Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wheelin' and dealin!
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, so I tried to smoke out my tail lights on my car using VHT nite shades. I i did like 4 light coats and it was still some what clear before it dried, but now that its dry, its like pitch black... I hooked them all up to my car and I had my buddy hit the brakes and its barely visible in the day time. I just know I'm going to get pulled for it and I want to be safe and try to get some brighter tail light bulbs. I tried to use the search tool, but I am no good at it. Sorry for all of the posts, and I appreciate any help in advance!
I will get a picture before it gets too late.
No lights on:

Just head lights on:

Now with brakes pressed in:

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
take goo gone to it and re-do it. easiest way.

·
Wheelin' and dealin!
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take goo gone to it and re-do it. easiest way.
Wont goo gone eat through the plastic? and I thought the Nite shades was pretty much permanent?

·
Registered
105 Posts
You could do the led bulbs, but you will also have to buy a resistor for each lamp. The leds dont pull enough power for the computer to read it. Mine was really dark when i did mine at first. Is yours kind of a flat black? Mine was. I took 1000 grit sandpaper and wetsanded the hell out of it all the way up to 2500 grit to get a good polished look, and it also lightened the shade up significantly!

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
Wont goo gone eat through the plastic? and I thought the Nite shades was pretty much permanent?
thats what i thought, but it doesnt do anything. i always use that when i screw up haha. theyre not permanent. thank god.

·
Wheelin' and dealin!
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could do the led bulbs, but you will also have to buy a resistor for each lamp. The leds dont pull enough power for the computer to read it. Mine was really dark when i did mine at first. Is yours kind of a flat black? Mine was. I took 1000 grit sandpaper and wetsanded the hell out of it all the way up to 2500 grit to get a good polished look, and it also lightened the shade up significantly!
wow that all sounds expensive lol but I guess I will pull them off and try goo gone first and then I will try wet sanding them

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
wow that all sounds expensive lol but I guess I will pull them off and try goo gone first and then I will try wet sanding them
After that take meguires or mothers compound and rub it till it gets a glassy look.

·
Wheelin' and dealin!
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what i thought, but it doesnt do anything. i always use that when i screw up haha. theyre not permanent. thank god.
Well will it affect it if I have 3 layers of clear coat on it?

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts

·
Wheelin' and dealin!
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should take it right off. I had 4 layers just takes a generous amount.
And plenty of rags I bet, but ill tackle this project tomorrow and post some pics on here of my new ****

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
Dude those are fine. Mine are WAY darker than those.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would have kept the brake light in the spoiler alone for the idiot drivers, atleast this way if they rear end you they cant say it was because all of your lights were black and they didnt see em when you braked. Im surprised u didnt leave that one alone and tinted the side reflectors on the bumper instead. If anything id throw one of those Mustang brake light stickers on it from A.M, so that way atleast some pure red light is showing. But VHT those side reflectors too :) just my 2 cents tho, GL fixing it bro.

·
Wheelin' and dealin!
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would have kept the brake light in the spoiler alone for the idiot drivers, atleast this way if they rear end you they cant say it was because all of your lights were black and they didnt see em when you braked. Im surprised u didnt leave that one alone and tinted the side reflectors on the bumper instead. If anything id throw one of those Mustang brake light stickers on it from A.M, so that way atleast some pure red light is showing. But VHT those side reflectors too :) just my 2 cents tho, GL fixing it bro.
I think i will do my side reflectors, but yeah Im going to strip it off the 3rd brake light, it came out shitty anyways and thats smart thinking by you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts