Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so many people have asked me about this i am just going to do a write-up. sorry but i don't have many pics.

What you will need:
HVLP paint gun (or any paint gun, doesn't matter)
Air compressor
all the **** you need for the paint gun (regulator, etc.)
Paint
Hardener
Activator
Red Scotch bright pads (i used like 5 or 6)
Tac-cloth
newspaper
masking tape
water
degreasing soap (purple soap, simple green, etc.)
jackstands
jack
respirator

1.Well first, you need to get the wheels off of the car. you should know how to do this by now.

2.You need to first clean you rims with the degreasing agent pretty well.

3. take your scotch bright pads and scuff up your wheels. You have to make sure that you get every crack and crevis really good.

4. repeat step 2.

5. take your newspaper and masking tape and cover up you tires (unless you are getting new ones soon or just don't care if your tires get painted aswell)

6. get your paint ready by using the hardener and activator and set your gun up according to what is recommended by your paint supplier.

7. wipe your rims down with a tac-cloth and get them up on something so they will be easier to paint.

8. begin painting your rims STARTING WITH THE BACK SIDE FIRST (hold the gun about 6-12" away from the rim as you paint.) you may want someone else there to help you turn the rim so you can get the top coated well. your first coat will be very light and just get most of the surface misted over and let that flash for 10 - 15 minutes depending on the weather. your second coat will be a medium coat and you should have the rim 95% coated by this coat then let it flash for 10 - 15 mins depending on the weather. the third coat will only be to fill in the spots that u didn't get very well then let it flash for 5 - 10 mins. turn you rim so you can get to the front and begin painting the front painting the same way you did the back (i set the wheel down on its back when i painted the front to make it easier on myself and to make it easier to paint).

9. repeat step 8 for the other 3 rims.

10. wait for the rim to dry for ATLEAST one day. i would recommend you wait 2 - 3 days before installation but i put mine on like the day after lol.

11. unwrap your rims and put them on the car, stand back and go "DDDAAAAMMMNNNN those look good".

12. wait about a week - 2 weeks then clean the wheels and wax them to help protect the finish.

13. rep me for taking the time to write this :p.

side notes: i didn't clear the wheels just simply because that acrylic enamel is hard as **** and hasn't flaked off and i have have my wheels painted for like a month. if i left anything out let me know. i will try and work on getting some pics.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You don't need to wetsand them. A scotchbrite pad is more than sufficient enough to rough up the surface enough to allow the paint to stick to it. I would say the SB pad works better because it allows you to get into those nooks and crannies easier.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You don't need to wetsand them. A scotchbrite pad is more than sufficient enough to rough up the surface enough to allow the paint to stick to it. I would say the SB pad works better because it allows you to get into those nooks and crannies easier. Although, you can wet sand the surface first with 800 grit to get a smoother finish and finish it off with a scotch brite pad.

·
Registered
889 Posts
thanks for this.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol sorry i forgot to take pics while i was doing it :p but you can wet sand after they cure for a smooth finish. although i didn't because i didn't feel like it was worth the extra time. my wheels are orange peeled because i didn't bother to wet sand them afterwards.

·
Registered
179 Posts
those rims actually look good black... reminds me of the 04 cobra stock rims that are painted black.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i was thinking of painting my stock rims black....would i use this same method? - basically just using them as winter rims...(any difference)????

- i have svt chrome 9inch base for summer :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts