Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh the multitude of questions.. There are many differences between the v6/8 and I dont know them!

How often do the cops need replacing? Will I ever need to replace the wires going into them?

Is the stock exhaust pipe 2 1/4"? I was planning on getting an H pipe, but the aftermarket ones are 2.5" would I use reducers? or should I wait to get the whole piping system replaced with 2.5"?

How much actual gains from a tuner would I see?

The recommended power upgrade from AM is a Throttle body... in my experiences that is a pretty useless first upgrade, is that true still?

That should do for now thanks in advance.

Picture taken in the dark for southfour! :p

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Oh the multitude of questions.. There are many differences between the v6/8 and I dont know them!

How often do the cops need replacing? Will I ever need to replace the wires going into them?

As often as they go out

Is the stock exhaust pipe 2 1/4"? I was planning on getting an H pipe, but the aftermarket ones are 2.5" would I use reducers? or should I wait to get the whole piping system replaced with 2.5"?

I think its all 2.5", but someone else should probably confirm that

Not as much as the vendors say, but it has a ton of other uses as well as changing the tune

The recommended power upgrade from AM is a Throttle body... in my experiences that is a pretty useless first upgrade, is that true still?

Not sure on this one either, I never did it on my GT because everyone seemed to think it was pointless without a power adder

Answers in red above

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,179 Posts

Don't, unless they go bad. Use motorcraft ones if they do go bad.

Pretty sure it's 2.5

Depends alot on other mods. It doesn't add a ton if it's your only mod.

Most ppl on here will tell you to get gears, full length subframe connectors, and LT's/OR/X for the most bang for your buck without going F/I.
Welcome to the 8 cylinder world!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The piping is supposed to be all 2.5, but it's not. You'll find that on some bends, it gets down to 2.25 and after the muffler, it gets down to 2 1/8" in certain spots.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the 8 cylinder world!
Thank you!

The piping is supposed to be all 2.5, but it's not. You'll find that on some bends, it gets down to 2.25 and after the muffler, it gets down to 2 1/8" in certain spots.
I see.. so adding a 2.5" H pipe shouldnt be an issue, but the entire system could use new piping!

Thanks!

I think the first things im going to do to it are: Mach 1 grill/chin, Ive got the honey comb deck lid, gonna go with tinted tails and paint my rear valance black and throw some lowering springs on it with an H or X pipe and a tuner!

Merry christmas too meeee!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think a lot of people will agree with this, skip bolt ons, and either go cammed or forced induction on 2vs, most will say forced induction

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
I think a lot of people will agree with this, skip bolt ons, and either go cammed or forced induction on 2vs, most will say forced induction
+1

Gears, cams, FI or spray.

Worry about bolt-ons when you have one of the above four or all of the above.

·
11.5:1 or GTFO
12,899 Posts
First mods:
Catback
O/R X
4.10's
FLSFC's
Tune

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have suspension upgrades, bolt ons, cams, gears, better tires, independent rear. Wanna know what mods I like the most? The suspension and tires, why? Cause power is useless if you can't use it

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

Never, if they are not allowed to overheat. Most often this is caused by bad boots that allow the full charge of the COP to be dumped through the boot into the plug well (the boots should be changed every 100k miles), or very worn plugs that require a lot of voltage to ionise the gap, and/or moisture or other crap in the plug well.

Yes, however all H- and X-pipes will bolt right up on the passenger side and come with an insert for the driver's side. The ball and socket joints at the H- or X- outlet will generally mate up with the stock catback with no issues.

The stock tune has very conservative ignition timing and runs quite rich at WOT, often dropping into the low 11:1 and even high 10:1 AFRs. Because of this any New-Edge GT will benefit from a good tune, even if you stick with 87 octane swill fuel. I have never had an owner come back from their first run with anything but a "it-eating" grin.

No, the stock upper plenum is the weak point--here are Accufab's flow bench numbers for various TB and plenum combos, note that any aftermarket plenum with the stock 65 mm TB outflows any size TB on the stock plenum.

Reactions: Nito2v

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
no pics?:bash:

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The stock tune has very conservative ignition timing and runs quite rich at WOT, often dropping into the low 11:1 and even high 10:1 AFRs. Because of this any New-Edge GT will benefit from a good tune, even if you stick with 87 octane swill fuel. I have never had an owner come back from their first run with anything but a "it-eating" grin.
Who would you suggest I go through for the lifetime tune deal? Ive heard bad things about bama.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
nice, love those side skirts

its a 99 35th right?

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Full length sub frame connectors

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
nice, thanks :)

The differences between H and X still the same for V8's? Lookin at bbk x or jlt H.

·
MM Official Sammich Maker
6,732 Posts
I have a handheld diablo pred tuner and bbk udp's sitting here.
If you are interested.

·
11.5:1 or GTFO
12,899 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend the UPR O/R X. I wouldn't buy anything BBK. They are leaky. My UPR has great fitment, and sounds awesome.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend the UPR O/R X. I wouldn't buy anything BBK. They are leaky. My UPR has great fitment, and sounds awesome.
I will reccomemd them lol, I have bbk x pipe, throttle body, and headers, fits good, sounds good paired to my magnaepacks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts