Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my stock torque converter since it is starting to fail on me at wide open throttle. My question is do I go with a replacement converter with stock stall speed, or should I go with a higher stall, like 3000-3500. My car is a 2007 4.6 Saleen supercharged, 10 psi, headers, about 450 hp 430 torque at the wheels. 3:31 gears. I hear guys with the 3000 stall TCI streetfighter love the way it drives and I understand the higher stall is good for high rpm launches, but my car is a daily driven fun street car and I don't want to lose the power I have on tap with just a punch of the gas. I don't really want to have to rev the engine to 3000 rpm just to take of from a stoplight. I can do that now from idle and it's just the way I like it. If anyone here can enlighten me as to whether the higher stall will improve the street performance then I'll purchase one today. Otherwise I may just buy a direct stock replacement converter

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
It'd be good to know what your stock stall is.

By my understanding of torque converters, you don't have to spin the motor to 3k before it goes, 3k is just where applying the brakes would create enough resistance that it would kill the motor.

You might look at something like a 2200 or 2500 rpm stall, that'd give you the performance gain you're looking for without going to something that may be obnoxious on the street.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts