Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to think about boost, but I don't want my motor to be s hp queen, I would like the torque to either be about same or more than my horsepower, how would I go about this? Sorry if there is a thread onthis. I just want to find out before I start peicing togethor a vortech kit

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,527 Posts
We measure torque we calculate horsepower. Look and any dyno sheet and the crossover is at 5252 rpm. That is because the horsepower formula is rpm x torque divided by 5252. The truth is horsepower and torque is irreversably linked.

I think a better question is how can I extend my torque into the higher rpm ranges. You do that with cams/springs and an intake that can handle the higher rpms. If all you want is lower torque then get truck cams. No horsepower but lots of low end pulling power.

·
Registered
6,972 Posts
Get a turbo. My torque is higher than my hp, but just a little more boost or cams and the hp will overtake the tq. I think the longtube headers helped out with the torque a little. Torque would be in the 350's without the headers. N/A going from stock manifolds to longtubes the car gained 13rwtq. With a centri blower your hp and tq figures will be close in the mid to upper 300's. Once you start making more power the hp will increase more than the tq.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha, well I have full bolt ons now, shorties and stage 1 comp cams, I kinda like the centris, cause its like a turbo, but less piping, and no y pipe

Basically what I would like is for peak numbers to be about equal, but still have some low end grunt to get up and go, I'm still learning about boost and have gone back in forth on which way I want to do it, I know twin skrew will have more torque down low than a turbo, but I'm not sure about a centri.
I remember looking at some people sheets and it will say for an example 456whp, and 414wtq, I would like say 456whp and 460whp, is this realistic? Those numbers are just made up, but you get the idea

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,527 Posts
456/460 on a stock block is a recipe for disaster. Don't just make up numbers. Tell us your goals and we can advise you toward them.

To get you motor to have higher torque than horsepower then you need to have an intake and cams that really move air. Our stock intake and cams are good to maybe 5800 rpms but then torque starts dropping off. Mathematically that causes horsepower to fall off. If you really want more torque than horsepower, then you have to get your torque early. Before rpms become a factor. Get a set of truck cams and you will be set.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm running a push-rod 5.0 with a Vortech V-2, and I put down 505hp/450tq to the wheels. And trust me, I do not lack low-end in any way, shape or form. I can flat annihilate the tires from a 5mph roll just by mashing the gas.

I can't see you not having plenty of low-end with a centri, unless you cam it to death.

Granted your engine is a bit different than mine, but I know the guys I've talked to running your style car with forced induction say they have a ton of low end.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I might get "bashed" for this, but in some ways I find torque over rated. Horsepower is what moves the car through the air at like 70mph+ And most of the times, when your shifting into the next gear, 3rd or 4th, its passed your torque band, and into the horsepower band...for that reason too.

Im making 415/400 with my Vortech. But if you want torque, go with a PD blower or turbo. A centri will never be a torque monster.

One way to make a centri have a lot of torque, is pulley it for say 18psi, throw a wastegate on there set it for 10psi. Then its hitting 8-10psi right at the fat part of the torque band, and the torque will be up way higher.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might get "bashed" for this, but in some ways I find torque over rated. Horsepower is what moves the car through the air at like 70mph+ And most of the times, when your shifting into the next gear, 3rd or 4th, its passed your torque band, and into the horsepower band...for that reason too.

Im making 415/400 with my Vortech. But if you want torque, go with a PD blower or turbo. A centri will never be a torque monster.

One way to make a centri have a lot of torque, is pulley it for say 18psi, throw a wastegate on there set it for 10psi. Then its hitting 8-10psi right at the fat part of the torque band, and the torque will be up way higher.
I've always thought hp equals speed, torque equals time to get there, but even if my car made 415/400, I would be happy cause that's close, not like 50 diffrence between the 2

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,527 Posts
Shaun is correct. Torque gets is reputation from really big piston motors that maxed at 5,000 rpms. My old 426 had 4.25" pistons. The valves started to float at 5,000 rpms. Our motors have 3.55" pistons. In Indy racing and NASCAR motors run in excess of 8,000 rpms. At that level it is horsepower not torque that wins races. Our little bitty motors are capable of 6,000 (sometimes 6,500) rpm. At that point horsepower is more important than torque.

By the way, I've collected a lot of data and there is absolutely no evidence that low end torque wins races. No one races at low rpms.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which vortech will be best for my desired power levels, I still would like room to grow once the bottom end is built, but I already know a ysi would be over kill at 400whp, and has anyone else heard of doing like he said and putting a 18lbs pully on?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,527 Posts
Which vortech will be best for my desired power levels, I still would like room to grow once the bottom end is built, but I already know a ysi would be over kill at 400whp, and has anyone else heard of doing like he said and putting a 18lbs pully on?
Did you sneak in a built motor somewhere? 18 psi will not be kind to stock rods.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look at shauns post, he mentioned running a 18lbs pully with a 10lbs wastegate spring, that's what I was refering to....

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
shauns post was for a built motor like me, i run 22lbs of boost, when i crack it im already making 10+ pounds so i have higher torque then HP when i hit it..you can run around 10lbs..12lbs is max but you dont want to risk blowing the motor. you can run 12lbs but need to have supporting mods so its more efficent and dont blow.

I ran a procharger with 10lbs of boost with a 3.40 pulley..car made 411 and 390 torque..then before that i ran 10lbs of boost but with no cams and i made 371/370.. hp and torque were exact..you can do it but i wouldnt aim for it, no need..car will make 400 hp and around 400 torque easily..id go procharger if you havent bought a vortech yet...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't bought anything yet, just figuring out which way I want to go, I've bought 1 thing and its a fuel pump, I am now thinking centri, now brand wise can someone explains the diffrences if any? I know of procharger, paxton and vortech, I've read some not so good things onthe paxtons, I hear vortechs are very effcient, if I'm wrong please correct me so I know

·
Registered
162 Posts
Shaun is correct. Torque gets is reputation from really big piston motors that maxed at 5,000 rpms. My old 426 had 4.25" pistons. The valves started to float at 5,000 rpms. Our motors have 3.55" pistons. In Indy racing and NASCAR motors run in excess of 8,000 rpms. At that level it is horsepower not torque that wins races. Our little bitty motors are capable of 6,000 (sometimes 6,500) rpm. At that point horsepower is more important than torque.

By the way, I've collected a lot of data and there is absolutely no evidence that low end torque wins races. No one races at low rpms.
HP only wins races on the long tracks. Bristol is all about torque off the corner.

I've been working on oval-track cars for nearly 20 years, worked in an engine shop for 3 years building oval-track engines. Torque off the corner is king when it comes to short tracks. That's why all the cheaters running 383's in the crate motor division dominate the short tracks, more torque off the corner.

We had tried a 377 (400 block w/350 crank) and the 383's would still pull us off the corner.

It's all about application. In drag racing where you're launching and shifting at high rpm, HP takes precedence, but you still need some torque to launch hard.

If you want to AutoX, I would think torque would also be very important so you could pull harder out of the corner.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Back to the topic at hand.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, auto x is what I would like, I come from dirt oval background, and you see what I mean, and why I would like more torque

Also what's the diffrence between a blow threw and none blow threw set up

1 - 20 of 91 Posts