Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My intake manifold heater hose nipple broke off about a quarter mile from home. It sprayed antifreeze everywhere. All over the engine bay, on the road, steam so thick I thought I had blown up the motor. Long story short I replaced it with the improved PI intake manifold with the aluminum crossover. Car started and ran perfectly as long as the motor was just reaching operating tempature. But after that it was missing out under acceleration. It idled fine and did not miss while reving it with the clutch in.

Since the car ran perfectly before the intake manifold swap and now missed out I thought I had done something wrong. I double checked my work, sprayed carb cleaner to try to find vacuum leaks, triple checked my work and couldn't find anything wrong. It only missed out under a load with the engine hot. I gave up and took the car to my mechanic. They found that #2 COP was bad.

Coincidence or did the antifreeze cause the failure?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Water or antifreeze got into the COP boots or in sparkplug wells. My best guess.
Im assuming you power washed the engine to get the antifreeze off. That caused the COP to short out and fail. Connected failure.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
yeah bad cop could be caused by antifreeze

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what I thought. I pretty much drowned the COPs when the manifold broke.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Dang you get bad luck, first your belt breaking and messing up your timing cover and now antifreeze is spraying its destruction all over your bay. One day you will catch a break I hope.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Definitely the anti freeze caused it. Did you buy a new one? Or did you try cleaning the #2 before buying a new one?

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
Damn. It wasn't too long ago that I was reading a thread where you said you had a ****-ton of miles and still on the all-plastic intake, if I remember correctly.

How many miles on the COPs? Mine started going bad around 90k and I just replaced them all.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
I had the same issue. I had to remove cops everyday and cleaned them out with air duster. So I could get back to work until the new manifold came in the mail.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Im sure thats what it was, the cop probably wasnt bad... bet it was just arching out. Has happened to my F150, jsut had to clean the cop with some brake clean and was good to go.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took it to a shop that I always go to. They put on a new COP. I'm still running the original COPs. They have 169,000 miles on them. Same as the original intake manifold that broke. I've been thinking about replacing the rest of them. Summit sells a set of eight Accel COPs for $200. That's not a bad price since I just paid $85 for one.

I drove for years without any serious repairs and I knew the original intake manifold had a limited life. Overall, for 169,000 miles I've not had that many repairs. The cracked timing chain cover was a surprise but if I had kept the pulleys aligned properly and not shredded four or five belts then it wouldn't have cracked.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Buy two sets of Accels..... or any other brand you choose. You'll need the other set to replace the ones that begin failing in about a year. All of the aftermarket units do produce more power, and will begin to fail in about a year. The stock COPs produce more than enough power to spark under high boost conditions. Search the forum for aftermarket COPs. Spend your money once and buy a full set of new Ford or Motorcraft COPs.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with bulloch, get a good set of motorcraft cop's. My plastic intake has 123000 on it. Wonder when it's gonna go...

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
If the COPs are firing the plugs properly there is nothing wrong with them. The one that died was likely shorted to the plug well by the coolant and burned out from that.

In regular use a COP never dumps it's full potential, more like 10% max; however you can burn out even a brand new COP with 25 to 30 rapid full power dumps--I've done it with my COP tester. BTW, shown below is an Accel COP being tested, the advice re: buying two sets is sound, they are crap. The one shown is one of five remaining good ones from a set that only lasted 20k miles before three died in as many weeks.

COPTesto-the-Destructor:

They will get so hot you can't hold it in your hand in 8 full dumps--here's a video of a stock COP firing across a 16 mm air gap.

You can test then with an adjustable gap tester, just disable the fuel system (pull the pump fuse) then remove the COPs one at a time and observe the spark while an assistant cranks the engine. Any COP that will fire across a 1/2" air gap has nothing wrong with it...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where can you buy Ford COPs for a reasonable price. I'm not in the mood to pay $86 each.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Junk yard, dime a dozen on any 4.6/5.4 Stang, F150, Expi.. ect. I damn sure wouldnt pay that much for a cop. Like said above... they either work or they dont. But if your looking for a whole aftermarket set I'd check out Sultans of Spark COPs Ford SOS Coils

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the COPs are firing the plugs properly there is nothing wrong with them. The one that died was likely shorted to the plug well by the coolant and burned out from that.

In regular use a COP never dumps it's full potential, more like 10% max; however you can burn out even a brand new COP with 25 to 30 rapid full power dumps--I've done it with my COP tester. BTW, shown below is an Accel COP being tested, the advice re: buying two sets is sound, they are crap. The one shown is one of five remaining good ones from a set that only lasted 20k miles before three died in as many weeks.

COPTesto-the-Destructor:

They will get so hot you can't hold it in your hand in 8 full dumps--here's a video of a stock COP firing across a 16 mm air gap.

You can test then with an adjustable gap tester, just disable the fuel system (pull the pump fuse) then remove the COPs one at a time and observe the spark while an assistant cranks the engine. Any COP that will fire across a 1/2" air gap has nothing wrong with it...

Here was the problem that I couldn't figure out (impatience and frustration played a part). After I got the motor back together, it ran smooth as silk at idle. It ran smooth when cold. It still ran smooth when the tempature guage first reached normal operating tempature. But a little while later it would start missing out under a load. It still idled fine and it didn't miss when I pushed in the clutch and reved the motor. But it would miss out when accelerating and it was a hard miss that shook the motor and car.

The shop changed the front driver's side front COP. I thought that fixed the problem. The car had good power after it warmed up. But after about 30-45 minutes of driving it came back. It now comes and goes whereas before when it started it stayed. And now its more of a stutter and doesn't shake the motor as bad. That sounds like a thermal breakdown to me. Since changing one COP nearly fixed the problem I'm thinking I've got another one going bad.

What about those SOS COPs? Are they any good? I've also found Grantelli COPs.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I haven't ran them personally but I've seen good reviews. I try to stay away from granatelli all together, heard to many horror stories to buy their stuff

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Here was the problem that I couldn't figure out (impatience and frustration played a part). After I got the motor back together, it ran smooth as silk at idle. It ran smooth when cold. It still ran smooth when the tempature guage first reached normal operating tempature. But a little while later it would start missing out under a load. It still idled fine and it didn't miss when I pushed in the clutch and reved the motor. But it would miss out when accelerating and it was a hard miss that shook the motor and car.

The shop changed the front driver's side front COP. I thought that fixed the problem. The car had good power after it warmed up. But after about 30-45 minutes of driving it came back. It now comes and goes whereas before when it started it stayed. And now its more of a stutter and doesn't shake the motor as bad. That sounds like a thermal breakdown to me. Since changing one COP nearly fixed the problem I'm thinking I've got another one going bad.

What about those SOS COPs? Are they any good? I've also found Grantelli COPs.
Stay away from all that aftermarket junk....... You can find Ford COPs cheaper than $86........ if you don't want to dump a **** ton of money on COPs don't buy any aftermarket units. Here's how that math works..... cost of aftermarket units + the cost of Ford units to replace them all within the year. I have personal knowledge of Granatelli.... as a matter of fact Joe Granatelli and I had a rather heated conversation on here about a year ago over the substandard COPs that his company and many others sell. Joe's repeated response was that they had a one year warranty...... They need a one year warranty, I assure you. Junk. I'll take an old junkyard Ford COP over any aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had a truck that would miss when it reached operating temperature

Turned out the head had a crack that let antifreeze drip into the sparkplug well when the coolant started moving

1 - 20 of 20 Posts