Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my daily driver is really starting to piss me off!! It sounds hideous and the whine is seriously louder than some superchargers which is just flat out embarrassing. It whines idle, it whines when im driving in a straight line and gets even louder when doing slight turns. (not lock to lock) I got 127,000MI

Ive seriously flushed it out 3 times and it doesn't do anything. Are other peoples power steering this noisy?? Will a replacement do the trick? Ive also noticed my wheel takes slightly more effort than my buddies 99 GT.

How much is a new pump assembly that wont make noise? and is it hard to install a new one?

Heres some videos? what are some other things i can do?

Video 1 (car at idle) maybe 600rpm

Video 2 (reving)

Video 3 (driving making slight turns)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually replaced mine when I got the car. Fixed it for a while, then it came back. I got it replaced under warranty for it. The new one whines just as much. From what I've heard, it's just the luck of the draw. Some pumps won't make the noise, some will.

Mind you, the replacement was an OEM part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
have you guys checked the power steering fluid? Mine makes a noise, but not as loud as that. I can only hear it while idle. But I know that I need to change my power steering. Its advise that if its black then you should flush it... If its black or gritty then you really need to flush it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine does the same thing. It's very very loud. Mine had black colored fluid in there and I flushed it but am guessing the pump is going bad. I didn't notice any harder steering but its very loud when idle. driving, revving, turning and everything else. Maybe putting in some of that "PowerSteering noise reduction type fluid will help a little until a new pump is placed.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
They make powersteering fluid that can help with the whine, but if you steering is getting heavier you should replace your pump soon; It is dying. Also replace your PS hoses too. You should when replacing the PS pump to avoid rot getting into the new pump.

·
6 Time ROTM Loser!
5,163 Posts
like people said, check your fluids.

I had to replace my power steering pressure line, and since I lot a lot of fluid, it was noisy till I filled it back up then went away...so you may just be getting a little low.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Power steering flush.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Another possible issue is a small leak in the lines. What will happen is the pump will suck air into the lines and air-rate the fluid which will cause the same noise. Don't automatically assume it is the pump.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I used to have power steering whine then I got a supercharger! Now I can't hear it over the supercharger whine.

But in all seriousness mine has whined bad since I bought the car. ~50k miles on it with 0 problems and the steering works perfectly. If your fluid is full and you can live with the noise I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
I used to have power steering whine then I got a supercharger! Now I can't hear it over the supercharger whine.

But in all seriousness mine has whined bad since I bought the car. ~50k miles on it with 0 problems and the steering works perfectly. If your fluid is full and you can live with the noise I wouldn't worry about it.
Atleast until the pump and rack prematurely wear out due to something small. :D

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Atleast until the pump and rack prematurely wear out due to something small. :D
Hey, they've lasted 90k so far. If they were going to wear out prematurely they should have done so about 50k miles ago. At this point I'd expect them to be almost wore out anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts