Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, I received my WPT yesterday, so I have all the parts.
As read on the previous page, do I have to ground the green cable from the wheel when I connect the PAC to the purple wire? Or just connecting the purple wire is enough?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Does the new harness have a green? Sorry it's been a while and I'm just referring back to my notes so it's entirely possible I missed it again. The wheel's harness has more wires than the old one? Here's another picture:

·
Registered
9 Posts
And no green from the new harness to ground? :hidinghere:
Yes you need to wire the green from the Music controls portion of the harness to ground. I actually cut it about 3 quarters of an inch from the plug and then spliced in a new wire from that cut to my ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Installation completed this morning :)
Everything went smooth, no problem. But the programming is such a PITA... I have only the radio buttons functioning, not the phone ones yet :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Installation completed this morning :)
Everything went smooth, no problem. But the programming is such a PITA... I have only the radio buttons functioning, not the phone ones yet :(
Glad it went well for the most part. Are you using the Boss wheel? To my knowledge the Boss wheel is radio controls only.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed the GT 500 wheel, with leather and alcantara. I have radio and phone buttons on the right spoke.
Thanks for your DIY !

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
I installed the GT 500 wheel, with leather and alcantara. I have radio and phone buttons on the right spoke.
Thanks for your DIY !
Since everyone seems to continue to have issues finishing this install and getting all the buttons to work (especially with the new WPT plug) I'm sure many (including myself) would appreciate a thorough write-up. Especially if you have pics. Much like the first post, but with more detail about wiring and programming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The first post is pretty complete:

For the cruise controls:
New Harness -- Old Plug
Gray -- White
Brown -- Blue
Black -- Green (Ground)
Red -- Red (Power)

For radio controls:
- Green cable of the new harness to ground
- Purple cable of the new harness to first WPT and then connect the WPT to the plug at the bottom center of clock spring (pry white plastic)
- White cable from PAC adapter to second WPT and then connect the WPT to the plug at the left bottom of clock spring
- Red and black from PAC to ground and 12V

I don't have pics though, sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a write up, telling all about the WPT440-1242's, where to match the wires to the radio head from the steering wheel also. There are two PDF style writeups. One on the steering wheel audio controls and another showing the correct switches for use with whatever you are using. If you are interested, go over to The Mustang Source, under audio modifications. Several of the guys have downloaded the infomation so far, and it has only been up a week or so.

I put a 08 Sable navigation head into an 07 Mustang. I added the Boss (cr3z-ab) strg wheel, but had to switch out the right side switch. It came with a SW6714 (has ok on the lower left button) installed. I have a Ford navi head, so I needed to switch to the SW6716 (only has a phone symbol on the left lower button).

The SW6714 works only with the Shaker (or 6 disc) heads. The last switch available for the right is SW6913. It has no picture on the bottom left button. It is for basic audio controls only, no SYNC or Navigation.

I've managed to get all my steering wheel controls working correctly, using a factory navigation head. The write up shows where and how to put in the lower harness to the ACM so that all the controls will work. This wheel is quite the find for older S197's. Good luck.

·
Make Me Squirt
2,455 Posts
I have a write up, telling all about the WPT440-1242's, where to match the wires to the radio head from the steering wheel also. There are two PDF style writeups. One on the steering wheel audio controls and another showing the correct switches for use with whatever you are using. If you are interested, go over to The Mustang Source, under audio modifications. Several of the guys have downloaded the infomation so far, and it has only been up a week or so.

I put a 08 Sable navigation head into an 07 Mustang. I added the Boss (cr3z-ab) strg wheel, but had to switch out the right side switch. It came with a SW6714 (has ok on the lower left button) installed. I have a Ford navi head, so I needed to switch to the SW6716 (only has a phone symbol on the left lower button).

The SW6714 works only with the Shaker (or 6 disc) heads. The last switch available for the right is SW6913. It has no picture on the bottom left button. It is for basic audio controls only, no SYNC or Navigation.

I've managed to get all my steering wheel controls working correctly, using a factory navigation head. The write up shows where and how to put in the lower harness to the ACM so that all the controls will work. This wheel is quite the find for older S197's. Good luck.
Post a link to the PDF?

·
Registered
3 Posts
message to acharmedmatrix

Hello. I wanted to say thanks for an excellent tutorial! My only question is in reference to the old connector merged with the new connector section.

Does the connection of those harnesses supply power for illumination to both sides of the steering wheel? In other words, is the power for both the cruise control and audio control buttons illumination terminated when connecting the old harness plug side to the new harness on the new wheel? Will I use all of the wires from the new harness, or will there be wires that are not used?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Edit: nvm im dumb

41 - 60 of 84 Posts