Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this question all the time.

This is how I repair my under dash wiring. This is a 1967 non tach set up.

This car came to me after the customer work 3 weeks on one of those great American Autowire wire loom kits.

These are some before photos of what I found.

It was kind funny how he was telling that he didn't see how he was going to mount his accel pedal.

This is what it look like after I removed the aftermarket wiring. The kit look to have hope on some of the things.
But the problem is where they want you to reuse some of your connectors from the old wiring.
The next photo you will see how not to connect wires. these pull apart with no effort.

The real work was fixing the real nice factory under dash wiring he cut
up to use that Painless wiring type set up.
Here is what I had to work with.

The main thing is solder all connection and use heat shrink.

This is what it should look like before it is taped up.

I clean all wire and connector with lacquer thinner, and then lube the plug with some WD-40.

here is what it looks like all fixed ready to install.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where to find terminals and connectors

I recently had to redo my wiring for my '73 and used an aftermarket kit.

[Wiring was corodded and the old owner cut and had simply twisted the wire ends together with no connector or shielding.]

Do you know where to get new pin terminals or connectors? I just ended up connecting the new wires to the old wires sticking out of the pins. Is there a place to buy these pins or are the wedge lock ford style connectors good fits into the connectors.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have 1973 Mach1 also.

This is me & my high school car.

In 1988 My first wife sold it for me with out me knowing. It was sitting in the garage for 3 years and I was not driving it. So she did not think I would mind.
12 years later I found my car again. It was abused in the the 90's. It was made into a drag car. Gutted sheet metal chop up to lighten the car up and a 460 installed in it.

This is how I found it. Bought it back for $400. I was just very happy I found it again.

Needless to say I had to find everything for it.

The wiring I bought the wiring off eBay for a 1973 with gauges, as you know you cant buy anything for a 1973 for wiring.
The factory wiring is very easy to install, it plugs into everything you need. With a little repairs & cleaned up it was ready to install.

The main thing I hate about those after market wiring kits,

THEY DO NOT COME WITH THE CONNECTORS!!!

Even for the easy years like 1965 to 1968's

They want you to use your old connectors on the set up.

I see a lot of wiring problems in my shop, The biggest one is with these aftermarket wiring kits.

People need to know NEVER USE SQUEEZE connectors to install anything.

Here is one I just got in. The wires pull apart with no effort.

If you ever insist using a after market wiring kit, be sure to solder all the connection together, and heat shrink them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh I know too well what you mean. I rewired it with what I had and an aftermarket kit. Needless to say, it basically works with (minus the dome light, key buzzer, and seat belt buzzer). I am just finishing the basic mechanical on it to get it running and drivable before I dismantle it all to get blasted and painted.

The previous owner also tried to turn it into a drag racer. It has some nice bonuses, but Im worried to what I might uncover after it gets blasted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you ever insist using a after market wiring kit, be sure to solder all the connection together, and heat shrink them.

+1 I hate messing with hack wiring jobs.I would not even wire in a stereo without taking the time to do it right.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I vote this thread should be made a sticky. Can we get a mod in here to do that, please?

·
Administrator
76,434 Posts
Would love to see a project thread on the 73?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts