Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up, guys? A little background: 2004 GT, 99-01 Cobra front bumper...I have the terminator deck lid and wing ready to get painted and I was in the process of looking for a 03-04 rear bumper cover.

Since I'm going through the other party's insurance is there any way I can come out of this situation with my Cobra rear bumper? I'm not familiar with the insurance process. I'm pretty sure my bumper needs to be replaced (see pics) but I don't want the regular GT bumper, I want my Cobra one. Am I being greedy? Or is there a legit way I can get it? If there is a way, what steps do I need to take to get the bumper, can I just tell the insurance that my bumper is from a 2004 Cobra? Or do you think they will know?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Go to the body shop you want to repair the car and discuss it with them. If you approach body shops in the correct manner they will make things happen.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I have had body shops do similar things. They charge the insurance company what it would take to buy the stock part and I pay the difference. But some insurance companies make the check you requiring you to sign a release. It then becomes your responsibility to pay the body shop.

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
what ive always done is get them to make the check out to me, not the body shop, then you can do whatever you want with it
Done that before when my BMW got side swiped. Ended up having enough money left over to get my hood repainted, radiator and fuel pump replaced (not accident related lol)

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I got hit in the door I took the car to the ins co. They gave me about $1500 for repairs. I then took the car to a good body shop and had them do an estimate for it. The ins co then sent their adjuster out to the body shop and ended up giving me about 3k more than originally thought. Most of the body shops I've worked with are cool and would put a cobra bumper on for you, they would just ask you for the price difference if there is any.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got hit in the door I took the car to the ins co. They gave me about $1500 for repairs. I then took the car to a good body shop and had them do an estimate for it. The ins co then sent their adjuster out to the body shop and ended up giving me about 3k more than originally thought. Most of the body shops I've worked with are cool and would put a cobra bumper on for you, they would just ask you for the price difference if there is any.
So you had the buddy at the body shot "pad the stats" so to speak? What did he say in order for you to get $3,000 more than what was given to begin with?

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
I think your first mission should be to get rid of those tailpipes... those things looks hideous lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
im interested to see what happens with this. Also most of my expirience has been, if you know the body shop they can usually just throw the cobra in there saying it was on there. Is there a big price difference between the GT bumper and the cobra? i know i have seen them on ebay and such for around $300.

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
Take it to your insurance, what they will do is gather a quote for everything that's damaged, using OEM parts to make up the quote. If you had stuff aftermarket (Exhaust tips) on there insurance will pay the difference if it costs more, if aftermarket is cheaper then OEM you can pocket the $$$ difference. Seeing how the factory tip and mufflers are a single piece you might come out way on top in that area. However, if you get a cobra bumper I think you'll have to pay the difference in OEM to Cobra, because you had an OEM bumper to begin with (you will only owe them if you exceed the quote). I wouldn't put a cobra bumper on there anyway, unless you shave the letters down or swap a 4v in lol.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Get a few quotes and pick the most expensive one, call their insurance and request a check then do what you want with the money. Thats what i did but i bought headers instead of getting my dent fixed

·
just another slow gt.....
245 Posts
What's up Joey! Sucks what happened. From my experience call insurance and file a claim. Either an adjuster will come to you or the company will ask you to get a quote. Talk to the body shop and explain what you want. Lmk if there's anything I can do for you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
100 Posts
So you had the buddy at the body shot "pad the stats" so to speak? What did he say in order for you to get $3,000 more than what was given to begin with?
They didn't do anything really. When I first took it in I took it to progressive's in-house repair place. They said they could fix the car or they'd give me a check. I told them I was going to take it to an actual body shop because the amount the gave me seemed low. The body shop agreed so Progressive sent one of their adjusters out to look at the car. Luckily the guy was a mustang fan who owned 4 of them and said he'd make sure it was put back together right. I ended up with a new door, rear quarter, side scoop and blending of the laser red paint so it wasn't a cheap repair.

·
Registered
147 Posts
SVO 85

I had the same deal when my driver's was hit over the summer, I took the car to Geico's Adjuster and kept my mouth shut because...(As an adjuster myself, policies and rules have to come first...However, he should evaluate the overall condition of the car, check for pre-existing and non-consistant damage )...Anyway, in my case like yours, because I bought the car new in 2001, and " take great care of it " (too much) The appraiser saw and appreciated what he saw and noted that aside from getting a new LKQ door...that the fender, quarter panel and the sail panels...Etc. needed to be blended...So like you, total damage was $3200.

BTW Like and always wanted Laser Red...Sweet color

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
Just get them to give you a check n ill have enough money to get a cobra bumper n get both the bumper n decklid painted n gas money for a month lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts