Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
On a related note, my SCT X3 unlocked itself while datalogging.

I was doing some datalogging on my car, improperly disconnected it and then then next time I used it on my brother's truck to datalog it was unlocked. It's definitely possible but unless you really know what you're doing and are willing to spend the time/money to figure it out then it won't happen.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
On a related note, my SCT X3 unlocked itself while datalogging.

I was doing some datalogging on my car, improperly disconnected it and then then next time I used it on my brother's truck to datalog it was unlocked. It's definitely possible but unless you really know what you're doing and are willing to spend the time/money to figure it out then it won't happen.
Are you sure it was unlocked? I'm pretty sure you can use datalogging and other functions on the tuner other than actually tuning on multiple cars even if it's locked

·
Banned
1,091 Posts
It should be criminal for a company to lockdown their devices after it's sold. After all you pay for it, it's in your possession, and it should be yours to do whatever the hell you want with it.

P.S. Nothing is unbreakable..... Just harder than things you broke before.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Are you sure it was unlocked? I'm pretty sure you can use datalogging and other functions on the tuner other than actually tuning on multiple cars even if it's locked
Very, It says "Status: Unlocked". You can datalog other vehicles while it's locked but now mine is unlocked and I still have procharger tune on my car. I should take it apart again sometime and see if I can see anything that's been connected to on the inside. This is one that I picked up free, sent to SCT and paid $150 to have unlocked. When it came back one of the case tabs is broke and it's obviously been superglued together so I know they opened it.

It should be criminal for a company to lockdown their devices after it's sold. After all you pay for it, it's in your possession, and it should be yours to do whatever the hell you want with it.
Yeah, and then SCT would make almost no money and go out of business. I'm fine paying for all the research, hardware and software that they provide.

·
Banned
1,091 Posts
Yeah, and then SCT would make almost no money and go out of business. I'm fine paying for all the research, hardware and software that they provide.
Umm, so making people send back their product in to get unlocked is solely for research purposes? Better idea, add a fee onto the price to cover R&D.

Look it is complete bull for a company to tell me I can only do certain things with a product after I buy it. You know what companies get for doing things like that? That's right, they get raped by hackers. Do you know why the PSN network went down? Cause Sony was so uptight about their hardware they told the guy he couldn't crack his own bought and paid for product. They sued! him over it. That's about as childish as someone getting mad at someone for using a gift they bought them as a paperweight or a door stop, guess what, once it's in their hands it's theirs and they should be able to do what they want with it.

Seriously, how you can back a company trying to tell you what you can or can't do with something is beyond me. Please explain to me why you want a company to tell you what you can or can't do with things.

FYI Google does a ton of R&D without asking me pay for updates to my android..... My google maps has been updated about 15 times since I got my phone and they never charged me for all the additions they made.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Umm, so making people send back their product in to get unlocked is solely for research purposes? Better idea, add a fee onto the price to cover R&D.

Look it is complete bull for a company to tell me I can only do certain things with a product after I buy it. You know what companies get for doing things like that? That's right, they get raped by hackers. Do you know why the PSN network went down? Cause Sony was so uptight about their hardware they told the guy he couldn't crack his own bought and paid for product. They sued! him over it. That's about as childish as someone getting mad at someone for using a gift they bought them as a paperweight or a door stop, guess what, once it's in their hands it's theirs and they should be able to do what they want with it.

Seriously, how you can back a company trying to tell you what you can or can't do with something is beyond me. Please explain to me why you want a company to tell you what you can or can't do with things.

FYI Google does a ton of R&D without asking me pay for updates to my android..... My google maps has been updated about 15 times since I got my phone and they never charged me for all the additions they made.
If they weren't locked to a vehicle then SCT could only really sell these to dyno tuning shops as the price would probably have to be 50k+ per unit to cover their costs. You act like SCT is making billions in profit. They're a large company with large costs and locking devices allows them to stay in business. If you're not OK with that then go use a tuning device that doesn't lock itself to your vehicle. They exist but the companies can't afford to put nearly as much into R&D and thus are extremely hard to use in comparison.

Google makes tons of money by injecting ads in everything and collecting and selling information about you. This is hardly a logical approach for SCT to take.

·
Banned
1,091 Posts
If they weren't locked to a vehicle then SCT could only really sell these to dyno tuning shops as the price would probably have to be 50k+ per unit to cover their costs. You act like SCT is making billions in profit. They're a large company with large costs and locking devices allows them to stay in business. If you're not OK with that then go use a tuning device that doesn't lock itself to your vehicle.
That makes no sense, being able to unlock the device does not change the number of people who want to buy tuners for their car.

It also makes no sense to tell me everytime I change cars, sell cars, replace cars, that I need to send in a unit to be unlocked for 150$. I don't have to send in my stereo system if I swap it between cars, you know why? The purchase isn't tied to the car.

I would understand if an ONSTAR system which is registered with a vehicle at time of production/purchase needed that, it's a package deal with the car. A tuner is a completely separate purchase.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
That makes no sense, being able to unlock the device does not change the number of people who want to buy tuners for their car.

It also makes no sense to tell me everytime I change cars, sell cars, replace cars, that I need to send in a unit to be unlocked for 150$. I don't have to send in my stereo system if I swap it between cars, you know why? The purchase isn't tied to the car.

I would understand if an ONSTAR system which is registered with a vehicle at time of production/purchase needed that, it's a package deal with the car. A tuner is a completely separate purchase.
You don't have to send it in at all to change cars. You just have to set your other car back to stock and then plug it into your new vehicle.

If one tuning shop could use the same tuner on 10,000 cars then nobody would have a reason to buy their own and SCT would have to charge 10,000x more for that one device.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
Very, It says "Status: Unlocked". You can datalog other vehicles while it's locked but now mine is unlocked and I still have procharger tune on my car. I should take it apart again sometime and see if I can see anything that's been connected to on the inside. This is one that I picked up free, sent to SCT and paid $150 to have unlocked. When it came back one of the case tabs is broke and it's obviously been superglued together so I know they opened it.
Hmmm...that's interesting. If you do ever open it please take some pics and let me see. I wouldn't mind taking a look at that...

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
You don't have to send it in at all to change cars. You just have to set your other car back to stock and then plug it into your new vehicle.

If one tuning shop could use the same tuner on 10,000 cars then nobody would have a reason to buy their own and SCT would have to charge 10,000x more for that one device.
I'm not sure he understands what is being said here but this post sums it up.

T

·
0 Posts
Ok sorry guys for the miscommunication. The SCT X3 I have is mine and I bought it new so I can tune my GT without a problem. I am asking so I can tune my friends gt for him without having to un do my tune.
It's because of assholes like you that they charge $75 to reset the SXT when a customer legitimately needs support due to a PCM exchange under warranty.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well fella's I know it is a little late to put my 2 cents worth in but here goes we are in a capitalist society, please let me explain mr mp4 we make money here so we can pay the bills sct gives you five or six unlocks I had no problem with them unlocking my 8 yr old sct x3 I told them my lightning was totaled and it was carted off without me being able to return to stock. well now I had to prove to them it was totaled via proof of loss statement from insurance company and they unlocked
shouldn't be much of a problem as I said I am way late but I bet your friend bought a tuner if he wanted it tuned of took it to a data logger or a dyno as they have to tuning software they paid for btw it cost around 5grand for software and then you still need to get a tuner so if you want to do anything else to it. and someone still has to pay for that tune as if it is unregistered vin it has to be registered.
kinda makes my blood boil when people get upset at capitalism in action. And when they don't get paid for doing something though they get pissy as hell
basically sct is not the dark side of the force just you purchase 5 or 6 unlocks for the price of the tuner if you want to change yours so your friend can tune his ride somebody has to pay because if one doesn't pay we all pay.

I have an adage if you are 20 yrs old and a conservative republican you are heartless,
but if you are 40 yrs old and a liberal democrat you are brainless.
well that is all I got. peace and im out

21 - 34 of 34 Posts