Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with my car. I would like to replace the spark plugs. Does anyone know exactly where they are located and how to get to them. Pictures would help

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
They're under the Coil-Overs....They should have a black and green stocker on top of them...They're close to the orange injectors.. I'd show you a picture but it's not close enough for me to point it out. They're around the fuel rails though pretty much next to each injector...The coil packs are black and cylinder shaped on top with a green and black sticker on top.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i stated to take the thing covering them off, gas came out so i put it back on, now gas seemed to be leaking when i drove it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
when i stated to take the thing covering them off, gas came out so i put it back on, now gas seemed to be leaking when i drove it.
You sure you were disconnecting the COPs and not the fuel rail? You do not have to pull the fuel rail to pull the COP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did start to pull the fuel rail off cause i was told to and now i have a really bad fuel smell and i think it might be spitting out fuel when i drove it down the road. I put it back on, could it be leaking at all now that i took it off. By the way fuel did spill when i took it off.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
yeah, bro, that was the fuel rail. best thing honestly, get yourself a Haynes book or Chilton's manual for your car. it will help with little things like this. even with pics here, it might be kinda hard to really show what we're talking about.
the Coil on Plugs don't actually connect at all to the fuel rails. you don't have to pull the fuel rails off to remove them. the fuel rails are the long silver things running along each side if the top of the engine. the things connected to the rails are the fuel injectors. near each fuel injector, you will see a round black object (4 on each side of the engine). there will be an electrical connector on each one. remove the COP by disconnecting it, and i believe there's a bolt holding it in place. remove the bolt, and the COP should pull right out. look down into the hole and you'll see the spark plug. remove it, replace it with a new one. put some anti seize on the threads and screw the new one in. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: do not over tighten the spark plug. these cars are notorious for blowing plugs out of the head. hand tighten it, then torque to 7- 14 ft lbs. if you don't have access to a torque wrench, take it to 1/2 turn past hand tight. recheck after 500 miles and tighten as necessary. make sure the engine is cold. installation of the COP is the reverse of removal. repeat for each spark plug. i may have missed some stuff, but i'm sure other guys will fill in any blanks i missed...

·
Registered
360 Posts
i did start to pull the fuel rail off cause i was told to and now i have a really bad fuel smell and i think it might be spitting out fuel when i drove it down the road. I put it back on, could it be leaking at all now that i took it off. By the way fuel did spill when i took it off.
:eek:this is very dangerous since your engine can catch on fire!!!

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
:eek:this is very dangerous since your engine can catch on fire!!!
+1 Make sure you get it figured out before driving the car. It would suck to loose a mustang to an engine fire. As soon as the gas hits the hot headers its game over. Hopefully you carry a fire extinguisher!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I just changed my spark plugs yesterday..... FIRST OFF... make sure you dont have a leaking prob with your fuel rail... after you solve that issue, the plugs are under a black plastic circle looking thing.... IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE FUEL RAIL IN ANY WAY, there is only one screw that holds it on, then just move it out of the way of the rail, and pull up.. You will pull out the plastic thing, and a rubber tube thing connected to it.... Then, your spark plugs are about 3-4 inches down... unscrew them.... when you put them on, try to torque them to 11lbs... if not, hand tighten them, then tighten them with a ratchet about 1/2 to 3/4s of a turn...,

(((( WHAT WILL HELP THE PROCESS!! = Anti seize, put this on the new plug threads, and the COP bolts to harness them back on... antiseize will make the plugs go in smoother! And will keep the threads from locking together.....

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Could the fuel rail be leaking now that i took it off?
Maybe. Check it at idle when cold and make sure there is no fuel leaking at all. Use the smell test and if you smell gas, use the finger test and find out where it is. Maybe you unseated an "O" ring or pinched one. Make sure you are 100% sure there is no leak before driving it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put it back on but didnt clean the fuel off before my wife drove it again. whats the best way to get the fuel off the engine so it doesnt cause any problems.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Id just dry it off with a towel or sumthn, then take a moist ( semi-wet cloth) and wipe around, then wipe that off.... you probably are smelling the fuel you smelt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now gas is leaking very bad from the fuel rail...does the fuel injector have to be replaced or can I get a new seal or something???

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Pull the rail off and check all the o rings. You might have pinched one. Its not a bad fuel injector. Put the rail back on very carefully making sure that all the injectors are in the right orientation and not sideways, and that you push down straight on top of them.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Pull the rail off and check all the o rings. You might have pinched one. Its not a bad fuel injector. Put the rail back on very carefully making sure that all the injectors are in the right orientation and not sideways, and that you push down straight on top of them.
+ 1....... check the o-rings, Someone tell him how to get rid of all the gas pressure b4 he does this, (the inertia switch).... id tell em but im gettin off, gotta go help dad get the 78 F100 running

1 - 17 of 17 Posts