Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im getting Crappy MPG and i think this is why.

well my car is getting around 200~ miles to the tank, and thats with light driving, (like going to 2k rpms in first to 2nd, then 1.5k rpms from 3rd to 5th)
or driving skipping third gear all together.

my mods are not that heavy, i have my car dropped some. (ebak springs)
UDP (which are suppose to help gas)
X-pipe with steeda mufflers

i honestly do not know what gears i have, i set the tuner to stock and my speedo is right now now (give 1mph) but i still think the rpms are to high for stock, and i dont really want to just go under my car to check (ill do that when i change my oil)

Race tune is on my car (but with light driving, not much mpg change from street tune or the performance)

i do have 275 tires all around with 17inch rims, but thats not that bad for gas.

well anyway enough of that stuff, anyone else think thats why im getting shitty gas milesage, because of crappy cats? (i got the codes saying cats are running well or something)

where can i get some cheap ones, or highflow, im not really looking to spend $200 for each, (i think i just have 2 cats not since its an aftermarket X pipe, correct me if im wrong)

and i dont really want to cut out my cats and but a pipe there since i have a vert and its already loud on the inside (that might be a temp solution till i get some cats though)

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pypes high flow cats. U can have them welded into ur xpipe. It sounds like you have stock gears and the tires can throw ur speedo off alittle. Do u run about 2k at 75 mph?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pypes high flow cats. U can have them welded into ur xpipe. It sounds like you have stock gears and the tires can throw ur speedo off alittle. Do u run about 2k at 75 mph?
not sure, never on the high way lol but ill figure it out soon

·
Registered
258 Posts
i get about that much too, maybe like 220 something tops. one time i got 290 something but it was prob 3/4th highway driving

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
You need to truly figure out MPG. Fill the car, reset the trip odometer, run it til between 1/4 and empty, fill it back up, divide miles on trip odometer by gallons of gasoline purchased on the 2nd fill up.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to truly figure out MPG. Fill the car, reset the trip odometer, run it til between 1/4 and empty, fill it back up, divide miles on trip odometer by gallons of gasoline purchased on the 2nd fill up.
sweet, i filled it up 1/4th today since gas was 10 cents more at the shell and it was the only place around, (screw paying 10 cents more lol)

other than that, does it really have to be 1/4th or could it be .5 or any other number?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
those cats are high flow. and you can check your mpg at anytime you fill up, just devide the miles you drove to how many gal of gas you pump

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Just saying, I averaged 260-280 miles a tank with an offroad X and a short throw; nothing more. That was a mix of city and highway. Best I got out of it was 375 miles with Atlanta work traffic for about 30-45 minutes.

I think it's in your driving habits, not the exhaust.

If you bought the cats for $200 it would take roughly 17 weeks for you to start seeing that money in your wallet.

·
11.5:1 or GTFO
12,899 Posts
The most i got was no joke 396 miles on one tank. Thats shifting below 2.5k everytime and all highway miles from here to charelston. I thought that was damn good

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i would cut them off, just that i have a vert, so it would be way to loud in my opinion.

hey with the mpg thing, i tried just doing a hypothetical one but it never came out right.

ex. (just not real but)

i drove 50 miles from a 3.50 gallons so my tank is 15 gallons (i think its 15.6 but this is an ex)

so
50/11.5=4.34
how does that get my mpg?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
that is some bad math yu got going there its 50 miles divided by 3.5 gallons added which equals 14.28 miles per gallon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts