Items you will need.
  • 3 deck of cards
  • A jack
  • 4 jack stands
  • breaker bar/air gun
  • 2 cans of plastidip
  • bucket of soapy water
  • a flathead screw driver
first off, this is plastidip, its spray on rubber. which you can find at home depot for $5 a can

First, grab your breaker bar or air gun and loosen all of your lugnuts
Next, Jack up your car and put it on jack stands

Then, just give your wheels a nice scrub down and dry them. No sanding is required.
Pop out your center piece of each wheel if you dont want to spray them. Just use a flat head screw driver, it pops right out
Next, Let air out of your tires and place your cards around the outer rim.
Now your ready to spray them, just spray a nice even coat on each wheel. It drys fast. Heres the first coat

Then apply a second coat and touch up every where you missed

Finally just touch up where ever needed.
Mount your wheels and air up your tires, pop in the center piece, and your ready to go

NOTE: if you messed up or if it ever starts to peel off, Its easy to remove and just repeat the process. It is very durable and should last a while.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yeah it's pretty cool, it just peels right off, no big deal. I used it on my winter rims, and the running horse in the front. I like it because if you aren't for sure if you will like something black, you can just spray it on, if you like it leave it, if not take it off. You can also make rims a glossy black, by putting some clear on it, but wait a couple of days to let the first coats dry and cure.

·
Cum On Me Bro
8,106 Posts
Might try this out on the DD to see how I like it. I've always considered painting my Cobra's rims a nice flat black....

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
I did this almost two years ago on my old car and when I decided it was time to take it off (maybe 8 months later) it was such a pain in the ass to get off!! I had to go and get like aircraft grade paint remover. Never again will I plastidip.

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
How's the maintenance on plastidip'd wheels? Water + soap ok? Wheel cleaners?
I second this question. I was actually planning on doing this to my rims on tuesday or wednesday glad I saw this thread. I will let everyone know about using it on chrome btw. :yes

·
Registered
889 Posts
interesting...

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
Pretty sick.:yes

I wonder if you could do it with the rims still on the car..

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
i wish i could see a pic of it on factory bullitt rims but with the lip left polished

1 - 20 of 168 Posts