Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on ebay... I'm really thinking about getting them for the front... Then adding the back later.. I have a 02 Gt, so who has upgraded to the cobra calipers? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought the front upgrade kit from ford racing. Came with the calipers, pads, rotors, and steelbraded brake lines. What a difference. I spent a little more and got the red powdercoated calipers. This a great investment if you ask me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much was the total? I saw some on ebay.... are you happier with the stopping performance?

·
Registered
927 Posts
The total from fordracing.com for me was 384 shipped, and arrived in 3 days. They are a huge improvement over stock and the price is great.
did that include every thing ?

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Do the full upgrade. You won't be disapointed. And for the last touch on the conversion, don't forget the Cobra/Bullitt/Mach1 17" space saver spare. The first flat you have to change (if that's your bag) you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah,the 17" spare is a must,the stock one won't even try to go on.The only other way around it is to swap a good tire back to front,then put your stock spare on the rear,unless you have staggered fitment then your **** outta luck.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The total from fordracing.com for me was 384 shipped, and arrived in 3 days. They are a huge improvement over stock and the price is great.
Thats it? Doesnt seem very expensive

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the stock GT spare will not clear the rear cobra/bullitt/mach upgrade... Any ideas? $200 is too much for a ****ing cobra spare.. will an 05 GT 17" spare fit? what about with spacers?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I am sorry you upgraded the rears. They really don't add much performance. Otherwise you could do what I did. I put the rear tire on the front and put the spare on the rear. Since you changed out your real brakes you have no choice. Get a Cobra spare or call a toll truck.

I'm just curious, why did you change the rears when the calipers are exactly the same. Only the disc is different.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Cheapest way to upgrade is to go to advance auto and get a set of rebuilt cobra calipers. The name is ground off but other than that they work great. The 96-98 are the cheapest because they have a slightly smaller caliper pistons but still use a 13" rotor.

I found out when one of the ones I bought off ebay needed rebuilt and I bought one for like $85 from advance auto.

·
Get out of my way.
536 Posts
Cheapest way to upgrade is to go to advance auto and get a set of rebuilt cobra calipers. The name is ground off but other than that they work great. The 96-98 are the cheapest because they have a slightly smaller caliper pistons but still use a 13" rotor.

I found out when one of the ones I bought off ebay needed rebuilt and I bought one for like $85 from advance auto.
If I were to pick a set of these up, would I need anything else to mount them? Or would I buy a set of these and a set of 13 inch rotors and just mount in place of the stock GT gear?

I was just on Ebay and there is a full set of Cobra calipers and rotors for both front and rear going for 500 or so and thought if what you say is true then I would just do the fronts and get the rebuilt ones and buy a nice set of rotors and pads.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
The cheapest way to improve your brakes and will stop 100% as well, if not better than the Cobra's, is found in Brakes upgrade (sig) :yes

No need to get a Cobra spare tire and upgrades I recommend should be done to the Cobra brakes anyway.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't see why a 17" 05 spare wouldn't work. Offset really shouldn't be a problem since the spare is only like 4" wide.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
If I were to pick a set of these up, would I need anything else to mount them? Or would I buy a set of these and a set of 13 inch rotors and just mount in place of the stock GT gear?

I was just on Ebay and there is a full set of Cobra calipers and rotors for both front and rear going for 500 or so and thought if what you say is true then I would just do the fronts and get the rebuilt ones and buy a nice set of rotors and pads.
You need the caliper brackets also. Might also need new banjo bolts also. I remember using the stock bolts and lines the first time. I forget which years need to be changed. It's been 6 years ago lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The previous owner upgraded the brakes.. I'm gonna gamble on a 17in 05 gt spare.. might clear the caliper.. may need a spacer.. just bought on eBay for 60 shipped

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts