Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i want to put a gt rear bumper on my v6 because i recently got a dual exhaust. ok first of all anyone now where i could find a gt bumper? second how much do you think it will cost to paint the bumper? does the whole car have to painted as well? also i heard someone talking about just cutting the holes for the tips in the v6 bumper. does that really work? let me know what you think i should do

·
Registered
186 Posts
A. WHY?????? You have a v-6 plz for the love of all that is holy dont get a gt bumper...
B. in case you dont listen to A, you can get one from a junk yard, online just google seach for it....yada yada so forth and etc.
C. Depends on the color of the paint you are going for, Black is normally the cheapest, red is generally one of the more expensive colors. The whole car does NOT need to be painted, however you may need to "fade" the paint into your rear quarter panels and trunk to make it match.
D. if you cut your bumper to make it look like a GT bumper it will look retarded and i will find a way to make you commit jihod on yourself....you will agree if you see it.....it looks really fricken retarded.
E. your exhaust should have come with turn downs that are designed to put your tips down and out...it looks fine believe me...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
i dont like the 99-04 v6 mustangs with dual exhaust.. i think it looks stupid. if you have dual exhaust then get dumps :D and if you dont want that then go ahead and get the gt bumper..

·
Shake N' Bake
5,698 Posts
^ the only things i agree with what he said is dont cut ur current bumper and u wont have to paint the whole car...they should be able to get your paint code and match it pretty easily, and cost rougly around 200 bucks...other than that id get a bumper that has the dual cut outs, who cares if your car is a v6, it will look a lot better, its not like your taking GT badges and stickin them on ur car...anyways just go to google and search "mustang body kit" and most of those websites will have plenty of rear bumpers to choose from

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
pipes that turn down towards the pavement after the muffler to not worry about the bumper and also the sound echos off the pavement.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
A. WHY?????? You have a v-6 plz for the love of all that is holy dont get a gt bumper...NO....sometimes the tips for dual exhaust touch the rear bumper cover and melt it. dual exhaust V6 = GT rear bumper.
B. in case you dont listen to A, you can get one from a junk yard, online just google seach for it....yada yada so forth and etc.
C. Depends on the color of the paint you are going for, Black is normally the cheapest, red is generally one of the more expensive colors. The whole car does NOT need to be painted, however you may need to "fade" the paint into your rear quarter panels and trunk to make it match. Paint fading is almost always done ONLY if a section of an entire piece is being painted. Painting an entire rear bumper cover should most likely NOT need to be faded.
D. if you cut your bumper to make it look like a GT bumper it will look retarded and i will find a way to make you commit jihod on yourself....you will agree if you see it.....it looks really fricken retarded. +1, dont cut it...do it the right way the first time.
E. your exhaust should have come with turn downs that are designed to put your tips down and out...it looks fine believe me... If his exhaust doesnt come with turndowns or if he doesnt want to use turndowns, again a GT rear bumper cover will solve the problem

I Dont remember the name of the site....but there is a real good place to buy body parts, etc for your car. Ill look it up and see if i can post it later....unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
my kit that i bought and had installed was set up for turn downs, and doesnt come close to the bumper. has about a 1/4-1/2 inch gap

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
A. WHY?????? You have a v-6 plz for the love of all that is holy dont get a gt bumper...
C. Depends on the color of the paint you are going for, Black is normally the cheapest, red is generally one of the more expensive colors. The whole car does NOT need to be painted, however you may need to "fade" the paint into your rear quarter panels and trunk to make it match.
D. if you cut your bumper to make it look like a GT bumper it will look retarded and i will find a way to make you commit jihod on yourself....you will agree if you see it.....it looks really fricken retarded.
E. your exhaust should have come with turn downs that are designed to put your tips down and out...it looks fine believe me...
Since when is it a crime to put a dual exhaust rear bumper on a v6? I don't think he said he was badging it as a GT. . . .

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Plus crash, you should know, in alot of states cars legally have to have tailpipes come out the back of the car.

Id say go with the GT bumper. It definitly looks better and its not like it says gt on it.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
C. your exhaust should have come with turn downs that are designed to put your tips down and out...it looks fine believe me...
im an idiot..ill admit to that, what are dumps again?
... i must agree with you and would like you to take note of what your avatar says... there is no need to put someone down cause they want a different bumper...

OP, you can get bumpers anywhere, call ford and get a base price to go off of... then look around online, ebay, cragslist, aftermarket vendors, then from there check junkyards...

also call local paint shops and tell them what the dealio is and they will give you estimates again, do your shopping don't settle on the first thing you see

·
Registered
186 Posts
I originally thought about doing that myself, then i saw a v-6 with the v-8 bumper, IMO it looked like ass, it wasnt badged for GT or anything but...i dunno something about it just didnt look right to me...and my kit still has the tips out the back just angled slightly down below the bumper. Still out the back and not touching the bumper...

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
i ran dual ehxaust for a year and the tips would NEVER be hot enough to burn the bump
NEVER not even a 3 hour drive

secondly it'll cost probably $200-500 for the bumper painted, its best to get a qoute from a paint shop

where
you can look in a bone yard or some GT owners run dumps and want a v6 bumper and offer trades

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I originally thought about doing that myself, then i saw a v-6 with the v-8 bumper, IMO it looked like ass, it wasnt badged for GT or anything but...i dunno something about it just didnt look right to me...and my kit still has the tips out the back just angled slightly down below the bumper. Still out the back and not touching the bumper...
The V6 with a GT rear bumper with duals will have the look of a GT. It not copying off of the GT, its just that that bumper IS MADE FOR dual exhaust.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
i ran dual ehxaust for a year and the tips would NEVER be hot enough to burn the bump
NEVER not even a 3 hour drive

secondly it'll cost probably $200-500 for the bumper painted, its best to get a qoute from a paint shop

where
you can look in a bone yard or some GT owners run dumps and want a v6 bumper and offer trades
Im not sure if yur talking about what i said with the burning of the bumper....but i said if the tips touch the bumper they may melt it a little. And i know this because before i got my side exhaust the tips in the back touched the bumper and it did melt it.....nothing serious, but i was kinda pissed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
... i must agree with you and would like you to take note of what your avatar says... there is no need to put someone down cause they want a different bumper...
I dont mean to put anyone down (i no it apears that way) i gave my opinion and i gave some info on how/where to go to do the job at hand. I do apologize for putting your idea down, but its been racked into my head so many times from peers that i just blurted it out, and read it later to realize how bad i made it seem......:sorry :(

·
The George Forman of Keepers
2,356 Posts
To each thier own opinion but...
Duals coming off a regular bumper look great if you get the right chrome tips and take care of them. Dude, DONT cut the bumper yourself for the love of God!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts