Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was talkin with my boss who owns a 01 GT with some stuff done on it.

Me and him where talkin about boosting are mustangs and I remember reading about having to do alot of work like trans, drive shaft, rear, pistons, valves, But he said you can boost just run low boost.....would running lost boost be worth it? and plus would the motor even put up with that? Im thinkin about boosting the stang but in the far future.

I guess low boost as in anywhere from 5-9psi.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Running low boost is worth it. And the engine will put up with it as long as it doesn't have a lot of miles on it, and it's set up and tuned properly.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ok thanks for the info. I have about 55k miles on my engine but I want to prep the motor and trans before boosting. Then before I go for higher boost gonna redo the rear, so its stronger.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
thats what i was about to say ^^

·
Registered
423 Posts
you can run 11lbs easily on your engine

just you will want to change your transmission or you will be reparing it atleast 1-2 times a month

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
you can run 11lbs easily on your engine

just you will want to change your transmission or you will be reparing it atleast 1-2 times a month

With a conservative tune and not getting on it a lot. Thats a lot of psi to be putting on a stock bottom end engine, and other parts of the car. I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
go for 8 psi, its still a nice power gain untill you have enough to build up and the motor and such

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a 03 gt with 74,xxx miles with a vortech supercharger and 10lbs of boost on a stock motor. I have not had any problems yet and don't plan on it. i dont beat on the car but i do get on it quit a bit. the only problem i have had since the supercharger is I blew the driveshaft seal to the diff. i also have supporting mods and put out 425rwhp. I also hear that vortech and procharger type superchargers are safer on the engine than the roots type.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Just for reference.. in theory you will get 50% more power with 7psi and 100% more power with 14psi (divide your boost by 14 and multiple by your current hp for a rough estimate. Actual results will be slightly less than theoretical). Centri blowers can run slightly more boost than a positive displacement blower because they are more efficient, but will make WAY less power less than about 4000 rpms. On a stock motor its a good idea to keep it under about 425WHP. The tranny will hold up just fine at those power levels as long as you do not abuse it. If you want to do 5000rpms dumps on slicks, and powershift, it may not last long at all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
low boost is good. there is this guy at mph here in atlanta that has a mach 1 w/ 7 psi and 60 k with it set up that way. stock motor that is

1 - 14 of 14 Posts