Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I have a Hurst Short Throw Shifter, i took a road trip this past weekend to St. Louis and i had to listen to this vibration noise from the shifter all the way there and back. Its not too bad but just wondering if you know how to get rid of it.

I believe its coming from where the handle bolts up to the shifter, the two allen head bolts. I removed the rubber piece in between the two parts, it did not look like it was doing anything. I then proceeded to put black electrical tape around the shifter. I was hoping that would help with it messing together and elimate most of the noise.

Does anyone else have this issue?

The only other thing that i have had issues with is that the shop that installed it did not put any lock tight on the bolts so the bolts came loose on the shifter, i got red lock tight on them now.

Please help with this noise, i have thought about replacing with a 5.0 shifter but i love the look of the Hurst.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
My 1st Hurst shifter rattled after 2000 miles on it. It would rattle when the car was under load, it turned out to be a BAD shifter. I have had my 2nd shifter for about 2 years now and it rattled again and it turned out to be those same bolts that you are talking about...
It may be a defective shifter if it isn't those bolts you are talking about.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
My hurst has a little rattle noise too, I think its the bolt shaking, but im not sure exactly. It doesn't bother me much, but its noticeable under heavy throttle.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
I got mine from the local Ford dealership they exchanged it for me..

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Hey Guys

I have a Hurst Short Throw Shifter, i took a road trip this past weekend to St. Louis and i had to listen to this vibration noise from the shifter all the way there and back. Its not too bad but just wondering if you know how to get rid of it.

I believe its coming from where the handle bolts up to the shifter, the two allen head bolts. I removed the rubber piece in between the two parts, it did not look like it was doing anything. I then proceeded to put black electrical tape around the shifter. I was hoping that would help with it messing together and elimate most of the noise.

Does anyone else have this issue?

The only other thing that i have had issues with is that the shop that installed it did not put any lock tight on the bolts so the bolts came loose on the shifter, i got red lock tight on them now.

Please help with this noise, i have thought about replacing with a 5.0 shifter but i love the look of the Hurst.

I have the same issue, its rather common, actualy at one point it sounded like just about everyone had the same thing(few years ago). Ive done a ton of research on this using google, and the thing that sounds like the fix is using some white lithium grease on the actual ball under the boot.. It does sound like it comes from the shaft of the shifter, and Ive tried a few things with that with no luck. But if you do some searching you will find that most people have been able to fix it with the grease, I dont' think its a long term fix, but it sounds like it works.. Ill be trying it in a few weeks, and Ill update you.

good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Never had a problem with mine noise wise, of course cant really hear NHV over the sound of the cams. I have seen a couple people Line the shifter area with Dynamat, however I would make sure that it is just NVH and not mechanical defect before doing that, or get a louder exhaust :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is it still a problem with the Hurst Shifters made now?. I want to order one Thursday at American Muscle. I am still sure it is better than stock.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
I had the same issue and here is how I solved it. 1st I ordered gaskets from here http://stangshiftergaskets.com/ and used loctite on the bolts when installing the gaskets. 2nd I wraped a bit of plumbers tape that you can get from any hardware store around the threads that go in to the shifter ball. You can't see it after the ball is on. Cost less than 10 bucks and has been silent since.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Mine has made noise from day 1, if it didn't look so damned good it would be out of there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts