Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know much about cams im a noob at that,how do you consider lets say a TFS1 Camshaft is better then a E303 camshaft? What numbers are you looking at to justify one cam is better then the other? Heres the specs..

TrickFlow stage 1

Basic Operating RPM Range 2,000-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 221
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 225
Duration at 050 inch Lift 221 int./225 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 283
Advertised Exhaust Duration 291
Advertised Duration 283 int./291 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.499 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.510 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.499 int./0.510 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees) 112

E303 Camshaft..

Basic Operating RPM Range 2,500-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 220
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 220
Duration at 050 inch Lift 220 int./220 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration 282
Advertised Exhaust Duration 282
Advertised Duration 282 int./282 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.498 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.498 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.498 int./0.498 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees) 110

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Its not so much which is better but which is bettter for your application and other mods.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically a cam is only good when you have supporting mods?

BBK CAI
BBK 70MM TB
Cobra upper/ported lower
Stock 1990 bottomend
E7's ported (Yea I kno lol)
Crane 1.7's RR
BBK UDP water/crank/alternator
MSD 6al
MSD wires
MSD distru
MSD coil
BBK longtubes
BBK X pipe flowmaster dumped
Alum driveshaft
8.8 with 4.10's

So with these mods what would be the better cam for Nitrous mmm 100 shot so to say...

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Cams would def help you get more air in and out with your mods. Nitrous cams are different then NA cams. I dont know cam specifics to tell you whats better than the other. But in general a higher stage cam will give more peak HP but sacrifice some torque. People will argue night and day what cam is better but in the end your gonna end up with some good gains no matter what you get. I just ordered stage 1 blower cams from Modular Head Shop, hopefully they arrive this week. Personally I like cams design by smaller companies that pay more attention to detail and prolly work a lil better. MHS also has a Cam Degree service which save the you the time and expense of degree the cams after you get them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the E303 and couldnt really get the car to run right so I put back in the stock cam. Have heard great things agout the TFS Stage 1 cam. Let me know how the ported E7's work with the GT40 intake. Got a spare set of heads was going to port in my garage and I was told the GT40 is coinsidentally port matched from factory but was told to go no bigger than 65 on the TB to keep it crispy.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i went from a stock cam(no tune) to TFS1 (tunned) Ill have to post up the comparison vids. i hadnt looked at the specs. not too savy on specs, still learning.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
another difference between the two cams is the material there made out of. My understanding is trick flow uses better materials, that dont flex under high RPM, or some thing to that effect....I'm not sure its worth a cam swap if you have the stock E7 heads, not saying that you wont see a HP increase but your going to leave a lot of HP on the table. You should skip the cam and save up for a good set of heads and then buy a cam that complements the the new heads and supporting mods

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this is the thing,I put the motor in already with the E303 and I was reading on the forums,people like you said argue day and night that the TFS1 cam is better then the alphabet cams and there outdated blaa bla bla..So I bought a used TFS1 for 125 bucks..But i started to compare them and there almost identical,so thats why im asking is it worth the headach to swap out the E303 cam for the TFS1 or just keep the E303?

@ 95red5.0-I mean with this setup this **** is pulling HARD i mean it feels like a low 13 sec car but then again im just bench racing and I have 4.10's lol..Only reason I got the E7's was because there were ported,they just came back form the machine shop and had Doubled springs for 50 bucks! So i took them since my last heads grenaded lol (Piston went kaboom) but if I had to do it again,id save up for some Alum's i seen some people sell some TW heads for 650 bucks with 1.6RR's!!!! I mean why port E7's when you can go GT40P's and port them with a nice cam you know?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
They're both SADI core cams. In my opinion, the TFS cams aren't much better than the letter cams. If you've already got the e cam in there, don't bother swapping them.

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
I personally love Comp cams and I have a Comp XE270HR-12 in my Stang now but as mentioned before, it really does come down to personal preference. The E7 heads, though ported, are still holding you back though. You'd see a substantial gain switching to aluminum heads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts