Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Not a GT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the long metal piece that connects to the windshield weatherstrip it has developed a fair amount of rust, since the metal is thin I'm worried I need to act fast to prevent total loss of the part. Also on the latches the paint has flaked to reveal some kind of oxidation or corrosion. How would I go about handling these issues? I will post pictures briefly

·
Not a GT
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ill try to sand an reprint the rust but what abou the white corrosion on the latches?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yep, that's what I did. I sanded the whole thing and then I put some Rustoleum (i think that's what it was called) .It was the kind where you need a brush and paint it on..but I didn't paint it afterwards. It turned black on it's own as I applied it, I did several coats. It's been 3 years and the rust never came back. And it blends in.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ok ill try to sand an reprint the rust but what abou the white corrosion on the latches?
I sanded it till it was clean. Then I bought some of that touch up automotive paint and applied that on. I can't tell any difference. They sell it at all auto stores,small tube with a applicator/brush.:)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Do the same with the white corrosion, IIRC those parts are aluminum so the rust is just a different color and you should be able to take care of them in the same way. Just make sure to cover your interior as well as possible, dont want to have paint all over everything.

When I had my top replaced last year the people who did it just sanded it down and spray painted it with what looks like rustoleum and its held up good so far and you cant hardly tell the difference. They got overspray on my car though the shitheads.

·
Fashion Diva :D
2,269 Posts
White corrosion will eventually turn into regular rust if not handled. You can use a wire brush to get the white corrosion off of it. After that you can es. use a brush to apply a 'zinc-rich epoxy' paint over the cleaned area. Apply two coats in order to ensure that it will not rust again anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Remove as much rust as possabile, if it's rusted through nock it all of or cut it , as much as possisble, I then use a rust remover and try to remove as much as possible then get it a rust reformer to converter on what ever that didn't get removed an spray some undercoating, works like a charm and also paintable :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts