Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Para Ord. 1911 in .40 S&W, my dad carries it perfectly fine and I belive its a full size, and hes not a big dude.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
When was that test done? When the sigma was still around? Nobody is going to argue that the sigma wasn't a piece of ****. I used to swear by Glock, until I shot an m&p. I now own 2 m&p 9s and 0 glocks.

Op, what it comes down to is your personal opinion. Everyone is going to tell you that the gun they own is the best out there. You need to go to a store and handle different guns, and shoot them if possible. I guarantee one of them will just feel "right".

Sent from my N860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
We have been carrying glocks for 5 or 6 years now. They are used heavily by Law Enforcement to include the .357 sig. Most departments that provide your weapon are using Glocks. You can bury a Glock in the sand pull it out and have no malfuctions. My life depends on my weapon every shift and I trust the Glock. A 9 mm wouldn't even be considered for a duty carry. I want stopping power. I agree that he should get the firearm that works best for him. Everybody has there favorite.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
...of course everyone haS their own opinion. In cases like this the OP is asking for different firearms to consider. I offered the Walther PPS .40 which he hadn't considered. This just gives him ideas for more options...which probably will make his choice more difficult, lol.

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
There is one reason why Glocks are used heavily in law enforcement. It's not because of performance, reliability, etc. Only one thing and that is the cost to the department. This is not saying it's a bad pistol. The truth is any of the big three are just too damn close to come down to anything other than personal preference, IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, so I got to the store today and was able to play with a few. I was hoping to look at these.

Sig 229
Sig 226
Glock 32 gen4 in .357sig
S&W MP
XDS

Well I got to play with the 229 and the 226, both didn't feel right to me, so those are off the board.

I did play with a Glock, but again it just didn't feel like the right gun for me.

What I did find and what I am figuring out is that I am a 1911 guy. I love my RO, and they just feel good to me.

They did have a Sig C3 with crimson trace NEW for $999.00, that thing felt great.. almost to great. plus it had the CT that I wanted. So at the moment I am pretty much sold on it.

I have played with a XDS before and it is nice, just so small.. Which is great for conceal, but I'm just not totally sold on it. I guess I would buy it because its cheaper than some of the other options that I have looked at. And while thats great, I almost feel like that shouldn't be the reason I buy it. I think I want something that looks good and goes...

I had them look up a Dan Wesson Guardian for me, and they said $1800..? So I think he looked up the wrong one since the MSRP on it is $1600.

Still haven't played with M&P, but I'm kind of lean away from polymer pistols..

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
We have been carrying glocks for 5 or 6 years now. They are used heavily by Law Enforcement to include the .357 sig. Most departments that provide your weapon are using Glocks. You can bury a Glock in the sand pull it out and have no malfuctions. My life depends on my weapon every shift and I trust the Glock. A 9 mm wouldn't even be considered for a duty carry. I want stopping power. I agree that he should get the firearm that works best for him. Everybody has there favorite.
My issue weapon is a Beretta M9, and i would trust my life with a double tap to the face with 9mm any day of the week. I'll agree a glock is a good reliable weapon, but not the only choice these days.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
My issue weapon is a Beretta M9, and i would trust my life with a double tap to the face with 9mm any day of the week. I'll agree a glock is a good reliable weapon, but not the only choice these days.

Sent from my N860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App[/QUOTE

I agree there are a lot of choices in weapons and if used properly they all can be effective. I have never been in a shooting, but I wouldn't count on making a double tap to the face in a shootout, I don't care how good of a shot you are. The sad truth is a lot of officers don't even clear their holsters. Head shots are a fine motor skill which diminishes with stress. We concentrate on center of mass. We train head shots also. I know the .357 sig is going to penetrate. Any long range I'm going to the AR 15.

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
From what is it is sounding like you are leaning in the 1911 direction by your own admission.

I too love the 1911 platform. My carry gun however is the HK45 and HK45c. They are very much like the 1911, because kent hackathorn, and Larry Vickers designed the guns off of HK's 1911 project. In some ways, :tomato I believe the HK45 is better than the 1911. It gives me 2 more rounds in a flush fit magazine, the same if not better sight radius, 1913 rail standard, and interchangeable back straps. It also fits me like a glove.

The HK45c is also about the same in that regard for a compact, it will accept the 10 rounders, has a 1913 rail, interchangeable back straps, and will fit 8 rounds flush with the compact mag. The sight radius is also a wonderful thing on that gun. Very very shootable, and I can run one of either of them, all day long.

HK's polymer is also pretty damn tough. You would be surprised. I know there are very many HK haters out there because of their price point ($800-1000 brand new). **** I was one myself, because I thought they looked stupid. But after shooting them for so long, and owning many of them (I also have Glocks, Sigs, and 1911's, also having shot M&P's, rugers, with a few others), I have found that they are the best for ME. They have not once given me trouble of any kind, and have had superior fit/finish compared to some others. Are they the best, no, there is no one superior gun out there. But definitely worth a look IMO.

Here is my video on my HK45c: (don't make fun of me, I know I suck.....and got fat on leave off mom's cookin after 30 days of leave. I just finally got the weight off.)

For SD, and HD I like to use 9mm or 45acp.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well ****....

Thank you all very very much for your opinions, they are greatly appreciated, and I did take every single one of your opinions, ideas, in to account. You guys are amazing, wealths of information, including videos!!!

Thank you!!! If any of you guys are ever in MN beer and coffee are on me!!

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
Well ****....

Thank you all very very much for your opinions, they are greatly appreciated, and I did take every single one of your opinions, ideas, in to account. You guys are amazing, wealths of information, including videos!!!

Thank you!!! If any of you guys are ever in MN beer and coffee are on me!!

Looks great! Now get yourself some Wilson Combat mags and a good holster.

·
Super Moderator
39,159 Posts
NYPD and LAPD don't seem to have any issues with 9mm...

A +P+ 9mm is going almost as fast as a .357 sig without the increased ammo cost and recoil.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
.357 sig is no doubt an expensive round. Luckily I can shoot the departments ammo for free :) In regards to the .357 sig round itself, the Secret Service and Air Marshalls carry it. I don't really think an arguement can be made that a 9mm has the stopping power of a .357 sig. It's clear in ballistic testing. I wanted something small and powerful to carry off duty. As all off you guys know it isn't like the movies when you hit somebody with a round and they automatically go down. Somebody may take ten rounds before going down. Even if I had to buy the ammo, which could change anytime, I want any advantage I can get.

OP Congrats on the purchase, enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Where at in MN? I'm in the upper western part of Iowa from time to time.

We live in the north suburbs of St. Paul, if anyone's ever in the area, I'd be happy to meet up with you!

Redfire's on it, it was $999.00 + tax, came to $1071.xx.

I've already stripped it and cleaned it, and now its ready for some range time. I just might sneak out of the house early tomorrow morning!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts