Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted up recently about my problem with hesitation and the car's general falling on its face feeling between hard shifts on my supercharged 2000 GT. Everyone kindly pointed me to various PPRV delete threads, but when I opened up the tank, it was nothing like I had seen. Thus, I thought a quick thread on it might help others.

I won't go into how to drop the tank because it's the same for Cobras and GTs alike, and there are countless places to learn. I did reference this video, and it gave me everything I needed for dropping the tank. PPRV Delete for Dummies - Step by Step on Vimeo

This is a thread showing what an SVT Focus fuel pump looks like:
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/166027-svt-focus-fuel-pump.html

Now, on to the needed parts:
- 1 foot of submersible 3/8" fuel line (Gates makes it; it's sold at Carquest and NAPA locally - ~$30)
- 4 3/8" fuel line type smooth clamps (no worm gear clamps as they tear up the hose)
- 1 3/8" Nylon elbow (I got mine at Ace Hardware; make sure it is Nylon as other plastics may break down over time in gasoline. Nylon does not)

After the tank is dropped and the hat is removed, you can see the top of the fuel pump. The stock plastic accordion style hose goes from the fuel pump into the PPRV and then finally into the hat. Remove the plastic piece that receives two outlets from the fuel pump assembly where the plastic hose begins. It is held in with two screws (very tiny); be very careful not to lose them in the tank.

I used a small pair of snips I often use to cut tie wraps to length to slowly get under the edge of the stock plastic line and cut the line free from the plastic piece just removed. Remove the one screw hold in the PPRV, and remove and discard the PPRV and line. Remove the plastic line from the fuel hat in the same way.

Now, use the nipple on the plastic piece removed and the 3/8" Nylon elbow to measure how much of the 1 foot line you need to cut off. Make it a tiny bit longer, and cut it. Attach the line with the clamps, and have the elbow fact straight to the right (looking at the fuel tank from the front of the car) or toward the driver's side when the tank is installed.

Next connect the remaining length of line to the fuel hat and the Nylone elbow. Snake the line around the outside edge of the fuel pump assembly. I tested it many times, and this angle/bend of the hose is not going to kink. See the pictures below for reference. Put the fuel hat back on and install is the reverse of removal.

Any questions?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Great write up. I used 5/16 hose if I remember correctly. It is alot less likely to kink.
Maybe so, but it sucks trying to compress a bigger hose down to the right size with clamps. I really think this is the cleanest and easiest way to do the delete on this particular setup. The hose itself came is a plastic bag bent in the shape of a U. My bend ended up being even less of a bend that that. Plus, it already had a nice bend built in from being stored so long.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
what does this do and what does it stand for? lol

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am glad others are still getting mileage out of this thread. I am still going with the delete without issue. A must have mod for the boosted 2V. Watching other people try to start my car is funny, though.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I am glad others are still getting mileage out of this thread. I am still going with the delete without issue. A must have mod for the boosted 2V. Watching other people try to start my car is funny, though.

I don't get the "watching people try to start your car" part....

·
Registered
982 Posts
HAHAHAHA REPS BUDDY REPS.

I had to cut the hose that goes from said PPRV to the top hat just to get my basket out I'm so happy this was the right hose!!!

^ you probably have to prim the pump a few times before cranking her over.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't get the "watching people try to start your car" part....
It has to crank for a long time if you don't turn the car on and wait a few seconds first. The PPRV keeps fuel in the line when the car is sitting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this post again, but the pics are gone. Any chance you have these pictures still? Also, what was the final decision on the hose size to use, 5/16, or 3/8?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
Jonwrong has not been active for about a year. To find out click on his name, go to statistics, go to posts, and look at his last post.

I was always interested in his posts. He was running a Saleen PD supercharger. Like me he had over 100,000 miles supercharged but I've not seen him on the forum for some time.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts