Modded Mustang Forums banner

How to: Install HIDs

9K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  R3dFyre02 
#1 · (Edited)
So the mail man came today and brought me my HIDs. Well surprise surprise they came with no instructions... and the HIDs from DDM are different from MMRs HID that suck. I chose the 55w, 8000K, Dual beam, HID kit.

As promised.

Total time to figure it all out and install WITH OUT INSTRUCTIONS= ~2 hours.
With instructions= ~30 minutes
Difficulty= Easy

So for those who are stuck, maybe this will help.

First start by disconecting the battery

I decided to lay everything out on the floor and see how it all bolted up.

I actually removed the battery to have more room during the install. First thing was i removed the head light completly (Refer below if you dont know how to). This made things a lot easier!

(Yes i used old pictures because i didnt want to take pictures of the same thing twice)

After the head light was out I took out the light bulb and took the bottom, lets call it "shell case", and plugged it into the head light. The new lights are way longer. Almost twice as long as the MMR HID kit.

Take the rubber peices off, in this case the blue and clear peices. This will allow it to actually be locked in place by the back holder.

Next, after the shell is locked in, put the bulb in and lock it in. It should look like this. Use gloves for this process! NEVER EVER EVER TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR FINGERS! The oil on your hand will cause the bulb to pop.

See less See more
#2 ·
Plug the male and females up from the ballest to the lights. This part is plug and play. There really isnt an excuse for error. :eek:

I used the double sided tape to tape the ballest on to the side of the engine bay AWAY from anything too hot.

I hid all the wires between the batter and my head lights for a nice clean flush look. I used some zip ties to clean the engine bay better.

Next this part confused me for almost an hour. It came with only ONE BLUE PLUG! OUR CARS HAVE 2! I thought that they sent me the wrong one and then i decided to only hook it up. It was the only logical thing to do and it worked. Dont freak out... its not a mess up :mad::eek:

Put the battery back on, and properly hook up the ground and power wires.

Now your done!

#3 ·
Nice but where are the pics of how they actually look come on we need to see those haha. Just giving you a hard time nice write up by the way, but yeah let see them before and after pics. Also this is the DDM kit correct.

#7 ·
Nice job. I think you need to clean your engine bay. lol. How much was the kit?

#12 ·
hey :D, well i installed my kit 55w dual beam 8000k.
have an issue tho :(
when i turn them on, they go bright then dim then gradually go bright ( 5 seconds)
figured that is normal.
But real problem is sometimes the passenger side doesn't come on. (fix it by turning lights off then on again)
do both urs come on 100% time? or u experience same issue ?

#16 ·
this is a problem with the dual beams...my dads 03 f-150 had the same issue when i put the dual beam kit in it....you can get a power adapter for about $20 online that keeps it from happening...think of the shutting off as a way for your car to not blow up a stock bulb...however the car doesnt' know you put a HID kit on so it doesn't know it can now handle the power...the adapter fools the car into thinking nothing it out of the ordinary with the power....here is a link to the one i used on his truck

Error Code Eliminator - 3 (PAIR): HID Kits, DEPO Lights, BMW Bumpers & Lighting - DDM Tuning

reps if this helped

#13 ·
Bedojo, I have the same issue with mine, pass comes on the off. have to flick the lights back off and on for it to come on. not a reall uissue for me, but it does happen. when it warms up Im gonna swap the bulbs and see if the problem goes to the drivers side. I ordered a set of 55W balasts so once they get here (on the 5th) I will swp them in and see if the passenger side issue is still there.

#15 ·
Simple install. I replaced the Ballasts in mine with 55W ones and the issue i had with them not firing went away. Yay bad ballast... but now with my 55W 6000K D2S bulbs in retrofitted Acura TL projectors I'm LOVIN the light output. uber sharp cut off, nice blue color on it. great light output. maybe not go as far into it as I did, but I would definitely recommend them.

#21 ·
Instead of spending all the money on HID's, head to Advanced and ask them for the Nokia Blues... They are 18$ a pair and have lasted me since I installed my projectors... They are almost as blue as HID and a hell of a lot cheaper!

#24 ·
it's not just about the color...it's about the light you see when driving....a standard halogen including Nokia Blues, Cool Blues, and SilverStar Ultras don't even compare to the light you see when driving with a set of HIDs....i have 55w 5ks and since install i can't see at night when in non HID cars :eek:....the first thing i do when i get my next car is overnight DDMtuing HIDs to my front door....

#31 ·
6er, what's the difference between the HID kit slim Ballast and the Apexcone Raptor kit (the link you posted)? seems to me it is just the ballasts, but I don't understand why the 'heavier duty ballasts' are cheaper. I'm getting ready to order a kit and I'm just curious

#32 ·
Sorry for bringing up an old post but would the Raptor kit be all i need for HID? and would they work on a 97 GT? Thanks

#38 ·
I'm lost at the wattage still... I have no clue of what wattage mine are. All I know is I have 8K's up top and 3K's down bottom... If they are a lower wattage, if I upgraded to a higher wattage, would that mean more light output?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.