Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy bought a 98 gt with a fewmods on it and is swapping in a 4v. He thinks it has a pi intake on it and says i can have it for free so i can paint it. So how do i tell if its a pi?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
PI has an aluminum crossover tube on the front.

NPI's did aswell if they were replaced. My car did anyways. If you look into the bay of the motor you can tell because the PI is friggin huge and the NPI looks like a joke. Theres also something to do with the way the runners go. I think on PI the first one starts on the drivers side.

Why do you want one anyways if you have an 03 GT?

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Not all PI's had the aluminum crossover I think the earlier PI models didn't. If im wrong someone will correct me. My 96 tbird with the 4.6 npi has the aluminum crossover on it and its an npi intake not a pi swapped intake.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
NPI's did aswell if they were replaced. My car did anyways. If you look into the bay of the motor you can tell because the PI is friggin huge and the NPI looks like a joke. Theres also something to do with the way the runners go. I think on PI the first one starts on the drivers side.

Why do you want one anyways if you have an 03 GT?
He only wanted to know how to tell if the intake is PI not the engine, unless you mean the intake itself is big. He wants to paint it.

Not all PI's had the aluminum crossover I think the earlier PI models didn't. If im wrong someone will correct me.
You are correct, the aluminum crossover wasn't introduced until late 01 I believe.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i only want it so i can paint it and have a side project and not have my car in more pieces than it already is plus its free so why not?. And the intake on the left in that pic is for sure is a npi?

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
The one on the right came on NPI and 99-01 PI mustangs. However, the one on the right is the Ford racing PI intake that came on any mustang between late 01-04.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
my late 01 didnt come with the aluminum crossover

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
look at the one thats on your car and compare it to the one on his engine. that will tell you if its PI there will be a noticable size difference

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Straight, neatly stacked runners = NPI

Big, lumpy wavy runnuers = PI

Aluminum coolant crossovers don't tell you anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts