Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey, i just bought a 302 carb from a 86 gt, i got a motor and tranny for 500$, so i couldnt turn it down, i bought it to swap it in my 4 banger 88 lx vert, the motor has a 289 edelbrock intake, with a 600cfm carb on top, dsm distributor. its missing the alternator, ac pump, and some other belt appliances, but what i want to know is, will the alternator and ac pump fit the 302 from the 2.3?, or will i need to buy a new one.

Also will i have to get a fuel pump with a lower output since it was a fuel injected 4 banger? also, i have pictures, but i was curious to as what the 2 holes on the top front of the intake manifold are for? do i just plug those or am i missing something there too?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you think so? around where i live, your lucky to find one in the condition i got it in for 750$ just saying, i test drove it before he pulled it out of his car, ran hard, had track reciepts, he ran low 14's on it, had some internals done to it also, but how about we stick to why i posted this in the first place.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
hey, i just bought a 302 carb from a 86 gt, dsm distributor. QUOTE]

85 was last year of carb and 86 first year of fuel injection.

Did you mean MSD distributor ?

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
hey, i just bought a 302 carb from a 86 gt, i got a motor and tranny for 500$, so i couldnt turn it down, i bought it to swap it in my 4 banger 88 lx vert, the motor has a 289 edelbrock intake, with a 600cfm carb on top, dsm distributor. its missing the alternator, ac pump, and some other belt appliances, but what i want to know is, will the alternator and ac pump fit the 302 from the 2.3?, or will i need to buy a new one.

Also will i have to get a fuel pump with a lower output since it was a fuel injected 4 banger? also, i have pictures, but i was curious to as what the 2 holes on the top front of the intake manifold are for? do i just plug those or am i missing something there too?
The alternator will work off the 2.3 if you clock it by loosening the bolts that hold the two halves together, then remove them, and move the rear housing without removing it. You spin it around until the plug receptacles are in position for the 5.0 harness to plug into.
The a/c compressor won't work.
fuel pump from a 4 cyl is not going to be a great idea, but if you have to use it, get a regulator that will go down to carb pressures and make sure it is a return style regulator and use the factory supply and return lines. Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
big help, but what would be better, getting a adjustable fuel pump? or the regulator? which will i be better off with?, i can get a fuel pump at half price at advance auto, since my sisters the manager, so no worrys there. and is there a post of how to put the 2.3 alternator in the 5.0? i kinda understand what you said i had to do, but not totally. thanks again!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts