Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I literally do NOT care who you are or what you think of yourself. There is NO, I repeat, NO, reason to be racing (from a dig or roll) on a public street where other cars (completely not involved in this stupid BS) use for transportation.

I don't even need to mention the safety hazard this causes because I'm sure anyone is well aware of it. And don't give me that sad sob story of, "Hey, I can control my car no problem." It's not you I'm worried about, it's the other people on the road who don't have a ****ing clue about what you're doing will attempt to avoid you.

This all come because of the following story... buckle up, it's gonna be a long ride because I put all the details in...

Every Sunday, I meet up with a group of Mustang guys to talk cars and just hang out in the parking lot of a strip mall. This strip mall has a lot of parking and so it's where we all meet. This past Sunday was just like every other day, but about five cars I didn't recognize show up. I had already planned on going up to Bear Mountain (local place in NY close to NJ) where I like to enjoy the scenery and take pictures of my car. I do NOT go WOT out there and quite honestly, it's about an hour drive away just to get out of the Urban NYC area.

Anyway, I go to leave the meet and everyone else is driving in the same direction as me, presumably I'm assuming to go for a drive in the similar direction. I should have known this instant, it was going to be trouble. 3 complete ass wipes, of whom I don't even know their names, drive ahead of everyone and essentially shut down a 3 lane highway to do rolling races over and over and over through 5 towns. I keep my ass in the slow lane, stuck behind them just like everyone else. Well after about 5-6 towns, said asswipes exit the highway and leave the group. about 3 miles late, I'm STILL in the slow lane at 45 mph, with 5 other mustangs (2 in front of me and 2 in back of me), when a local police officer merges onto the highway behind me. No surprise here, he turns his lights on.

I immediately pull off the highway into a parking lot and he follows me. First off, you WOULD think, the other guys in the group with me (who I thought were my friends) would have pulled off with me. Nope. Anyway, here's where the fun begins...

I turn my car off and have the window already open (my dad was a police officer of 30 years, I know exactly what to do to make things simple) waiting for the officer to come speak with me. Immediately he says, "Get out of the car." So as I comply, and am climbing out, he grabs me by the back of the jacket and throws me onto the hood, pulls my arms behind me and handcuffs me.

Me - "What the hell did I do?"
PO - "You and your jackass friends were racing up on down Rt 17. We got calls from over 3 towns away."
Me - "It wasn't me."
PO - "We got a description of your car." (Yea, right, my black stock 5.0)
Me - "It wasn't me. Racing it was three other douche bags."
PO - "You better hope they come back or you're taking the fall for all of them."
Me - "I don't even know them."

At this point the PO walks back to his car, as he is, I over hear him on the radio stating, "We got one, but we still haven't got the *color* mustang." Another police car shows up and the next officer gets out, they talk, then PO1 comes back. He picks me up by my arms which ****ing hurt (not expecting him to treat me like a queen, just expressing how it felt) and repeats...

PO - "If you don't get your buddies back here, you're getting the tickets for all of them."
Me - "I honestly, don't know any of them. I meet every Sunday with a bunch of my friends, we go up to Bear Mountain, take some pictures and come home."
PO - "Call up your friends and get them back here."
Me - "None of my friends came for the drive up here, and I don't even know of the first names of the guys who were racing."

The PO uncuffs one of my hands, shoves me back side ways into my drivers seat and says, "Call them and get them back here."

Now, I'm not a little bitch, but at this point, the only person I call is my wife, basically to tell her, on account of said dummies, I am about to get arrested, ticketed, whatever. As the PO comes back, I tell her I gotta go and hang up.

PO - "Did you get a hold of your friends?"
Me - "No, I don't have their numbers."
PO - "Who were you talking to?"
Me - "My wife, I told her I'm probably not coming home anytime soon."
PO - "Why's that?"
Me - "Ugh, You just told me that, I'm taking the fall for 3 jerkoffs that I don't even know."
PO - "Give me you license and registration."

I hand them over to him. After sitting in my car for about 10 minutes with one hand with a handcuff around it, the PO comes back.

PO - "Listen, since you cooperated with me, I'm going to let you go."
Me - "Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm not lying when I tell you, I had nothing to do with it."
PO - "Seems that way, where are you headed?"
Me - "Well I WAS going to go to Bear Mountain."
PO - "Where are you going now?"
Me - "I'm going back home. I'm not taking my chances."
PO - "Well listen, I won't do anything to you here, but I can't guarantee the 4 towns south of here won't. You might want to stay off of 17 and take the back roads."
Me - "Ok thanks."

I sat in my car for another 15 minutes in the parking lot, even 10 minutes after the police left cussing my head off. There is nothing more that could have ruined my day (or worse) than having that. Especially since NOBODY stopped to back me up... nobody.

The sad thing is, I had pictures of all the cars and everything (including license plates) that I should have AND would have given up, if it was taken any further. Have since acquired their names just in case this BS comes back to haunt me.

So anyone who does STUPID ROLL RACING OR DIG RACING ON PUBLIC ROADS, stop, you're making this hobby difficult for the rest of us to enjoy. I've since been invited to other cruises with my old friends and simply have no desire to go driving at all... My car is my daily driver, I'll just enjoy it during my commute.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
I literally do NOT care who you are or what you think of yourself. There is NO, I repeat, NO, reason to be racing (from a dig or roll) on a public street where other cars (completely not involved in this stupid BS) use for transportation.

I don't even need to mention the safety hazard this causes because I'm sure anyone is well aware of it. And don't give me that sad sob story of, "Hey, I can control my car no problem." It's not you I'm worried about, it's the other people on the road who don't have a ****ing clue about what you're doing will attempt to avoid you.

This all come because of the following story... buckle up, it's gonna be a long ride because I put all the details in...

Every Sunday, I meet up with a group of Mustang guys to talk cars and just hang out in the parking lot of a strip mall. This strip mall has a lot of parking and so it's where we all meet. This past Sunday was just like every other day, but about five cars I didn't recognize show up. I had already planned on going up to Bear Mountain (local place in NY close to NJ) where I like to enjoy the scenery and take pictures of my car. I do NOT go WOT out there and quite honestly, it's about an hour drive away just to get out of the Urban NYC area.

Anyway, I go to leave the meet and everyone else is driving in the same direction as me, presumably I'm assuming to go for a drive in the similar direction. I should have known this instant, it was going to be trouble. 3 complete ass wipes, of whom I don't even know their names, drive ahead of everyone and essentially shut down a 3 lane highway to do rolling races over and over and over through 5 towns. I keep my ass in the slow lane, stuck behind them just like everyone else. Well after about 5-6 towns, said asswipes exit the highway and leave the group. about 3 miles late, I'm STILL in the slow lane at 45 mph, with 5 other mustangs (2 in front of me and 2 in back of me), when a local police officer merges onto the highway behind me. No surprise here, he turns his lights on.

I immediately pull off the highway into a parking lot and he follows me. First off, you WOULD think, the other guys in the group with me (who I thought were my friends) would have pulled off with me. Nope. Anyway, here's where the fun begins...

I turn my car off and have the window already open (my dad was a police officer of 30 years, I know exactly what to do to make things simple) waiting for the officer to come speak with me. Immediately he says, "Get out of the car." So as I comply, and am climbing out, he grabs me by the back of the jacket and throws me onto the hood, pulls my arms behind me and handcuffs me.

Me - "What the hell did I do?"
PO - "You and your jackass friends were racing up on down Rt 17. We got calls from over 3 towns away."
Me - "It wasn't me."
PO - "We got a description of your car." (Yea, right, my black stock 5.0)
Me - "It wasn't me. Racing it was three other douche bags."
PO - "You better hope they come back or you're taking the fall for all of them."
Me - "I don't even know them."

At this point the PO walks back to his car, as he is, I over hear him on the radio stating, "We got one, but we still haven't got the *color* mustang." Another police car shows up and the next officer gets out, they talk, then PO1 comes back. He picks me up by my arms which ****ing hurt (not expecting him to treat me like a queen, just expressing how it felt) and repeats...

PO - "If you don't get your buddies back here, you're getting the tickets for all of them."
Me - "I honestly, don't know any of them. I meet every Sunday with a bunch of my friends, we go up to Bear Mountain, take some pictures and come home."
PO - "Call up your friends and get them back here."
Me - "None of my friends came for the drive up here, and I don't even know of the first names of the guys who were racing."

The PO uncuffs one of my hands, shoves me back side ways into my drivers seat and says, "Call them and get them back here."

Now, I'm not a little bitch, but at this point, the only person I call is my wife, basically to tell her, on account of said dummies, I am about to get arrested, ticketed, whatever. As the PO comes back, I tell her I gotta go and hang up.

PO - "Did you get a hold of your friends?"
Me - "No, I don't have their numbers."
PO - "Who were you talking to?"
Me - "My wife, I told her I'm probably not coming home anytime soon."
PO - "Why's that?"
Me - "Ugh, You just told me that, I'm taking the fall for 3 jerkoffs that I don't even know."
PO - "Give me you license and registration."

I hand them over to him. After sitting in my car for about 10 minutes with one hand with a handcuff around it, the PO comes back.

Me - "Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm not lying when I tell you, I had nothing to do with it."
PO - "Seems that way, where are you headed?"
Me - "Well I WAS going to go to Bear Mountain."
PO - "Where are you going now?"
Me - "I'm going back home. I'm not taking my chances."
PO - "Well listen, I won't do anything to you here, but I can't guarantee the 4 towns south of here won't. You might want to stay off of 17 and take the back roads."
Me - "Ok thanks."

I sat in my car for another 15 minutes in the parking lot, even 10 minutes after the police left cussing my head off. There is nothing more that could have ruined my day (or worse) than having that. Especially since NOBODY stopped to back me up... nobody.

The sad thing is, I had pictures of all the cars and everything (including license plates) that I should have AND would have given up, if it was taken any further. Have since acquired their names just in case this BS comes back to haunt me.

So anyone who does STUPID ROLL RACING OR DIG RACING ON PUBLIC ROADS, stop, you're making this hobby difficult for the rest of us to enjoy. I've since been invited to other cruises with my old friends and simply have no desire to go driving at all... My car is my daily driver, I'll just enjoy it during my commute.
Suggestion for the future: You have a cell phone, you are going reasonably slow, record it, get plates, pull off the road, stop, do whatever to get away from them, continue on. If you get pulled over you've got video proof you were not involved, you've got plates and descriptions of the car and what they were doing and you got yourself AWAY from that situation to absolve you of any guilt by association bull ****.

Or better yet, call the cops on their bitch ass, tell the dispatcher what vehicle you are in, your license plate and tell them you aren't a part of the clusterfuck. Give plate numbers and vehicle descriptions.

·
Cletus Emmett Wheelwelker
2,575 Posts
Wow, that's shitty. If that happened to me, but I got arrested instead, I would have no reservation about ratting those idiots out. I enjoy accelerating fast like the next guy, but I never do it in residential areas, and I sure as hell don't do it around other cars.

There's a difference between having fun, and being an irresponsible douche. Sadly, it's the guys who don't know the difference that mess it up for the rest of us.

·
Cletus Emmett Wheelwelker
2,575 Posts
Suggestion for the future: You have a cell phone, you are going reasonably slow, record it, get plates, pull off the road, stop, do whatever to get away from them, continue on. If you get pulled over you've got video proof you were not involved, you've got plates and descriptions of the car and what they were doing and you got yourself AWAY from that situation to absolve you of any guilt by association bull ****.

Or better yet, call the cops on their bitch ass, tell the dispatcher what vehicle you are in, your license plate and tell them you aren't a part of the clusterfuck. Give plate numbers and vehicle descriptions.
And I agree with this.

In a situation like that, do anything you can to disassociate yourself from them. I would even pull off and leave them so there's no mistaking you for them.

*Tree'd by the towel*

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Stop being a ****ing little bitch. Go cry to your wife about it. JK, got my BB mentality out lol.

That sounds like a super shitty situation, but at least the cop realized you weren't one of the dicks shutting the roads down and let you go. Although I would be ****ing pissed to get pulled out of my car and thrown on my hood for NOTHING but speculation and targeting because of your car.

With that said, I think this situation was more a product of douchebag drivers than purely street racing. I am not an advocate for street racing but understand that it will never be stopped, and also realize that it is often performed in some of the best ways possible, low traffic, no pedestrians, rural straight roads, etc. Problems arise when arrogant pricks think they can do whatever they want without any repercussions, and those effects often trickle down to everybody (either in excessive traffic enforcement, false accusations, higher insurance, whatever). Street racing can at least be executed in a manner that minimizes the risks and external effects on others, but douchebags don't have this filter and it ****s people over. I think you should just loathe douchbag drivers that think they are invincible because that description doesn't describe all street racers. And I don't even street race lol.

Hopefully those assholes get caught and you're never in a situation like this again!

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Damn dude sorry that happened. I honestly would of have gave up there pics and plates the moment I was in cuffs. I'm not taking the fall for anyone especially people I don't know.

·
Needs moar meat
5,011 Posts
That's ridiculous man. Now I'm not entirely positive, but since they had no definitive proof of you actually racing, the most they would be able to do would be hold you (not sure of some of the laws in the US) for 24 hours. There's nothing they would be able to charge you on, other than your car matching a generic description.

It's BS that it got handled that way, and that your buddies just bailed on you. I do agree with Whiskey. Gotta get outta that situation. Even if it means pulling over for a bit while the idiots get off ahead.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The cop was an ass and a liar (although he can lie to you).

For starters, they can't ticket you (civil infraction or misdemeanor) because someone called in and said, "I saw him racing his car." For moving violations, he has to see it (or conclude it based on evidence, such as traffic crash that wins you an award for "Failure to Stop Within Assured Clear Distance" because you hammered some old lady from behind because you didn't stop).

They were simply trying to get you to ADMIT you did something. Admitting guilt is fulfills the probable cause standard, which means he can, then, issue you a citation.

Next, when he said, "If you don't get your buddies back here, you're getting the tickets for all of them.", he's full of crap. He can't ticket you for the actions of another driver. He was trying to scare you into calling your buddies back, have them be stupid enough TO come back, and get THEM to admit (to him) that they broke the law so that he could issue citations to THEM.
Translation: "I do NOT have probable cause that you have violated the law and, therefore, I can no longer detain you nor give you a citation."

Never, never stop "as a group" if someone is being pulled over (e.g., for speeding or racing). NEVER. The ONLY thing this accomplishes is it gives the officer more targets and more potential opportunities to write MORE tickets. Note that I didn't say ACTIVELY RUN from the police. That's not what I"m saying. What I'm saying is: A single officer can only pull over one car at a time. Don't be a dumbass and pull over WITH him so that YOU can get a ticket, too.

·
Keep Moving Forward
1,006 Posts

For starters, they can't ticket you (civil infraction or misdemeanor) because someone called in and said, "I saw him racing his car." For moving violations, he has to see it (or conclude it based on evidence, such as traffic crash that wins you an award for "Failure to Stop Within Assured Clear Distance" because you hammered some old lady from behind because you didn't stop).

They were simply trying to get you to ADMIT you did something. Admitting guilt is fulfills the probable cause standard, which means he can, then, issue you a citation.

Next, when he said, "If you don't get your buddies back here, you're getting the tickets for all of them.", he's full of crap. He can't ticket you for the actions of another driver. He was trying to scare you into calling your buddies back, have them be stupid enough TO come back, and get THEM to admit (to him) that they broke the law so that he could issue citations to THEM.
Translation: "I do NOT have probable cause that you have violated the law and, therefore, I can no longer detain you nor give you a citation."

Never, never stop "as a group" if someone is being pulled over (e.g., for speeding or racing). NEVER. The ONLY thing this accomplishes is it gives the officer more targets and more potential opportunities to write MORE tickets. Note that I didn't say ACTIVELY RUN from the police. That's not what I"m saying. What I'm saying is: A single officer can only pull over one car at a time. Don't be a dumbass and pull over WITH him so that YOU can get a ticket, too.
Hey look! Someone using logic! It couldn't be!?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Subbed to read

Okay so after reading about it that seems kinda crazy. The cop seemed like a dick at first but on the bright side at least he let you go without too much hassle in the end.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
85 Posts
LZREDGT said:
Hey look! Someone using logic! It couldn't be!?
And from a (soon-to-be former, due to my recent catastrophic injury) reserve police officer, even ...

That's ridiculous man. Now I'm not entirely positive, but since they had no definitive proof of you actually racing, the most they would be able to do would be hold you (not sure of some of the laws in the US) for 24 hours. There's nothing they would be able to charge you on, other than your car matching a generic description.
With nothing more than some phone calls from people claiming that some people were racing, the officer had NO evidence that amounted to probable cause (PC) that would have allowed him to cite and/or arrest. He has to have evidence (that amounts to PC) that the subject committed or is committing the violation to cite or arrest. An admission of guilt = probable cause (that's why you NEVER admit anything on-scene).

They can STOP you if they have "reasonable suspicion" that a crime MAY have occurred. RS is a lower standard of evidence than probable cause, which is what they need to cite/arrest. The phone complaints = RS to *stop* you, but the need MORE evidence (that amounts to probable cause) to cite/arrest. Once stopped based on RS, the officer must then ascertain that OTHER evidence amounts to PC (then cite/arrest) -or-, if he can't, he must release you.

No, they can not detain you for 24 hours when they do NOT have PC. Having only reasonable suspicion and lacking probable cause, they can only temporarily detain you for a reasonable amount of time to ascertain whether or not there IS evidence to fulfill the probable cause standard. Courts have held that this temporary detainment sould be no more than 10-15 minutes, tops. If they do not have PC that you committed a crime, they HAVE to release you. Otherwise, they are violating your Fourth Amendment protection against illegal search and seizure.

·
Needs moar meat
5,011 Posts

This. Thanks for clearing that up, Pilot! Wasn't sure about the US law in regards to that. But I know here in Canada they really can't do anything other than pull you over and try the same old tricks. Not able to charge you with anything unless you admit it or they witness it

·
Registered
85 Posts
This. Thanks for clearing that up, Pilot! Wasn't sure about the US law in regards to that. But I know here in Canada they really can't do anything other than pull you over and try the same old tricks.
You'd be amazed at the things people admit after being stopped.
Not able to charge you with anything unless you admit it or they witness it
If there are enough witnesses (more than one) who can independently corroborate the activities, then that can be used to build PC (e.g., three different people claim they saw you beat your wife/GF, you can be arrested for DV even though the officer didn't see it). Same goes for any other evidence outside of the officer actually witnessing it.

Here in the states, every state has its own set of statutory laws. Some require the officer to actually witness the moving violation, others don't.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Also I know exactly how you feel. One of the towns I have to drive through pretty frequently has this kid with a dark green sn that looks just like mine and he drives like a jackass. I get followed every time I drive through until they realize it's not him.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
And there's another reason for me to leave cars and coffee events by myself...

That's wicked shitty man, I'd be pissed myself and probably would have given up the pictures right away.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts