Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just popped in my GT sway bar in about 20 minutes.
Picked it up off a wreck GT for 35$

Ill probably take it off some other time and repaint it, but I did feel like screwing with that now.

Needed:
13mm socket/ratchet (1/4'' drive)
4 bolts
4 clips
sway bar
Jack
2 Jackstands

Safety wire and cutters if by yourself*

Install is really simple. The sway bar has 4 bolts, and 4 clips w/ nuts attached.

My pics are after install, but its simple enough to understand. NOTHING is different besides the bar is in there.
Here you see it in place.

Now, its easier with two people, i did this by myself and used some safety wire to help hold it up while I bolted in one side.

1. Jack the rear end of your car up.
2. Place Jack Stands for safety. Keep them close to the center to allow room for sway bar*

In the control arms are 4 holes. You will notice that one of these holes per control arm, has a bracket bolted into it. This bracket is holding the brake fluid line (or so I think) in place. Another safety mechanism. You'll either cut that or leave it, you choose. I left mine in place.

Here you see the bracket on the outside of the control arm. Once again the sway bar is already on.

3. You will un bolt this bracket on both sides. (13mm) socket works fine.
Let it hang out of the way.

4. Take the 4 bolts out of clips, leave clips in place on the sway bar.

5. With safety wire/two people, hold the sway bar in place as shown.

6. Slide the bracket back to its spot.

*You will NOT reuse the brackets bolt and nut* The sway bar bolt fits right in and will hold both just fine*

Here is the old bolt and nut you will not use:

7. Bolt the 4, 13mm sway bar bolts in place.

I could not find a TQ to tighten to, so I tightened as much as I could with a 1/4'' ratchet about 6'' long. So i know they aren't insanely tight.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
well thanks man this helped me out for this weekend on the install lol...how's it feel on the road? i know on my GT i liked how solid the rear felt...im hopeing for the same on the sixxer

repped

·
V6 BIOTCH
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhhh do you not keep up with my cam thread lol she's still sitting there ... broken down :(

But she's getting other parts like that while she waits.
And I figured it was so simple to type up and you wanted one, that id do it :)

The hardest part, was getting the jack under in a good spot to lift, the front end is jacked up atm lol

·
Registered
461 Posts
Weekend project. Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
How does it handle being thrown around corners?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I get back in town friday night. Grab the part from the jy saturday install saturday night play with all of sunday... weekend project.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm grabbing some other stuff for another project I've got going. Might even get to my windstar swap if I feel like it. weather + lack of motivation this weekend really drag ya down.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
so i can go to my local junkyard (LKQ) pull it off myself, saving the nuts and bolts with it and then throw that on my six? whats it supposed to help?

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
It's supposed to stiffen your rear suspension and help understeer.

Edit: DGT do you have an exhaust vid? I'm curious as to what that setup sounds like with cats.
i do, ill post it up later for you. i enjoy it. ill pm you as well

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
Thanks man. I'm running an O/R h right now. I like it but it sounds really raspy above like 3000. Wondering what hi flows make it sound like.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nice, been wanting to get one for a while....is the stock Gt one good or is aftermarket better???

1 - 20 of 52 Posts