Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my torque wrench is f*cked. I was torquing my cmdp and the mani back on. And one of the bolts, the first one snapped off in the block. Should I get a little shorter one and just barely put it in there? I know I can't leave it blank, or off. I figure under the boost of the turbo I'd get a leak. What should I do??? HELP!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Get an "easy out" set from the tool store ... what kind of torque do you think is on them right now?

Find someone who has used one if you can ... if not, read the directions REALLY CLOSE and if the busted bolt isn't in too tight it should come out ...

Don't skimp on a cheap easy out set ... get a good one.

Post a pic if you can

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
If that doesn't work you could always drill it out and retap the hole, or use a helicoil.

·
Registered
315 Posts
What kind of torque wrench are you using inch per pound? Or foot pounds? If I am not mistaken you need a inch per pound and it's 89 inch per pound for the torque spec on the intake Manifold. I just went to autozone and rented a inch per pound torque wrench.

And just get an easy out. Or if it's that bad then drill it and retap it like said above.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
****ing great. The hole where the turbo bracket mounts is ****ing stripped... Goddamnit!!!
Never buying anything used ever again... This is bullshit!
*sorry for the language just really pissed, calling it a night*

·
Registered
222 Posts
****ing great. The hole where the turbo bracket mounts is ****ing stripped... Goddamnit!!!
Never buying anything used ever again... This is bullshit!
*sorry for the language just really pissed, calling it a night*
That sucks man, good luck with the fix... Is there enough metal to tap your own hole and go that route?

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope. I just got a good nights rest. I am calm once again. It's another day, I'll start after breakfast. I know some of you want pictures, but I really can't bring myself to take pics when I am working. When everything is done, I will take a bunch.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Sometimes you can take a punch and sharpen it to a point and with a small hammer lightly tap near the edge of the broken bolt in a counterclockwise rotation and walk the broken bolt out. An automatic centerpunch is good for this also, otherwise your going to have to do some drilling and use an extractor/easy out. It sounds like your stripped out hole needs retapped or helicoil.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Sometimes you can take a punch and sharpen it to a point and with a small hammer lightly tap near the edge of the broken bolt in a counterclockwise rotation and walk the broken bolt out. An automatic centerpunch is good for this also, otherwise your going to have to do some drilling and use an extractor/easy out. It sounds like your stripped out hole needs retapped or helicoil.
I concur.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you know what grade the bolt is? If it is grade 3 or 5 its easy to remove, if it is a grade 8 .... not so easy.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No idea... I'm gonna take a look at it today. And I gotta re-tap the previously stripped turbo bolt. ****er...

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Do you know what grade the bolt is? If it is grade 3 or 5 its easy to remove, if it is a grade 8 .... not so easy.
It's definitely not a grade 8 bolt. I would imagine grade 3 or 5. The intake manifold is not going to be stressing those bolts that much at all. Even with a turbo application it's got little to no stress.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Nasty is right. Oh and if it was a grade 8 it wouldn't have broken being an intake bolt.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Reverse drill bit ftw! Best bol t extractor ever.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah if the bolt isn't bottomed out it should be no problem, nothing creating torque.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
one of my intake bolts snaped off as well when i put my s/c on and i was useing a inch pound torque wrench that was calibrated about a week befor but it wasn't bottemed out and i got it with a easy out.:)

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
one of my intake bolts snaped off as well when i put my s/c on and i was useing a inch pound torque wrench that was calibrated about a week befor but it wasn't bottemed out and i got it with a easy out.:)
I gotta try that. I still haven't looked at it. I hope it comes out as easy as you guys say. *Did yours just keep going, and going, and going.....? Then finally SNAP!!!!*

1 - 20 of 20 Posts