Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was told these are twisted heads heat track and possible the pistons are trickflow specifics for these heads. they look like dished not like the stockers.
if you can see in the picture, the valves have a total of three springs per valve. does that sound right. I am replcing all gaskets and putting this motor in my car. it was running very strong when I purchased it. I was told it was bored to a 306. what RPM can I rev it to with this drivetrain, I hope a little higher than stock, but not sure. Planning on putting a vortech v2 with 10 lbs pulley and 42 lbs injector with calibrated maf and all miscellaneous bolt ons.
pictures can be viewed in this link

thanks for any help.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Those are just relief cuts made in the pistons for valve clearance with the TF heads.

And those are TFs dual spring valve springs ( theres only two springs per valve ).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are just relief cuts made in the pistons for valve clearance with the TF heads.

And those are TFs dual spring valve springs ( theres only two springs per valve ).
In the last picture you can see (counting fron inside to outside) a small spring, then a flat spring, and last the outer spring.

are the relief cuts made to the piston or they are fabricated that way?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can easily fabricate relief cuts in a piston, but those were made that way...

And Im telling you, that is a dual spring ( not three )...

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-31400414 - Trick Flow® Valve Springs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

BTW- If you want to know exactly what heads you have there, run the serial number at trickflow.com...
I appreciate you taking your time to post the link. It clears things up.

Any advantages besides the stated in the link about tha cam, such as being able to spin the motor to a slighly hier RPM like 6400?
can the pistons be made bu trickflow? I did not see the name on it at least from the pictures.

·
14,391 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say those are trickflow pistons considering its got the TF heads and springs...

And no. Dont put the motor over 6400. You need to get it on a dyno to see the exact rpms but your peak power is probably right around 5800-5900. No need to go above that...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I had to guess, I would say those are trickflow pistons considering its got the TF heads and springs...

And no. Dont put the motor over 6400. You need to get it on a dyno to see the exact rpms but your peak power is probably right around 5800-5900. No need to go above that...
Yeah, it will go to the dyno to get it tuned once everything is all done.
thanks a lot for your response

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
ditch the springs since your not sure which cam theyre for and get the right ones

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ditch the springs since your not sure which cam theyre for and get the right ones
I did not give too many details since I am at work. but I was told fron the seller that it has a custom cam (dont know specs at least right now). He said the motor was built by dss, not sure if the long block, or just the short block. it came with the diablo chip dyno tune for the mods it has.
I would not dished those springs even if I did not know which cam is there. what springs would I dished them for? at least I know those work well.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
ask him if he ordered the springs with the cam, otherwise go rev it to 7k and see if it floats a valve

·
14,391 Posts
I did not give too many details since I am at work. but I was told fron the seller that it has a custom cam (dont know specs at least right now). He said the motor was built by dss, not sure if the long block, or just the short block. it came with the diablo chip dyno tune for the mods it has.
I would not dished those springs even if I did not know which cam is there. what springs would I dished them for? at least I know those work well.

huh?

·
14,391 Posts
Im not trying to question your knowledge of cars but based off your questions you hardly sound qualified to be doing you own head gaskets. Hope all goes well...

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
how can you tell if a valve floats? any noticeable symptoms?
i learned this from an old guy 93 mustank knows.. pull some rockers and look at the line where the rocker rides on it if it look like the lines seem to go in like a circular motion and looks like this button on the keyboard(*) like the valve was spinning in its seat then you have valve float.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts