Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did everything as said, i took the gridles off and i held the gear with two c-clamps. The old cam slid right out, but the issue im having is trying to put the new one in. It will only go in so far and sit and its like the cam gear is keeping it from going in, Im having a big issue getting it to line up so that i can put the gear on the cam. :mad: :eek:

am i supposed to bolt the cam down to make it force itself into the slots and then put the gear on, and then the followers ? please i need help asap this was supposed to be easy >_< :(

·
Registered
387 Posts
There were spacers and I had to buy specific length bolts to install PI cams. I would not say the swap is simple, but many detail steps to follow.

When your sprocket goes as far as it will on your cam is the chain (going down the front cover) aligned?

Can you post pics of what you got?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were spacers and I had to buy specific length bolts to install PI cams. I would not say the swap is simple, but many detail steps to follow.

When your sprocket goes as far as it will on your cam is the chain (going down the front cover) aligned?

Can you post pics of what you got?
I have the bolts and spacers but it just will not line up with the gear because the gear is stopping the cam from resting in the head fully. its weird. I will go takes pics.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
387 Posts
I see your misalignment. Do you think your chains moved down in the cover? It could be the tensioner pushed the chain guide, pulling down the timing sprocket. Or the chain is no longer lined up on the crank sprocket, if this is the case you may need to pull the front cover. I am not 100% sure, but that is what it looks like tome.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its possible that it did which is what i fear , seems hard to take everything down from what i have heard.The bottom of the cam gear keeps facing the cam and the cam is stopping on it instead of going all the way down in the head..i can see the chain move left and rigth some when i move the gear but i cant tell if it really slipped or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i bet the chain has moved down in the cover and maybe has jumped a tooth on the crank sprocket

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to tell, so since i have this one side without followers on , when i drop the front cover how do i get ti all back in time, is their a good write up on it somewhere so i can see.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you do take the front cover off, here is a good write up on setting the timing.

Timing the 4.6L SOHC Engine

I was in your shoes a few months back, after all I am glad I removed my front cover, well glad I did not mess anything up. I replaced my leaky front seal, so less oil seepage while in there. The whole job can be done without help, but if you can get an extra pair of eyes and assistance holding the chains - do that. I almost forgot to put on my trigger wheel back on the crank - which would have SUCKED, so keep all your parts in order. But taking it all step by step, my car start up on the first crank - like it does every morning and yours will to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts