Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys so I spun a rod bearing about a week ago and I figured I might as well put forged internals in the shortblock while it's open and getting checked for damage.I was thinking of getting a set of rods and pistons from mmr but there is also a guy locally selling this http://www.californiafords.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=108757#000000 it seems like a good deal to me especially since it comes with a new crankshaft. My goals for the car are to supercharge it (vortech) and I'm shooting for 500-600 hp, will the stock shortblock handle that much power and will this rotating assembly handle that much power?

Also, what other parts will need to be replaced and if you guys can give me some links yo them. My dad and I will most likely end up doing most of the assembly then take it to a shop to get it balanced. Thanks for any help and input

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
yes the stock block should be fine to handle your goals, but the link to the rotating assembly is broken... rotating assembly is not the area to cut costs, i'd go with a name brand

another consideration, when looking, be sure to get a balanced crankshaft, it's cheaper than having a shop do it

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the stock block should be fine to handle your goals, but the link to the rotating assembly is broken... rotating assembly is not the area to cut costs, i'd go with a name brand

another consideration, when looking, be sure to get a balanced crankshaft, it's cheaper than having a shop do it
Fixed the link, and any idea of where to get a balanced crankshaft?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
you can only get a "balanced" crank if you buy the rods and pistons with it so that they balance them together, if you piece it together you have to get it balanced, shops dont charge much to do this so it's not a huge deal. MMR makes good parts, I would have no fear running a set of mmr rods/pistons especially since from what i've heard it's all made by manley for mmr, so basically the same thing as manley without the manley name.

That kit seems to be a pretty decent deal, considering for a mmr piston/hbeam rod kit you're looking at 900, plus 100 for balancing and finding a crank(if yours is too beat up). Scat stuff is decent, you dont see many of their parts in 4.6's for some reason but older 5.0's use them a lot.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can only get a "balanced" crank if you buy the rods and pistons with it so that they balance them together, if you piece it together you have to get it balanced, shops dont charge much to do this so it's not a huge deal. MMR makes good parts, I would have no fear running a set of mmr rods/pistons especially since from what i've heard it's all made by manley for mmr, so basically the same thing as manley without the manley name.

That kit seems to be a pretty decent deal, considering for a mmr piston/hbeam rod kit you're looking at 900, plus 100 for balancing and finding a crank(if yours is too beat up). Scat stuff is decent, you dont see many of their parts in 4.6's for some reason but older 5.0's use them a lot.
Yea I just wanted some other options in case I didn't buy this set, if it's not a good Denali will be going with a set from mmr forsure, and what is scat by the way?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
scat's just a brand, very similar to eagle. the link you posted they're using a set of scat rods.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Seems like a pretty solid deal if you aren't looking for much more than 600 hp, I wouldn't take a cast crank up too much higher than that. I have Mahle pistons sitting on some Manley rods, works just fine. I think this is a good deal because its already balanced, a machine shop around me wants $280 to balance a rotating assembly.

·
Registered
907 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts