Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, the pa winter absolutely destroyed my polished aluminum wheels and they've started to pit. i was wondering if any of you guys knew the process to restore these wheels. i've heard start sanding them down with a rough grit then eventually make your way to a finer grit gradually. if any one has any info thatd be great. thanks guys!

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
move this too the detailing section mods!
and also, give us some pics, so we can help you! ;)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah, you can sand them down with whatever you need to get the pits out then slowly work your way up to around 2000 grit wet sanding. After that a good polish and they'll look like new.

If it's really deep pitting it might require too much sanding and you'd really have to work to make sure that you don't end up sanding off enough to make it look weird.

Do you have any closeups of them?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not atm but they were only on the car for one winter.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Optimum metal polish followed by Blackfire all metal sealant

·
9k All Day.
3,449 Posts
no sanding..:spank

exactly what danny said, ive seen results, and worked AWESOME.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Polishing will not get rid of the pitting though. That is the problem. You will need to remove some of the aluminum to get rid of the pitting. Personally, I would just polish them, like Danny said, and see if I can live with the pitting. Optimum Metal Polish is one of the tp products, from what I have read. I have never used it, but I do know anything that says Optimum on it is great stuff. Mothers also makes an excellent aluminum polish. Personally it is my favorite for larger jobs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts