Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
why would this be mounted on the inside, right in front of the shifter? i mean, i know what it is, just wondering why it would be mounted in the interior.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
who has it mounted there?
the guy who has the car i'm gonna buy. judging by the rest of the interior, (the bezel around the shifter is a big aluminum flame that goes towards the back of the car, just to give an idea) it was mounted there for some kind of asthetic purpose. i don't see any value in being able to see it. but hey, why do people get gold grills and then smile all day long....? so you know they got 'em. maybe that's it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
when some people hook up their ignition and have the tuner and datalogging with the laptop sitting in car and all that stuff i have seen them mount the ignition box inside the car with the rest of that stuff but usually kinda under the dash.....thats the only thing i could think of

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when some people hook up their ignition and have the tuner and datalogging with the laptop sitting in car and all that stuff i have seen them mount the ignition box inside the car with the rest of that stuff but usually kinda under the dash.....thats the only thing i could think of
that makes more sense than my original thoughts.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
why would this be mounted on the inside, right in front of the shifter? i mean, i know what it is, just wondering why it would be mounted in the interior.
i mount my MSD boxes inside the car to keep it from being exposed to heat.

computer+heat=bad

·
Registered
333 Posts
i mount my MSD boxes inside the car to keep it from being exposed to heat.

computer+heat=bad
:withhomo
However, I did put my 6AL under the hood--of my Bronco, there's a little more room under there to keep it away from the heat! When I mount one in the Mustang it's going between the fender and the inner fender to keep it away from heat--along with some protection from road debris.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
They do last longer inside the car for sure. however, do you ever wonder what the voltage drop is on the 8 feet of wire from the box to the coil, or for that matter from the battery to the ignition? IMO, you want the ignition box as close to the battery as possible with a very short and solid ground with the coil less than 2 feet from the box and the coil less than 2 feet from the distributor. this will result in the best ignition system.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Heat. That is why people mount it on the inside. Heat is the number one killer of MSD boxes. 99% of the people that mount their MSD box under the hood that have a failure blame MSD and call them a bunch of names on the internet.

Ryan, as far as the voltage drop goes it is minimal that is if you even see a drop. I've experimented with this in the past and have never had a noticable voltage drop between the box and the coil. I don't run 8 feet of wire either. The most I've run was 5 feet and that was a bit excessive because this particular car had some obstructions that most Mustangs do not have. I've mounted MSD boxes in the trunk/hatch but I couldn't find any voltage information in any of my notes so I'm going to assume I didn't check on those cars.

I've always mounted my MSD boxes in the interior or in the trunk/hatch and I've never had a failure short of a couple defective Digital 6 boxes that didn't work from the word go. I've never had any ignition related problems either. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Just keep in mind that heat does drastically shorten the life of MSD ignition boxes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
+ 1 on the heat, and I always relocate my batteries to the trunk/hatch anyways. On correct gauge wiring there would be no substantial voltage drop, even if it was 20 feet from the batt. to the MSD box.

I have seen alot of people mount their ignition box inside by the shifter on the pass. side, no big deal.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok. i thought it was wierd when i went to look at the car. but i guess it's not that unusual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
it's all up to your likes and dislikes. I've seen people mount there msd boxes inside of the glove box. if you want my advise, add your own touch to it.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it's all up to your likes and dislikes. I've seen people mount there msd boxes inside of the glove box. if you want my advise, add your own touch to it.
well, i'm not gonna mess with it. i haven't picked up the car yet. but i'm sure there will be more pressing issues than the location of the ignition box. :yes

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Heat. That is why people mount it on the inside. Heat is the number one killer of MSD boxes. 99% of the people that mount their MSD box under the hood that have a failure blame MSD and call them a bunch of names on the internet.

Ryan, as far as the voltage drop goes it is minimal that is if you even see a drop. I've experimented with this in the past and have never had a noticable voltage drop between the box and the coil. I don't run 8 feet of wire either. The most I've run was 5 feet and that was a bit excessive because this particular car had some obstructions that most Mustangs do not have. I've mounted MSD boxes in the trunk/hatch but I couldn't find any voltage information in any of my notes so I'm going to assume I didn't check on those cars.

I've always mounted my MSD boxes in the interior or in the trunk/hatch and I've never had a failure short of a couple defective Digital 6 boxes that didn't work from the word go. I've never had any ignition related problems either. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Just keep in mind that heat does drastically shorten the life of MSD ignition boxes.
Both of my MSD boxes are mounted inside the engine bay. One car I haven't had long, the other one I am still on my first box which is 7 years old. I think people get in trouble when they mount them on the firewall or near the headers. Mine are both mounted on the front of the fender aprons opposite of the battery. As far as voltage drop, I usually figure about 1% per foot of wire for DC with the wire carrying a load. Depends on if that 1% is important or not.

·
Registered
377 Posts
As far as voltage drop, I usually figure about 1% per foot of wire for DC with the wire carrying a load. Depends on if that 1% is important or not.

The voltage drop would be signifigantly less than 1% per foot if the correct gauge wiring was used.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts