Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, tomorrow I plan on buying a carry pistol. I would like some opinions, I do have a list of my favorites, but there is a handful of others that I don't know that much about.

So first my list in order.

Kimber Pro Carry II (I like 1911's, and after handling one, I really dig the crimson trace for quick acquisition. I can see how that could be a big advantage durning the heat of the moment type of thing.)

Springfield EMP (I've read a lot of good things about it, I own Springfields and have had excellent luck with them. It was the front runner until I handled the crimson trace)

Springfield XDS (again lots of good reviews, great price, I prefer .45acp, nice price tag)

Others I don't know enough about and would like some education.

Glock, shot one once, didn't care for the trigger, but it was my first time shooting a pistol so I don't put stock in my first opinion. What model?? I guess I just don't know enough about them.

Smith and Wesson M&P. Never felt one, don't know much, other than they get good reviews.

Any others??

My budget is about $1200, but would be happy spending less. (if I buy a XDS, I can then buy another gun Im after too. so big plus) I really love 1911's and I like 45acp, but am comfortable with 9mm or .40, actually I think I would go for a .40 over a 9mm if I had a choice (Springfield EMP). I really really liked the crimson trace..

Okay help please!! Thank you!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I'm a big 9mm fan. It's cheaper to shoot, and most people can more accurately shoot it, myself included, on follow up shots. I love the M&P, the ergos are amazing. That said, you can't go wrong with a 1911. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Sent from my N860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
Out of all the guns you listed, my choice would be an EMP in 9mm.

Officer sized 1911s in .45ACP tend to have a higher occurrence of malfunctions than the commander and government sized guns. There are much better options out there than a Kimber, especially for $1200. Overall, I would avoid any officer sized 1911. What I would recommend outside of what you listed is a CCO (Concealed Carry Officer). It's a commander length slide on an officers frame, it offers the best of both worlds. The one I would recommend is a little bit out of the price range you listed, but I feel that it is totally worth the money. That is a Dan Wesson CCO. If you compared this gun to a Kimber, the difference in quality is immediately apparent. The build quality and attention to detail of the DW is just a cut above the Kimber and even the Springfield.

I own a Dan Wesson VBOB which is their top end commander sized, bobtailed gun. I was not planning on spending a bunch of money on a 1911, but that changed as soon as I picked up the DW and compared it to the other guns I was looking at. It is just a superbly crafted, accurate, reliable handgun.

If the DW is just too much money, take a look at a Sig RCS or Sig C3.

CZ-USA -> Dan Wesson CCO

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that Dan Wesson.. That thing is sexy, almost to sexy to carry.. I did read a very lengthy review on the Dan Wesson Guardian on a defensive carry forum. And for a extra hundred I think I would spring for it. But $1600 is a lot, need to think on that..

I never even considered Walther, I will have to do some research on that. It is a nice looking gun, thank you 1BDSTNG.

I will have to play with a M&P some tomorrow.

Great opinions so far, thank you guys!

Hey Red, any opinions on the crimson trace? would it be worth it to put it on whatever I buy? I'd hate to change out the DW grips..

·
six shooter
247 Posts
I haven't shot a ton of handguns. I didn't like the 1911. I loved the Glock 21, but that's too large to conceal. The Glock 19 wasn't bad. My brother and dad have some .45 Taurus guns, which weren't bad. My dad's has a shorter grip which was more of a mental set back for me, but didn't effect my shots. My brother says his was $470, and my dad paid less than that for his. There were a few others, but I don't remember what they were.

I bought a Taurus revolver off a friend's grandmother with some ammo for next to nothing (around $200). It only holds 5 rounds of 38special or 357mag, but it shoots well enough and is reliable. I probably wouldn't have gone out and gotten this, but it was a good deal. I'm kind of enjoying the simplicity and reliability of revolvers now and may eventually get another one. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
I like that Dan Wesson.. That thing is sexy, almost to sexy to carry.. I did read a very lengthy review on the Dan Wesson Guardian on a defensive carry forum. And for a extra hundred I think I would spring for it. But $1600 is a lot, need to think on that..

I never even considered Walther, I will have to do some research on that. It is a nice looking gun, thank you 1BDSTNG.

I will have to play with a M&P some tomorrow.

Great opinions so far, thank you guys!

Hey Red, any opinions on the crimson trace? would it be worth it to put it on whatever I buy? I'd hate to change out the DW grips..
The street price for those CCOs is about $1400. There's a brand new factory blemish model on gunbroker right now for $1250.

DAN WESSON CCO BLEM IN 45ACP : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

As for the CT grips, it's kind of a you either love it or hate it kind of thing. Personally, I think they are a good idea on smaller guns with poor sights, but my experience on bigger guns is I start to depend on the dot instead of the sights, and I feel like it slows me down.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Speer Gold Dot HP 9mm
Muzzle Velocity 1210
Muzzle Energy 375 ft/lbs

I just pulled them off the web. I can tell you that we used to carry a Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 cal when I first came on the job. They sucked, alot of malfuctions and issues with the magazines, misfeeds etc. You have to have the piece of mind that your weapon is going to fire. The department did research on finding the best overall round (.357 Sig), and handgun (Glock). Patrol carries the Glock 31 and the detectives and female officers carry the Glock 32. You can actually see the difference in the round velocity between even the 40 and the .357 sig at the range. My wife got me a Glock 33 for Christmas one year and I love it. Guys also like the Glock 40 too. I don't think any of them are carrying the Glock 9mm, but there are guys with a lot of guns I don't know about. My Dad has my great uncles 9mm for me I just have to pick it up.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
If my hands don't fit well in a Glock...how the hell do your dick beaters fit on it? Do you have normal size hands or gorilla sized?

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
If my hands don't fit well in a Glock...how the hell do your dick beaters fit on it? Do you have normal size hands or gorilla sized?
Hahaha, I have decent sized hands. My pinky and bottom of my hand definately hang off the bottom of the 33. You can get a mag extender but I like to keep it as small as possible. I can still get a good grip on it. We have to pass the same qualification course in order to carry our off duty that we do with the duty.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Hahaha, I have decent sized hands. My pinky and bottom of my hand definately hang off the bottom of the 33. You can get a mag extender but I like to keep it as small as possible. I can still get a good grip on it. We have to pass the same qualification course in order to carry our off duty that we do with the duty.
You're comfortable shooting with your pinky hanging off? Never tried, just felt weird when I held the Glock. I like my XDm but the grip on those are about 15" long

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Speer Gold Dot HP 9mm
Muzzle Velocity 1210
Muzzle Energy 375 ft/lbs

I just pulled them off the web. I can tell you that we used to carry a Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 cal when I first came on the job. They sucked, alot of malfuctions and issues with the magazines, misfeeds etc. You have to have the piece of mind that your weapon is going to fire. The department did research on finding the best overall round (.357 Sig), and handgun (Glock). Patrol carries the Glock 31 and the detectives and female officers carry the Glock 32. You can actually see the difference in the round velocity between even the 40 and the .357 sig at the range. My wife got me a Glock 33 for Christmas one year and I love it. Guys also like the Glock 40 too. I don't think any of them are carrying the Glock 9mm, but there are guys with a lot of guns I don't know about. My Dad has my great uncles 9mm for me I just have to pick it up.
When was that test done? When the sigma was still around? Nobody is going to argue that the sigma wasn't a piece of ****. I used to swear by Glock, until I shot an m&p. I now own 2 m&p 9s and 0 glocks.

Op, what it comes down to is your personal opinion. Everyone is going to tell you that the gun they own is the best out there. You need to go to a store and handle different guns, and shoot them if possible. I guarantee one of them will just feel "right".

Sent from my N860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts