Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot convince myself to get a new MMR 4.75L 7500 rpm motor and a new 26 spline transmission. I've been saving for this for about four years. The money is in the bank. But my car is a daily driver. I already have no traction in first and little in second (even with DRs). I only go to the track for fun. I ran a 12.7. That beat my old 426 Dodge.

I almost pulled the trigger last month. Clutch went bad, intake manifold broke, COPs went bad. But all of that stuff will be transferred to the new motor. Now that everything is fixed except the intermittent miss, I cannot convince myself to replace a perfectly good motor. It burns no oil and it has been superchargered for 90,000 miles.

I want one but I don't think it fits my daily driver needs. Maybe in a couple of years. What do you think?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Do it! You can always have it on stand by for when and if your stock motor goes.

Or just hit 100k miles blown on your stock motor and replace it lol.

That's the same motor I'm thinking about getting, at least the rotating assembly.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You should do it! You have been saving for 4 years so obviously you want to do it!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to. But I also want to see how long the stock motor will last. Last week when I was trying to troubleshoot the miss I hit 6000 rpms about as often every hour as the track. Bounced off the rev limiter a dozen times. The SES light started blinking at me (I have no idea what that means) but then it went away.

If I pull the trigger I'm going to buy JKoldFleisch's motor. 10:1 compression ratio with Trick Flow 38 cc heads. With a P1SC it made 518 rwhp. But that means new injectors, new fuel pumps, etc. And the stock computer won't go 7500 anyway.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
If the SES flashes, it's a misfire.

Look at pending codes with your scanner, and it should say.

And FYI, I think you mean 750rwhp not 7500rpm. It'll spin til that rpm, but chances are you'll lose power by then and ecu may not keep up

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Then buy it and let it sit! Up the boost on the stock motor and run it until it blows!

·
Faster than my X
410 Posts
That's the shortblock I'm going with plus I'm going 4v.my stock motor burns a bit of oil and has 154k the previous owner was running a bottle on it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i say buy it and keep it on the side until your current motor goes, you've been saving for it go for it

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
You only live once, just do it. let someone else see how long a stock block will last and get on with the dream you have been saving for many years.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
**** 4.75. Get a 5.1 ;) theres one for sale on SVTP.

If you have been saving for four years, you know its in the back of your mind. Just go ahead and buy it.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You only live once, just do it. let someone else see how long a stock block will last and get on with the dream you have been saving for many years.
Yes, and the money is dedicated to a new motor and transmission. This is perhaps my last go around. My family is OK into the forseeable future. But I worry about things that you young kids don't.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Yes, and the money is dedicated to a new motor and transmission. This is perhaps my last go around. My family is OK into the forseeable future. But I worry about things that you young kids don't.
True only go around once, before I was able to let go of cash for my mustang I did like you and made sure Everything at home was squared away then I made a few thinkgs happen for myslef. HAHA young kids ive been in more countries then most people have been in states.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Go ahead and do it man. Do something nice for yourself. You've been saving for a long time to get them:)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Solution!
I have a Green 2000 gt (blown motor) Buy it and have twins!! It looks just like the one in your avatar!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pate, you understand. I'm a lot older than you. Retired Air Force. Vietnam to first Iraq war. Family came first. I gave up my '69 Camaro for a van to haul kids in. It was a good trade. It was what I needed at the time. It made it fun to go across country together. When my youngest turned 24 I bought the Mustang. I really love this car.

By the way, Thank you for your service.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Solution!
I have a Green 2000 gt (blown motor) Buy it and have twins!! It looks just like the one in your avatar!
Any rust. How much do you want for a 'roller',

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Pate, you understand. I'm a lot older than you. Retired Air Force. Vietnam to first Iraq war. Family came first. I gave up my '69 Camaro for a van to haul kids in. It was a good trade. It was what I needed at the time. It made it fun to go across country together. When my youngest turned 24 I bought the Mustang. I really love this car.

By the way, Thank you for your service.
It's easy for all of us to spend YOUR money, 99% of us will tell you we would get the engine, but it comes down to what you want, if you're really seriously questioning your decision, maybe you should do a little more thinking and deciding before you act.

If you have the money saved it makes it easier, there really isn't any rush. just my opinion

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's easy for all of us to spend YOUR money, 99% of us will tell you we would get the engine, but it comes down to what you want, if you're really seriously questioning your decision, maybe you should do a little more thinking and deciding before you act.

If you have the money saved it makes it easier, there really isn't any rush. just my opinion

You are absolutely correct. This is me thinking... with others input.

I live in the boonies. I'm miles away from another motor head. This forum is where I bounce ideas off of. Please continue to contribute. I listen to all ideas.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts