Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
if you want to get a cheap clay kit then just buy the clay seperate and create your own clay lube with 1-1/2oz car wash soap and fill the rest with water in a 32oz bottle...instead of using a quick detail spray or the clay lubes they sell.

if your finish has tons of swirls anyways and also has heavy surface contamination then i would suggest using a blue (mild) clay bar. there is also a red clay bar which is most aggressive..but if your finish isnt too bad then the white bar that comes with the kit would be fine. run your hand across a clean car while your hand is in a plastic bag and feel for bumps to gauge how severe the contaminants are more aggressive clay bars can mar the paint slightly in spots which is why the car is usually polished after using an aggressive clay. always make sure you use plenty of lube and flip and fold the clay frequently to a clean side

im not quite sure which buffer your speaking of but the random orbitals you can buy at autozone or wherever are most likely not in the 3500rpm range

the reason the car you saw had a really deep finish is because it was free of any surface contamination and swirls that would otherwise cloud the paint and not let it shine through as clear.

a pretty standard issue DA (dual action) polisher is the Porter Cable 7424XP. dual action means that it goes in a circle AND oscillates in smaller circles inside the larger circle. Faster polishers to use for polishing are rotary polishers which move in a perfect circle and will remove paint much faster than a DA polisher but dont take one of those to your car unless you have adequate experience with it first

i am no expert on paint correction at all and i am just getting my own PC7424xp but all that i am telling you is just general information. But to get professional results you need professional products. I.E not products from any local autoparts store. generally you would use a mild polish followed by a finishing polish, then a paint cleaner, then a sealant to protect your new finish which can be left alone or topped with carnauba. i wont give you any directions or tips for polishing because i am just learning myself

check out We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store for all further information you would need on the topic as well as products

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
...and I don't wanna take the chance of doing it outside...
i have almost always clayed in the sun or atleast outside and have never had any problems. you can clay your car usually in an hour or less

just get the kit. you really only need to clay every 6 months or before any machine polishing, unless it obviously needs to be clayed otherwise. dont buy $40 bars of clay...if you dont detail cars every day then you dont need to get the 8oz bars...just buy the kit every time you clay your car would be your best bet

1 - 2 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.