Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hitting a minor puddle and sliding across both highway lanes sideways, it's time for the nitto dr's to go. There still at 60 percent life or so, but have gotten much worse in rain driving lately. Can someone reccomend a decent, cheaper tire to replace? The 555 streets are staying on the front, but nitto only goes up to a 285 for rears. I need either 305 or 315 replacements, on 18 inch rims with a 35 percent profile. Hard to find tires in this size. Btw, no dragstrip use, just street driving. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
656 Posts
goin to a wider tire wont help youre problem very much..its mainly the pattern on the dr's cant really tell ya a better tire.. i just buy the cheepest ones i can find on ebay lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going for a wider tire. The nittos were 305'S and I'd like to keep the size there. I just meant nitto doesn't go bigger than 285 on their street tires, for 18 inch rims

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I honestly think you should replace the DR's with the regular 555's, that is what I am going to do as soon as my tread wears out. but you are right, I avoid driving in the rain at all costs.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Not sure on cost, but Goodyear Eagle F1 tires were the best tire I've ever had in the rain. They left me with nothing but confidence in the rain.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Just be more careful and slow down in the rain. If you want a really good daily driving tire though, check out Pirelli PZero Nero all seasons. I didn't check for anything bigger than a 285, but I imagine they have a pretty big variety of sizes. Their 285/35/18's are only in the $240 price range. Not too much of a jump over cheap Sumitomos considering it's a Pirelli.

The Eagle F1 seems like a good tire too. Speaking of rain driving, I don't hydroplane with my Sumis, but I've been having some major visability issues. Thinking about wasting the cash on HID kits for both the headlights and fogs, and trying out some of the Rain X glass treatment. My headlights are incredibly dim for some reason. May as well go to HIDs to make rain and night driving easier since I have to replace them soon anyway.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I drive my 285 nittos in the rain and they work flawlessly. I've had them on for coming up on three years with about 40k miles on them and I have not once had to put air in them. I'll probably have to replace the rim (that's rusting WTF American Muscle?) before the tire is ready to go.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
goin to a wider tire wont help youre problem very much..its mainly the pattern on the dr's cant really tell ya a better tire.. i just buy the cheepest ones i can find on ebay lol
Not only will wider tires not help in the rain, they will actually make hydroplaning worse.

I'd say go with 285 555s.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After having the 305's on, I really don't want to drop down to a 285, which will look skinny on the ten inch wide rim. The drag radials were decent in the rain new, but now that their wearing it's getting sketchy. I'll look into the eagle f1 tires. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
After hitting a minor puddle and sliding across both highway lanes sideways, it's time for the nitto dr's to go. There still at 60 percent life or so, but have gotten much worse in rain driving lately. Can someone reccomend a decent, cheaper tire to replace? The 555 streets are staying on the front, but nitto only goes up to a 285 for rears. I need either 305 or 315 replacements, on 18 inch rims with a 35 percent profile. Hard to find tires in this size. Btw, no dragstrip use, just street driving. Thanks in advance for any input.
I'd go with the Nitto NT05's they come in a 295. thats what i have and i absolutly love them! its unbelviable how well they handle in the rain! i don't have to drive any different when it is pooring down outside than i do when it is dry. it is because of the water channles that go down the middle of the tires (see pic). and i can not spin 2nd gear at all when goin WOT. just a nice lil chirp. although my car is mostly stock. just full exhaust including Long Tube Headers and cold air intake. (Not for long tho:shiftyeyes)

left tire

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Looks like I'm getting new tires too, may also be going to jail.

A kid who has a personal problem with me, who is also a tad on the jealous side due to him driving a total P.O.S. 90's Cavalier, stabbed my rears. Roadside assistance covers tires, so it'll be nice if I get them for free. If not, I know where the kid hangs out, no words will be exchanged, and he will have a shattered windshield at a minimum.

Insurance company would probably total it with just a shattered windshield. Repairs would be more than the value of the car. :lol Oh well. I was going to order new Sumis in a few weeks anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts