Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new tuner from BlowByRacing with 3 new tunes, I would like to get more into the tuning part of my car. My question is, is there a good how to tune book out there?

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Yeah-It's called "Take it to a professional". A reputable one.

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, thats not a good answer. I program PLC's at work so I have a natural curiosity on how to control the Mustang computer

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
what is there to really tune. you dont have anything crazy just a mild set up that almost anyone out there can tune. i can't imagine you could squeeze anymore out of it without being on the edge. but if your dead set on it, you can always look into taking one of sct's online classes. that should definately teach you something and be enough for your setup.
http://www.sctflash.com/scttraining.php

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a want to know thing. I am always learning something. I've gone to school for many years for my job. Its time for me to learn something for me..

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
well sign up for there class. you'll learn all sorts of stuff

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GOOD Point, Do you know of anyone who has?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Good luck with that.

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
with what?

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
GOOD Point, Do you know of anyone who has?
I think Towelly went to Florida (? or wherever) and took the SCT class. Tuning these motors is not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. The principles of tuning a motor hasn't changed much through the decades, but the method of tuning has. A/F ratio and ignition timing is about it. As far as tuning with the software it is all about putting the proper values into the tables for the car to figure out what you want. In the old days it was all about changing the jets on a carb, turning the A/F adjustment screws, positioning the distributor, and figuring out how you wanted to advance the timing.
All of those adjustments that we used to do mechanically is now just done through a computer. It's not so much being a computer wiz as it is being versed in how to tune a motor. Not everyone has the apptitude/knowledge to do this, but if you understand the principles of the 4-stroke internal combustion engine and how to get power out of it, it should be pretty easy for someone like you to tweak their own tunes.

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good to know, I use to be into RC cars and trucks and I use to rebuild engines and set up there carbs. It was very interesting to me even thou they were only 2 stroke... My Stang is a hobby for me and I want to learn everything I can.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
No, thats not a good answer. I program PLC's at work so I have a natural curiosity on how to control the Mustang computer
It's one thing to want to know how a tuner sets up a tune, but if you don't know exactly what you're doing, and why, you might satisfy your natural curiosity on what it's like to blow your **** up.:eek:

(I'm not trying to be rude or anything...)

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had just learned of the liability's of tuning your own car. I feel that I need to forget this notion and move on to something a little safer.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Go for it. Learn all you can and someday people may be paying you the thousands of dollars to tune there ****. I am a huge suppoter of the do it yourself and learn something movement. unless it is cost effective for me to outsource something, I am doing it myself.

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes it does!

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
I think Towelly went to Florida (? or wherever) and took the SCT class. Tuning these motors is not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. The principles of tuning a motor hasn't changed much through the decades, but the method of tuning has. A/F ratio and ignition timing is about it. As far as tuning with the software it is all about putting the proper values into the tables for the car to figure out what you want. In the old days it was all about changing the jets on a carb, turning the A/F adjustment screws, positioning the distributor, and figuring out how you wanted to advance the timing.
All of those adjustments that we used to do mechanically is now just done through a computer. It's not so much being a computer wiz as it is being versed in how to tune a motor. Not everyone has the apptitude/knowledge to do this, but if you understand the principles of the 4-stroke internal combustion engine and how to get power out of it, it should be pretty easy for someone like you to tweak their own tunes.

I sure did. Worth every penny. Learned a lot of new stuff. So far in my experience tuning is not all that difficult, just time consuming. Also, you must be very careful and precise. You must know exactly what your adjusting before you adjust it. Also, you must tune everything as a system or you will be implementing band aids as you go and that will get messy. Best to know exactly what your doing before you do it. I don't recommend the "poke and hope" method of tuning.

As far as books, the best one I have read so far is this one:
Amazon.com: Engine Management: Advanced Tuning (9781932494426): Greg Banish: Books

The above book taught me the most of any I bought. When I started thinking about learning I bought every book I could get my hands on. From Maximum Boost to designing and engineering efi systems.

The class I took was Greg Banish's Advanced Ford class. It was held at the SCT facility in Orlando. Upon completion you get "calibrator" level status with SCT which gives you access to every option in the Advantage software sweet. Among other things. If you have any other questions let me know.

http://www.calibratedsuccess.com/Ford%20Advanced.htm

·
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had added this book to my wish list!! Thanks

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
In my eyes if you want to actually look into tuning than you must take the class or not even mess with it at all. I've thought about it but I just know that it's safer and easier for me to let Justin @ VMP Tuning tune it. I think if I didn't have such a great tuner in my backyard that I would venture out and take the course. Learn the ropes, etc. Personally, I think you made the right decision considering the liability of blowing your motor up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts