Modded Mustang Forums banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ! First mod on my Mustang ! Can somebody help me ? I am doing the Shelby GT500 wheel in a 2007 Mustang GT Shelby BUT my old connector does not have the same colors as in the example. I have no white, no green and no red. Seems to me that red (power) is black and green (grouns) is black too. But white ? Thansk for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the necro bump but I seem to have issues with the cruise control. It lights up with the headlights so power is there but cruise doesn't work. All the wires are soldered to the proper wires.

I'm thinking it may be my ground loop. On the ground bolt I have 3 wires. I have the green wire eyelet from old connector, the green from the new harness, and there's a black wire with an eyelet from the new harness also. I didn't see this wire on the writeup. Should this be grounded?
I just did the swap and I'm having this same issue. Has anyone figured out a fix?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the necro bump but I seem to have issues with the cruise control. It lights up with the headlights so power is there but cruise doesn't work. All the wires are soldered to the proper wires.

I'm thinking it may be my ground loop. On the ground bolt I have 3 wires. I have the green wire eyelet from old connector, the green from the new harness, and there's a black wire with an eyelet from the new harness also. I didn't see this wire on the writeup. Should this be grounded?
I just did the swap and I'm having this same issue. Has anyone figured out a fix?
Bump. Anyone?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did the same swap with my 2006 gt. My wheel control lights up when the lights are on.

I seen to have all the issues with my install though. My media controls shows different resistance values for each media button but my PAC swi-rc doesn't detect the entry via purple wire from the wheel to the white wire of the PAC. My cruise control just doesn't work when I tested it on the highway going 60mph.

My wheel version doesn't have the SYNC button or the phone button.

Any advice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi wanted to let you known I'm going to give your guide a go, but I have some questions after reading it. Question 1) About the Pac do I set it for my 07 GT or do I set it for the 2014 GT500 Steering Wheel I'm installing, I'm guessing its the latter ? Question two from your pictures I only saw you show one place to plug in the WPT 440 at the bottom of the clock spring on the left side, is there another place for the other one on the right side if not where does the other 440 plug in ? Thats all I got for now I'm so thankful to have found your guide it is the most detailed and complete I have found yet and it has given me the courage to give this a shot. I'm mechanically capable having turned wrenches for over 20yrs but electronic isn't really my thing

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK here's the pics. Anyone see anything wrong?

1st pic is the 4 wires Ive soldered together from new harness to old connector.

2nd pic is the wires left over in the new harness along with the black wire eyelet that I am grounding on the small torx bolt.

3rd pic is everything, shows the green ground wire, with the green wire from from new harness soldered to it and I also put that black wire eyelet with it.

4th pic is the cruise control buttons with harness, just showing the wire colors that come out of it.
I know it has been forever but did you ever get your cruise to work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did the same swap with my 2006 gt. My wheel control lights up when the lights are on.

I seen to have all the issues with my install though. My media controls shows different resistance values for each media button but my PAC swi-rc doesn't detect the entry via purple wire from the wheel to the white wire of the PAC. My cruise control just doesn't work when I tested it on the highway going 60mph.

My wheel version doesn't have the SYNC button or the phone button.

Any advice?
Did you end up getting your cruise control to work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually found on another site, someone got the audio controls working with the Shaker 500 unit. He plugged in the J1-18/J1-19 pins on the back of the Shaker, but I am just not sure how.
I have the Shaker 500 in my car and when I installed the new head unit my subs still worked. As for the J1-18/J1-19 pins I have NO IDEA what that is ? Please explain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi well I finally got all my parts & pieces to try and do this, so I gave it a go yesterday and man it was horrible. While I was able to get the buttons to illuminate the radio buttons don't work. Not wure what I did wrong but I think par of the problem is that I'm using a newer PAC then the op did. Mine is a SWI-CP2 which has DIP switches on the side that you flip up or down depending on what radio and car your putting in. That programs it and give you basic functions. My biggest problem is not knowing where or what wire to hook to where. I known the red & black from the PAC needs to go to the radio red & black. but I also found that the yellow wire from tohe PAC must be connected for me to get it to power up so I hooked it in with the reds.

On the steering wheel side coming from the new harness I'm not sure where to hook the Blue, Yellow, wires I think the green goes to groundand maybe the back as well. I'm just not good with electronics any help anyone can give would be great.....Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Appreciate the incredible help from all of the earlier posts.

Completed the installation yesterday with a 2010 steering wheel on my 2007 GT and was able to get all of the audio and phone functions working (as well as the cruise controls). I used a PAC SWI-RC-1 controller and a Pioneer receiver. In the end, the install was pretty straightforward. I needed to use 2 of the wires through the WPT-1242/clockspring, one wire for audio and one for phone controls). In addition to grounding the green wire (for audio) I also need to ground the blue wire for the phone functions. I did not use any external resistors in the installation.

On the SWI-RC-1, I used the following connections:
SWI-RC-1 wire color /// Mustang wire

Black (all of the black wires) /// Black (ground)
Yellow /// Battery + (constant power)
Red /// Accessory Wire from Pioneer
White (Analog 1) /// Purple wire on steering wheel (via WPT-1242 and clock spring) - audio
White w/Black (Analog 2) /// Yellow wire on steering wheel (via WPT-1242 and clock spring) - phone

I needed help from PAC to troubleshoot the programming. Instead of using the dip switch settings for a 2010 Mustang, I needed to set all 8 switches to the "up" position. I then followed the PAC web site instructions for programming the SWI-RC-1, which worked perfectly.

Note to SurvivorGirl, I don't know exactly how the CP2 behaves, but it looks like the same wiring and programming might work for you too... hope it helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I wanted to add some info that could help others who, like me, are wanting to do this mod.

I wanted to use the WPT-440 plugs, but didn't want to pay almost $30 each. I did find another write up that uses some old computer USB plugs and was going to go that round, but I would have rather used the WPT-440 plugs. So I started to do some Googling and found that there are some vehicles that do use this plug for the audio buttons on the steering wheel. So if you have a you pull it style salvage yard near you, you get get 2 plugs for under $10. Here is the list of the vehicles I found:

- I have confirmed, by pulling the harness for my setup from the Montego, that harness has 2 WPT-440 plugs while the rest have one.
-other dates and vehicles in list were found using online auto parts website (not sure if I'm allowed to post the name) that has the words ROCK and AUTO in it's name :)
-the plugs on the website were part of the cruise control switch

2005-2007 Ford Five Hundred, Freestyle, and Mercury Montego
2005-2007 Ford Freestar and Mecury Monterey (only with 11 push buttons on the wheel) - may have 2 plugs?
2004-2013 Ford F150
2006-2008 Lincoln Mark LT
2002-2006 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer
2003-2006 Ford Expedition

·
Registered
1 Posts

Completed the installation yesterday with a 2010 steering wheel on my 2007 GT and was able to get all of the audio and phone functions working (as well as the cruise controls). I used a PAC SWI-RC-1 controller and a Pioneer receiver. In the end, the install was pretty straightforward. I needed to use 2 of the wires through the WPT-1242/clockspring, one wire for audio and one for phone controls). In addition to grounding the green wire (for audio) I also need to ground the blue wire for the phone functions. I did not use any external resistors in the installation.

White (Analog 1) /// Purple wire on steering wheel (via WPT-1242 and clock spring) - audio
White w/Black (Analog 2) /// Yellow wire on steering wheel (via WPT-1242 and clock spring) - phone

I needed help from PAC to troubleshoot the programming. Instead of using the dip switch settings for a 2010 Mustang, I needed to set all 8 switches to the "up" position. I then followed the PAC web site instructions for programming the SWI-RC-1, which worked perfectly.

Note to SurvivorGirl, I don't know exactly how the CP2 behaves, but it looks like the same wiring and programming might work for you too... hope it helps.
Bringing this post back from the dead lol I have an 07 GT and I recently picked up the steering wheel off a 2011. Your setup is very similiar to mine. I got two pairs of WPT-1242 kits, an PAC-SWI-RC, and in the near future I'm getting a Pioneer headunit. You didn't happen to take any photos while you were doing this install did you? I'm a visual learner, so that would help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts

thanks for writing all this. I have the exact same set up (steering wheel and pioneeer radio) and I want to do this soon but I’m having a hard time understanding where to connect the pac wires too I think I understand it for the most part but picture would be nice if possible or just trying to reexplain? Thank you so much regardless!

81 - 97 of 97 Posts