Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
?

You do not gain any HP or TQ by installing gears (3.73's, 4.10's, etc), but your car will launch quicker off the line. They are a great mod!

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
there is no horsepower gain from gears. You know on a bicycle how you change the gears on the rear and go to a larger sprocket and its easier to pull off but harder to reach a top speed? Thats what gears do its like going to a larger rear sprocket on a bike makes it easier to launch from the line. No power gained or lossed.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
yea you dont gain hp at all

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
It effectively multiplies torque. It has no effect on engine power output though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah understood. Thanks for the clarification, I'm still relatively new to all of this.

I priced the gears at $179 for the Ford racing one's but a mechanic said he couldn't give me a price on the installation at this time...pretty fishy.

What should I expect to pay for installation so I know what to look out for in terms of outlandish $$

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
$275-$350 for install.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeh you don't gain hp from gears.... -_-

·
5,502 Posts
I spent $500 on gears and install altogether.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I can afford this no issue, but I don't want to get so deep in this car that when I sell it I lose money.
You might want to reconsider doing anything to your car then. You'll never get back what you put into it.

·
5,502 Posts
If you do one thing to this car, this should be that one thing. You'll appreciate the car 4.10 times more.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
WOW. I can afford this no issue, but I don't want to get so deep in this car that when I sell it I lose money. That's basically $500 right there with everything.

Damn I guess i'll pass on these.
They will be the best bang for you buck, in noticeable cheap gains, if you dont want to do gears cause there "expensive", i wouldn't mod your car at all.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
You might want to reconsider doing anything to your car then. You'll never get back what you put into it.
agree and its really not bad wheels and tires are way more expensive then gears

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
zero HP gain

but car will be faster

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have added wheels and tires for $1300. I'm in the car for $9300 between other little things I did.

I guess this will be the end of the mods then for me. When I get my 06 vette I'm going to make damn sure it has EVERYTHING i'm looking for.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
install prices vary from place to place. At out shop, and install is 150 if the rear end is still in the car or 100 if the rear is out of the car. its amazing at how much people get for installs :confused:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I paid $150 to have mine put in. OP, it's not just gonna be the gears and install price, you also have to figure out how to recalibrate the speedo. Most people do it with a tuner (their is another $350-$400) or with a gear driven cable type of thing that I think is roughly another $100.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts