Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned the engine today...

1. Put plastic bag around CAI air filter so it doesn't get wet.

2. Spray Simple Green liberally over entire engine.

3. Let Simple Green sit on engine for about 5 minutes.

4. Use brush to scrub stubborn spots.

5. Rinse engine throughly.

6. Start engine to help drying process...

7. Start engine again to help drying process...

8. Start engine yet again to help drying process...

9. Start engine for the forth time to help drying process....

10. REMOVE PLASTIC FROM CAI FILTER!

11. Refer back to step 6.

12. Towel dry any remaining water.

13. Order new FRPP CAI replacement filter.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
ha nice sucks i did the same thing. i never ordered a new filter though. you did however forget to use some sort of foaming tire shine after the drying process. foam & let it sit till it's no longer foam. wipe excess shine off and bling bling...you're ready for the car show.

oh and you may want to wash your car last due to overspray of the tire foam.

and a special thanks to erin (emay) for the engine bay detail instructions

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ha nice sucks i did the same thing. i never ordered a new filter though. you did however forget to use some sort of foaming tire shine after the drying process. foam & let it sit till it's no longer foam. wipe excess shine off and bling bling...you're ready for the car show.

oh and you may want to wash your car last due to overspray of the tire foam.

and a special thanks to erin (emay) for the engine bay detail instructions
I cleaned the engine bay because I'm going to a car show in a couple weeks. It bent the air filter in to almost a V shape. :D So I need to replace.

The foaming tire shine... are you talking about spraying it on the engine?

·
10,234 Posts
i always coat the entire engine bay with it. accessories, brake res., coolant res, everything. after it has time to settle (15 min) just wipe everything down. you'll be amazed at how good it will look.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have always been chicken when it came to washing the engine. I been wanting to do it for a while, just alot of electronics to go hay wire. I need to its sure is awful dusty looking.

·
10,234 Posts
just don't use any high pressure on it. i don't worry about just rinsing it off with a hose, but DO NOT USE HIGH PRESSURE

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I would of brought the engine up to operating temp and then put some plastic over the battery, alternator and CAI. Spray on the water and then the simple green. I love simple green I used the concentrated stuff to get my old vinyl adhesive off and it did a great job. Even diluted with water it got it off pretty fast. Plus it smells good :)

I've personally never cleaned my engine though. With all the pollen in the air around here it usually looks like the Hulk busted a nut on my car in the mornings. Im just going to get a pollen colored car so it blends in.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I would of brought the engine up to operating temp and then put some plastic over the battery, alternator and CAI. Spray on the water and then the simple green. I love simple green I used the concentrated stuff to get my old vinyl adhesive off and it did a great job. Even diluted with water it got it off pretty fast. Plus it smells good :)

I've personally never cleaned my engine though. With all the pollen in the air around here it usually looks like the Hulk busted a nut on my car in the mornings. Im just going to get a pollen colored car so it blends in.
NEVER bring your engine up to operating temps and then spray water on it.... you risk cracking your block.

i WOULD run the car from cold for 5 minutes and let it heat up just a bit before cleaning

·
10,234 Posts
true, you don't want a hot engine to start with. only warm it up so the cleaner works better

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
NEVER bring your engine up to operating temps and then spray water on it.... you risk cracking your block.

i WOULD run the car from cold for 5 minutes and let it heat up just a bit before cleaning
Damn I didnt know that. Glad ive been lazy and never tried it :)

With the temps being as hot as they are here though 5 minutes would be operating temp. I check after I drive about a mile down the road and the temp needle is straight up. :(

·
10,234 Posts
you want just enough to get a little steam from the water then use the simple green or your prefered cleaner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts