Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parts: mirrors
your color code paint. i used duplicolor spray paint and took a straw and sprayed it into a container about a year ago and use it in my airbrush as i
clear coat
need it
tape
320 sand paper
exacto knife or razor blase
water bottle
paper towels
11mm wrench
long flat head screwdriver
beer or energy drink of choice:foshizzle:
i will post pics in order in a second post

1)first i removed the inner mirror bezel, then took an 11mm wrench and put some elbow grease on the three bolts. the bolt thats on the bottom corner you might have to undo it all the way with your fingers so you wont drop it in the door bezel...
2) second i took out the door inserts with a flat head screwdriver and unplugged the harness that controls the mirrors, and the harness that is clipped into the door that is needed to be removed in order to pull the mirrors out. dont worry about clipping the mirror harness back in at the end of the project. REPEAT for the other side!
3) third i got my mirrors and sanded them down with 320 grit paper. sand them down enough to where the factory texture is gone, you want a nice smooth finish.
4) next i washed them down and let them dry.
5) next i taped them up to resemble the cobra mirrors when painted.
6) i sprayed them down with 3 coats of adhesion promoter and let it sit for about 15 minutes
7) i poured spray paint from a can into my airbrush, and i layed down a light coat let it sit for about 5 minutes and continued to spray about 7 light coats in all.
8) i let it dry for about an hour
9) i sprayed 1 light coat of rustoleum clear coat from autozone and sprayed 3 more wet coats every 5 minutes
10) i removed the tape and sprayed clear coat on the black trim and and the whole mirror and let it dry for and hour
11) i installed the mirrors back

Attachments

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
from sanded to taped only

Attachments

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
adhesion promoter stage to first three coats of paint to removed taped and clear coated

Attachments

·
Formerly whyxitx
12,083 Posts
Looks good.

To anyone else doing this, study the lines of the cobra mirrors and tape them off like the mirrors looks. You will be a lot more pleased with the results! This was my favorite mod that i did to my sixxer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts