Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow, so I'm about 99.9% sure I broke my camshaft!

The back two lifters/rocker arms/valve springs/push rods on BOTH sides DO NOT move at all when I turn over the motor!

So, I can almost gaurente that I broke the crappy stock cam!

I will be putting in my Sig Erson cam with some anti-pump lifters this weekend, pending that I didn't break anything else!

Is there anything else that would cause the back two lifters/rocker arms/valve springs/rush rods not to move?

Thanks
-Aaron

·
Registered
707 Posts
re

that totally depends on the damage and really, LUCK if you broke the disco stick, well alot of things could have happened, but if your lucky the valves could have went back into place causing no valve piston problem whatsoever, or the piston could have come up hitting the valve spinning the broken cam and still caused no real damage, or maybe it did cause some damage, your going to have to pull it down totally to get the metal shavings from the break out of the motor, somthing caused the cam to break they dont just up and decide to break, thats the biggie, why did the cam break in the first place?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Don't mind Mustank. Long ago. His clan was wiped out by camshafts with big duration. Like a pheonix, he rose up swearing vengence.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that totally depends on the damage and really, LUCK if you broke the disco stick, well alot of things could have happened, but if your lucky the valves could have went back into place causing no valve piston problem whatsoever, or the piston could have come up hitting the valve spinning the broken cam and still caused no real damage, or maybe it did cause some damage, your going to have to pull it down totally to get the metal shavings from the break out of the motor, somthing caused the cam to break they dont just up and decide to break, thats the biggie, why did the cam break in the first place?
The Valves are fine, the springs musta just pulled em shut cause there is no damage to the valves or piston (that i have found yet)Knock on wood.

We will get deeper into it this weekend when its not 16 degrees outside. I'll take some pic's and post em up for ya!

Are the back pushrods bent?
Nope the push rods are fine!

Don't mind Mustank. Long ago. His clan was wiped out by camshafts with big duration. Like a pheonix, he rose up swearing vengence.
what happend?

Hmmm....What firing order is that cam???????
This cam will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The Power Of Christ Compills You!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The Christmas season makes him sad and lonely and oh so bitter.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Other posssibilities

collapsed lifters, lobes gone off the cam...that is about all I can think of.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
that sounds like its going to be fun to fish out of the block if it is broke. my friends broken a few cams in his 2.3l mustang race car. but those are easy to get to.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, were going to run a high intensity magnet threw the oil. Then change it and run the magnet threw it after a hour. Then change it again.

I dont think a rebuild is nesscary.

·
Awesome Sauce
146 Posts
I have broke a cam in a sbc 350 and one in a 3.8 buick. The buick just snapped the snout off of it, the one off the 350 broke in about 4 pieces destroying the engine along with the cam.
It sucks no matter.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah this just broke in to 2 peices. Its gonna be a pain to change but it should be fine.

Hopefully.

if not 351 here I come!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts