2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I orderd in.
meguiars m105, and m205
PB black hole glaze
wolf gang deep gloss paint sealent
PB battys blue paste
megs claybar

I'm going to go pick up pads, towels locally and use the polisher from work.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I orderd in.
meguiars m105, and m205
PB black hole glaze
PB battys blue paste
megs claybar

What type of polisher is it a rotary or a DA. If its a rotary you might end up inputting holograms or worse burn the finish since your not experienced in usinge one. Also what pads and what towels are you getting.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Would a random orbital work? We have a 10inch one here at home.. I am not sure yet on what color pads. I was gonna pick up 1 of each or whatever.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Eat a booger
the guy at autozone laughed at me when i asked if they had wheel wax.... i didnt see it on the shelf so i asked, and appearently they dont carry it...? bastard. i wanted to choke that fat bastard :mad

so do i have to order wheel wax from their website??

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
And? Your Point?
Im just testing ya big boy ;)

the guy at autozone laughed at me when i asked if they had wheel wax.... i didnt see it on the shelf so i asked, and appearently they dont carry it...? bastard. i wanted to choke that fat bastard :mad

so do i have to order wheel wax from their website??
Go to autogeek.net or go to chemicalguys.com and just type in wheel wax

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,737 Posts
I orderd in.
meguiars m105, and m205
PB black hole glaze
PB battys blue paste
megs claybar

Looks ok on the list for starting. However, you need Microfiber Cleaner, Some form of cleaner for the pads (XMT combo), a good wash mitt, waffle weve drying towels, and some foam applicators. You also need to start using the two bucket method if you want to keep swirls off.

I have never used the Wolfgang Sealant, but I can tell you theres much better out there. Should of went with the Blackfire Wet Diamond or CG Jetseal. Both are pricey but with this hobby, you get what you pay for.

Where are you getting microfiber localy? MOST Microfiber is bad unless you order it from am online source. Do NOT NOT NOT buy MF from a parts store or walmart... no matter how much you polish you will still scratch it up with bad MF.

Would a random orbital work? We have a 10inch one here at home.. I am not sure yet on what color pads. I was gonna pick up 1 of each or whatever.
Yes, you want a random orbital.... BUT a 10in knock off will not work. If you REALLY want to do this right, but a good DA/Random Oribital polisher from autogeek or detailed image.

For the basic pad selection...

1 yellow
2 orange
2 white
2 gray

One of each will never work for a correction job. The blue/red pads are rarely used unless you care to wax by machine.

I personally use 5" pads, so you would need a 5.5" backing plate. I have not used the larger 6" pads yet.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/general-car-care-detailing/148527-machine-polishing-pads-what-each-does.html

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I still need to pick up a 5.5" yellow pad or a purple wool pad so i can hit the roof the hood and the decklid at like speed 5 or 6. Have you seen the Tech pads the tange orange and the aqua blue I read that they are really good. Have you tried them out zat? Also what the hell does everyone do with the white PC pad that comes with the PC7424XP never use it?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,737 Posts
I still need to pick up a 5.5" yellow pad or a purple wool pad so i can hit the roof the hood and the decklid at like speed 5 or 6. Have you seen the Tech pads the tange orange and the aqua blue I read that they are really good. Have you tried them out zat? Also what the hell does everyone do with the white PC pad that comes with the PC7424XP never use it?
Get you a yellow pad for the roof and trunk. If you need something tougher go with the Surbuf pads. The wool is for a rotary it seems. I have not used thoese pads, no.

Personally I don't know what to your that white pad for either. I would assume maybe a MF Bonnet would fit over it?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
even the small 5.5" synthetic wool pads what hook up to the PC with the hd backing plate?

Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool Pad - 5.5 inch | Detailed Image

As for the surbuf pads who carries them, DI or autogeek doesnt seem to carry them at least I could find them under the pads sections. And ill be getting a yellow 5.5" ccs as soon as I can find my damn credit card on my desk. Have you also tried using the pad brush to keep the pads clean so the polish doesnt cake up on it.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,737 Posts
the random orbital I have says it goes 3200 orbits a minute is that good enough for the compounds?
No, the Porter Cable goes up to 6000 and I never compound or polish on anything lower. When glazing and waxing I go lower (3-4k).

The Porter Cable is the industry standard polisher. Check out Autogeek and look around on the polishers. You will need the polisher, a backing plate, and all the pads I mentioned.

Danny: Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads 2 Pack, surbuf pads, microfingers pads, polishing pads

and this is copied from Detailed Image's website on the foamed wool pad: This pad is ideally used with a Flex or rotary buffer for best results

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
No, the Porter Cable goes up to 6000 and I never compound or polish on anything lower. When glazing and waxing I go lower (3-4k).

The Porter Cable is the industry standard polisher. Check out Autogeek and look around on the polishers. You will need the polisher, a backing plate, and all the pads I mentioned.

Danny: Surbuf R Series 5.5 Inch Buffing Pads 2 Pack, surbuf pads, microfingers pads, polishing pads

and this is copied from Detailed Image's website on the foamed wool pad: This pad is ideally used with a Flex or rotary buffer for best results
thanks man for the clarification and the link how much better are those from the orange and the yellow :)

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
All this is Greek to me... Someone needs to come to my place with the correct products in hand and show me how to use them.. Haha

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,737 Posts
thanks man for the clarification and the link how much better are those from the orange and the yellow :)
I personally have not used them. I have heard good and bad reviews. I will probally use one eventually. I kinda want to start toying with the idea of moving up to a rotary... however I may need a few more details under my belt. Im just a perfectionist and I want to get the PERFECT finish.

All this is Greek to me... Someone needs to come to my place with the correct products in hand and show me how to use them.. Haha
reading and tutorial videos are your friend... how I learned. And with the help of people like Zinc.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts