Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two links to dyno testing kooks headers. These are both S/C cars but the guy says they would get 22 to 28 on a n/a.

Three of us didnt.

Check out this gt500 dyno at 480 bone stock. makes the saleen look like a chicks car:)

Sorry couldnt find any dyno test on a n/a stang. I think we know why.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That is sweet! that Saleen would be right about the neighborhood of needing forging now, dont ya think? Very impressive either way.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
07stang what were your gains from the kooks?

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont know exactly. I gained 42hp and 14plbs of tq from cams, kooks catted x and delete plates. if you give the cams credit for 25hp that leaves you with 17. i guess its safe to say i gained 10 to 15. but there are two other guys on here that gained 10 and 12 from the kooks catted x. Maybe i gained more from them and none from the delete plates. I give the credit for most of the tq to the kooks though. The good news is i gained power everywhere with those mods from 2200 rpms up i gained hp and tq.

maybe it gets screwed up when you start figuring other mods in. I had an x pipe already, and maybe some of my mods are redundent. so i dont know mabye if you took a bone stock gt and threw kooks on it and then tuned it a little like they talked about it would gain 28. I do beleive i gained hp from just my frpp xpipe that i had before, i could feel the difference in the car. so that was deffinatley a reduntant mod and would have affected my comparision numbers.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats interesting if you think about it is that they tuned both of those cars. you could gain 20hp just tuning any stock mustang expecially a gt500 with no mods.

Im sure kooks isnt the only company acheiving numbers that way but it is deceiving to the extent that when you take already tuned and modded cars like most of ours. the results are probably not going to be the same.

·
Registered
462 Posts
This is what I got...Started baseline stock,added C&L Racer intake,and SCT Flashtune,...last Wed had Lamotta's Performance Install Kooks long tubes,high flow cats,X pipe,and of course a custom tune (by Jake Lamotta) for the header's, Hurst shifter...and 3:73 gears.... View attachment 13940

View attachment 13941 here are my Dyno Runs....The sound is awsome,much like the Mustang in the Movie Bullitt with Steve McQueen,I just ordered the DVD I's a gotta have if your a Mustang Freak....
07stang what were your gains from the kooks?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just posted my Dyno Runs for th N/A version..:mad:
I dont know exactly. I gained 42hp and 14plbs of tq from cams, kooks catted x and delete plates. if you give the cams credit for 25hp that leaves you with 17. i guess its safe to say i gained 10 to 15. but there are two other guys on here that gained 10 and 12 from the kooks catted x. Maybe i gained more from them and none from the delete plates. I give the credit for most of the tq to the kooks though. The good news is i gained power everywhere with those mods from 2200 rpms up i gained hp and tq.

maybe it gets screwed up when you start figuring other mods in. I had an x pipe already, and maybe some of my mods are redundent. so i dont know mabye if you took a bone stock gt and threw kooks on it and then tuned it a little like they talked about it would gain 28. I do beleive i gained hp from just my frpp xpipe that i had before, i could feel the difference in the car. so that was deffinatley a reduntant mod and would have affected my comparision numbers.

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
I was reading in the new MM&FF that there is little gain in any S197 exhaust mods, even headers. I knew you wouldnt gain hardly anything from axlebacks and midpipes, but was surprised about the headers. They said the only reason for headers would be for sound, and not to expect much hp.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I agree,I read the same article...I was disappointed with the little gain I got from the header's,but my tuner reassured me the headers where needed for the future installation of the S/C.That's when I will see large gains in Hp,and Tq.He guarenteed me with the installation of the Whipple twin screw I will get 440 at the rear wheels...Time to save my nickels,and dimes....lol....:cool:
I was reading in the new MM&FF that there is little gain in any S197 exhaust mods, even headers. I knew you wouldnt gain hardly anything from axlebacks and midpipes, but was surprised about the headers. They said the only reason for headers would be for sound, and not to expect much hp.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
i have the same mag what page is this? And you need a new tune after headers??

Its weird to think that even though we have the same cars that the gains with the same mods are different hahaha

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
I agree,I read the same article...I was disappointed with the little gain I got from the header's,but my tuner reassured me the headers where needed for the future installation of the S/C.That's when I will see large gains in Hp,and Tq.He guarenteed me with the installation of the Whipple twin screw I will get 440 at the rear wheels...Time to save my nickels,and dimes....lol....:cool:
Agreed, if your supercharged the longtubes are a big help for boost

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
all the article said was that an xpipe midpipe (assuming still wtih manifolds) and axlebacks yield about 10 rwhp. Thats about right but it said nothing about LT headers for the S197

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
No im just getting my research done on which ones im buying haha and MM&FF didn't say anything about LT headers...they just said mid pipe and axlebacks...im as confused as you are about you only getting like 17rwhp out of your kooks they are guranteed to be at least 22rwhp

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No im just getting my research done on which ones im buying haha and MM&FF didn't say anything about LT headers...they just said mid pipe and axlebacks...im as confused as you are about you only getting like 17rwhp out of your kooks they are guranteed to be at least 22rwhp
I think its the other mods i have. i guess if i had put them on when i was bone stock maybe i would have seen 22. but all them mods we do you cant just add them up on top of each other, they overlap each other. for example if you say you get 10 from an xpipe and 22 from lt's your not going to get 32 from lts and an xpipe. they have accomplished to an extent some of the same thing in allowing your exhaust to flow freer.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
yep exactly my O/R H pipe yielded 8 rwhp so 22-8 is 14 rwhp from the headers...kinda sucks haha im wondering if they are even worth the money haha

oh and do you need a new tune after you get the headers?

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
I just re-read, it didnt say specifically S197 in that sentece. It just says "We don't find much when changing the headers on modular Mustangs; the stock manifolds are pretty decent in stock combinations"

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
i still think getting the JBA LT's with the catless H pipe is gonna be worth it though even if its only 15 hp haha

Also 07Stang you have the FRPP intake system which is just an open filter off of the original intake tube right?? Like most of us here i have the JLT intake which allows more air into the engine and the more air coming in the more you can let out as said in MM&FF so maybe ill see a little more of a gain who knows but its all worth thinkin about thats for sure.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the frpp cai is the steeda cai. i like it. i am going to order the carbon fiber inlet elbow as well from steeda.

Im not dissapointed with the kooks. the sound is awesome and like i said its not all about peak hp. i gained power everywhere and i think that has a lot to do with the headers. i wanted to be a 350 when i set out with all this and im there so im happy.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts