Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was tired of constantly tapping my TCS button to shut it off every time that I got in the car. When I forgot, I'd get that familiar shudder and feeling of the TCS kick on when I floored it. After lots of frustration, I found a few write ups on how to wire a relay to automatically shut off the TCS. I had some trouble with it, so I though I'd make a guide for dummies.

This mod is useful for all 05-09 GT owners, especially people with F/I, as the TCS pulls fuel instead of spark. Even though TCS can be disabled via tune, it leaves an annoying light on your dash and its not able to be turned back on via the button. Wiring a relay in allows you to retain use of the button, as if there was no relay.

What I used:

3 colors of 18 GA wire
Package of crimp on female connectors
package of wire taps
regular relay
add a fuse
10A fuse
zip ties
3M two sided tape
shrink wrap

You will need to disassemble the center console. Remove the upper console piece by unscrewing the 2 screws under the center console lid. Lift up on that and remove it from the car, or just position it out of your way. You will then have to remove the two side trim pieces on either side of the radio by pulling them straight towards you. Once you have those removed, you have to unscrew the 7mm (6) screws that hold the finish piece on over the radio. You can either remove the whole panel by disconnecting the 3 plugs on the top and the 2 on the bottom, or just try to work around it.

I first tried to tap into a source that was hot only on start to avoid using an add a fuse. I was unsuccessful, so I tried using an add a fuse. I tapped into a hot on start fuse with the add a fuse. Fuse 20 in the smart junction box. Its in the passenger footwell. Put in your add a fuse and connect one color of wire to the end of the add a fuse. I chose to use red.

Next I ran my hot wire along the firewall to the center console. I attached it to another harness with zip ties.

Connect your red wire to the relay on terminal 85.

Next you will need to ground the relay. You'll want to splice two pieces of black wire together so that you end up with two places to add female connectors and one longer length of wire to run to the metal center console bracing to ground the circuit. Slide a piece of shrink wrap over each piece of bare wire, crimp on a female connector, slide the shrink wrap over it, and shrink it! Plug these female connectors on to terminals 85 and 86 of your relay. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of my finished product, but here is what it should look like before the female connectors and shrink wrapping. The longer "tail" is what will be bolted to the center console. The other two ends get connectors and shrink wrap

Now take your last color of wire and one of your wire taps. Locate the TCS wire. You'll be looking for YEL/PNK or WHT/PINK. Its pin #7. Now you will want to place the TCS wire and your last color of wire in the wire tap and press the metal guillotine down with a pair of pliers. Snap it shut and run your wire down to the relay.

Once you have enough wire to reach the relay, snip it, strip it, add a female connector and shrink wrap it. You'll plug this into terminal 30 on the relay. Once you have all your wires connected, you will ground the relay and you can mount it right by the ground. I used the bolt in this picture behind the wiring.

All I did was take the bare end of the black tail and loop it under the bolt. You could buy a crimp on loop at radio shack if you want. I then took a small piece of 3M tape and taped it to the metal support of the instrument panel. Before mounting, make sure the relay is working!

The relay will flip the switch when you try to start the car. All you have to do is turn the key to run. If the relay is working, your TCS light on the TCS button will light up. If its not working, the light will stay off. As you turn the key to run, the relay will turn the TCS on and off.

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
nice write up! mine is shut off in my tune but for those who dont go that route this is awesome info rep sir..

·
Noob
828 Posts
I was just about to say that. If you have a tuner, you can just turn it off with that.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you shut it off with a tuner, the only way to turn it back on is with a tuner. If you wire up the relay, you can still use the switch as needed.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
my biggest issue with doing it in the tune is the dash lights. as soon as i get a house i'll start working on all the little things like this and installing the rest of my parts

·
Noob
828 Posts
Yea it bugs me seeing that traction light on all the time too

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
This is one of the first things I did to my car after buying it. Best little convenience mod ever. The trunk release wired to the up function of my extra factory custom window switch (long story) is a close second. The real advantage to this is having the ability to turn on the TCS on the fly, without having to stop the car and spend the time plugging in the tuner and all, while still having it off the majority of the time without having to hit the button everytime you start the car. The extra bonus is not having that little yellow out of control car lit up on my dashboard. I don't think I used the same 'hot in start only' circuit, but a great write up. I'm not sure why everybody hasn't done this simple little fix.
The only draw back is that if for some reason your car doesn't fire up on the first crank, and you just start it again by turning the key from the on position, it will turn back on again. If you don't turn the key back to the off position before attempting the second start, the car thinks you've hit the TCS button twice, turning it off, and then back on again. My car sits for a few days at a time now and I tried to drive off before she was fully warmed up and she died on me. Well I just cranked the key again and drove off. A little later I came into a corner a little too fast and tried to square it off with a quick goose of the throttle. Well she sputtered as the understeer I couldn't correct with the throttle swung me a little wide on exit, making me feel like an idiot.
On a side note, I tried to do this same little mod with my O/D button for the tranny. I don't like my car in fifth till I'm at least going 60+. Anyways, when I start my car the O/D light comes on for a second indicating the overdrive function is off, and then a second later, the light goes off and fifth gear becomes active again. It must have to do something with some kind of start up sequence/programming or something along those lines. Can any of you electrical folks out there figure out how to make this work? I think if I could delay the relay signal from the start circuit I could get this to work but I'm not sure on how.

·
Slow 3v
1,081 Posts
Nice. Ill do this to my car once I get back from deployment. First thing I do after starting up the car is hit the traction control button.

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
I love to see my dashboard lighting like a Christmas tree :D makes me feel ama bad boy lol, reps for the write up

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Nice write-up.

Can't rep you...gotta spread it. Someone else rep this man.

·
its JUSA 2V
3,411 Posts
Mines shut off in my tune as well but if this was posted before my tune i woulda done it ...

And on my tuner i left tc on on the 89octane so if i need it i just upload that tune... reps though when i get home

- Sent from the cellular

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Hmmm mines not working and i followed your guide. Tabling for now.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

My light comes on for a few seconds then goes off. I checked my connections and theyre good. Doubke checked your write up and its exact. Ideas?

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine was doing that too. Are you sure it's grounded properly? Did you use the add a fuse or tap into another line?

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Add a fuse. Grounded to same bolt you did by looping. Should I check it again?

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Make sure you are tapped in to the right fuse. When I was tapped in to the wrong wire, it would flash on and off. If you can tap your ground wire and get the light to come on and off, your hot wire isn't right.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Make sure you are tapped in to the right fuse. When I was tapped in to the wrong wire, it would flash on and off. If you can tap your ground wire and get the light to come on and off, your hot wire isn't right.
I tapped fuse 20 like you said. I'll try tapping to see.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts