Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Sofa King Slow
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much as the title states. This isn't one of those 'what bike should I buy' threads. I'm tossing the idea of an FZ07 and a generic 250 in my head.

Anyhow, what's the process? Should I buy the bike before I get a permit? MSF first? I have done quite a bit of reading and kind of understand the process. I just don't know where to start.

Then there is learning how to ride, I have a few people that can teach me but as of right now I have 0 experience on any 2 wheeled vehicles. Aside from this little crotch rocket my mom got me when I was 13 or so haha.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Since you have 0 experience I highly recommend the MSF:BRC course, it is designed for people who have never even sat on a motorcycle. This course will also help lower insurance in most states and is mandatory to get your license in a lot of states.

·
Manthusiast
2,806 Posts
I would take the course, then go buy your bike. That way insurance will start lower and you can test ride the bike.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree with the others, however what you're saying about only being able to ride 250's, I've never heard of. I know in other countries they do this, but to my knowledge, in the great country of 'merica, once you get the endorsement you're good to go, regardless of what size you learned on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Only one problem with that. In Utah the bike I test on in the MSF is only 250 cc. So I will only be able to legally ride bikes 250 cc or less.
I have NEVER heard of a law that says you can only ride a whatever CC or lower than what you test at.

In WV, you have to have your own bike to test on, but an endorsement is an endorsement.

·
Sofa King Slow
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

"Rules are now in place that require motorcycle riders to be restricted to riding a motorcycle based on the cc size of the motorcycle they are tested on. In other words, if you tested on:

a motorcycle 90 cc or less, you can only ride a motorcycles/scooters 90 cc or less.
a motorcycle 249 cc. or less, you can only ride a motorcycles/scooters 249 cc or less.
up to 649 cc or less, you can only ride a motorcycles/scooters 649 cc or less."

"About The Course
This course is a 15 hour course with 5 hours of classroom training and 10 hours on the motorcycle. The schools provide motorcycles and helmets and use 150 cc and 250 cc motorcycles for training.

NOTE: If you take the riding course on one of the school's motorcycles, you will be restricted to riding that size when you get your license. So, if you want to ride a motorcycle that is larger than what you tested on with the school, you will need re-test with the school or with driver license on your larger motorcycle."

Source: DMV Website

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I would've had to take the test four times since I went from 250 to 600 to 999 to 1157. That's the damn dumbest thing I've ever ****ing heard of.

Does the state of Utah do a learner a permit type deal? Wv and ohio do. You take a written and you can ride during the day in "clear" weather without a passenger. If so, that would allow you to test ride some things to see what you want before buying since that's the CC range you'll be stuck in.

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
Will you have to get another endorsement if you buy a car with a V8? Stupid rule. Surely someone you know has a dirt bike or something you could get your feet wet on.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
1. MSF Course
2. Take the voucher they give you to DMV and get license
3. Buy a bike
No it should go like this:

1. MSF Course
3. Buy a bike
4. Buy full gear (FULL FACE HELMET with gloves, jacket, etc.)
5. Then go riding

Don't forget...gear can be expensive, but please dear God wear it. Though I'm still pretty ****ed up from my accident, my helmet saved my life.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts

1. MSF Course
3. Buy a bike
5. Then go riding

Don't forget...gear can be expensive, but please dear God wear it. Though I'm still pretty ****ed up from my accident, my helmet saved my life.
This. I paid $350 for my helmet, $60 for gloves, $180 for jacket. I've never had to put any of it to the test, but be prepared. Let me go find a tree to knock on now.

·
Manthusiast
2,806 Posts
ATGATT= all the gear all the time. Many people follow it religously.
Id start on a 500 or non super sport 600.

Curious if you test on like a vstar 1100*slow bike*. If you can turn around and ride like a cbr1000rr.

·
Sofa King Slow
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

1. MSF Course
3. Buy a bike
5. Then go riding

I guess in my case I'll have to borrow a friend's bike for the MSF or something.

ATGATT= all the gear all the time. Many people follow it religously.
Id start on a 500 or non super sport 600.

Curious if you test on like a vstar 1100*slow bike*. If you can turn around and ride like a cbr1000rr.
I definitely have no intentions of skipping/skimping on gear. I was looking at the Shoei RF 1200 for a helmet.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Throw tomatoes at me now. But I think they whole CC thing is a good idea. Too many people go out and buy bikes that are WAY too powerful for them for their first bikes because a 600cc "Isn't cool", and a 1000 is a lot cooler to say you have. So people get on them and kill themselves.

I think its a good idea to have to test your skills to get a license for that CC of a bike. However, I also believe in limiting the amount of laws that are written just to protect people from themselves, so I guess I contradict my own post lol.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I had my dad buy me a dual sport Suzuki 650. He would ride it to the trail while I drove and we would do training lessons. I would reccomended that way. If anyone you know has a dirt bike is just to learn the real basic stuff of starting stopping and turning then take the class. That way you have some knowledge and can comprehend more of what they are saying.

·
Sofa King Slow
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Throw tomatoes at me now. But I think they whole CC thing is a good idea. Too many people go out and buy bikes that are WAY too powerful for them for their first bikes because a 600cc "Isn't cool", and a 1000 is a lot cooler to say you have. So people get on them and kill themselves.

I think its a good idea to have to test your skills to get a license for that CC of a bike. However, I also believe in limiting the amount of laws that are written just to protect people from themselves, so I guess I contradict my own post lol.
Would you consider a 689cc bike 'too powerful'? I don't think the FZ 07 has ABS either lol. *shrug*

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
It depends. Everyone is different.

If you have experience ridding then no. If you have none, then perhaps. I started on a 600rr but I had years of riding motocross bikes under my belt, so I knew all about throttle response and how a motorcycle handles. Personally, I'd never start out on a road bike period. Too many idiots on the road out there to be learning how to handle a bike while people in 4,000 lb missiles fly past you and cut you off. Because you will most certainly not learn how to REALLY handle a motorcycle by taking a week long class. It takes many many hours of riding, if not years to really learn how a bike rides and before your body learns emergency procedures that it will automatically implement when needed. Not to scare you, but you did ask lol. To answer that short, I wouldn't feel safe on any bike on the road after only taking a class for a few days. Its ALOT different than being on the road in a car.

I don't ride at all on the road anymore though. I sold my sport bike this spring and I'll never own another. There's too many idiots out there and I no longer feel safe riding on the highway. I will however own another motocross bike someday. I love riding those, but I'll never ride on the road again.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts