Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 04 GT (1st car with a standard trans.) and i want to know what signs to look for that tell me the clutch is going out. i have 61k on it (all stock) and idk how long these go without needing to be changed out. so can someone give a list of symptoms and signs so i know what to look out for and when to worry. thanks in advance.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
Well #1 -- Don't Ride the clutch. Take your foot fully off the clutch ( don't even rest it on there ) when driving and shifting. When taking off don't ride the **** out of it. Get used to it so you can come up in one motion kind of quickly. Same when you shift into other gears. This will ensure it lasts as long as it can.

You should know if it is going - You will feel the RPM's going up when you HAM on the throttle quicker than they should and you will not feel as much power going to the tires.

You can always throw it in 4 th or 5th at a lower speed and hit Wide Open Throttle and if it dosn't slip at all you should be good.

I wouldn't think that clutch would go for a long time but who knows.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Kinda like ALU said ... on the freeway 5th gear @ 50mph, ... clutch in, rev to like 4-5K, then drop the clutch. If the RPMs instantly drop hard ... then it's still holding well. If it slips, well then it's getting about that time.

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
Yes you will here the engine drop down to the rpm it is supposed to be at and it will grab hard. If not you will here the engine revving still a bit before it settles down to the right rpm.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
if the screeching was the tires then your clutch is good

·
Wiser by the Minute
1,498 Posts
Stay on the GAS. The whole idea is to see if it HOLDS The power and dosnt' slip bro. You need to understand how the clutch works I think. I am at work so I can't see the vid or hear it

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^i'm trying to learn my man. and i did it again and stayed on the gas...it made the same noise as before. it didn't grab hard, it made that screeching sound then just kept rolling. so if that is what you guys say the slipping is then i guess it's slipping. is this the best way to tell though? are there any other ways or signs?

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
Your clutch is good, just don't perform that test too many times or you WILL be needing a new clutch lol

These cars are fairly forgiving when it comes to manuals due to the good amount of low end torque we have. Welcome to the club :)

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
The simplest way is what jeep just said.

Go like 50mph and put it in 5th gear, put the gas pedal all the way down and see if the RPMs go up. If they go up quick, then its slipping, if not, the tach will slowly go up like it should.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^ man see, they way they were typing made it seem like i was supposed to be in 5th gear, hold the clutch in, rev to 4-5k, then drop the clutch, thats what i did. you're saying just goto 5th and punch it...i guess i'll try that after work. lol. thanks for the help you guys.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
you'll know. if you floor it in fourth or fifth...especially at a low rpm in either gear while going up an incline...the rpm's will go up but you won't be accelerating

1 - 16 of 16 Posts