Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I would not get the Mothers Clay kit. The Meguiars Clay kit it better the clay they use is better quality and will pick up above surface contaminates better. You can pick this up at any automotive store or walmart for like $20 and it comes with Meguires quick detailer, two clay bars, case for them, and their supreme shine microfiber towel. If you want a quality clay better than that I suggest clay magic it's the originator and will leave your finish extremely smooth. For lubricant I use Chemical Guys Sythntheic Quick Detailer at 2 parts QD to one part filtered water. I get my products from DetailedImage.com or Autogeek.com. Here is a link showing you how to clay (see bottom of post). As for a buffer that is better than the ones from your auto parts store the standard entry level buffer is the Porter Cable 7424XP its a great machine and is less likely you burn through your paint since it is a Dual action polisher Bullitt ak already went into detail so I wont repeat the same thing. Hopes this helps out man. Once you decide about paint correction items (pads, polishes, protection, towels, etc.) let me know I can help you make some decisions since your starting out on this.

How To Properly Use a Clay Bar – Detailed Image

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Any updates on how your claying session went man and what you purchased?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
haha... nah, still haven't done it. waiting for one of my friends to let me use their garage... I am NOT doing that outside... but, I'm gonna buy the Mothers Clay Kit, still haven't decided on the wax and all the other "after care" products...

you have no idea how indecisive I am when it comes to my car...
Still going with the mothers kit :no just kidding man as long as you clay it, also are looking for quality products or some decent over the counter ones?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
some quality, but also I don't wanna spend $40 on a little 20g piece of clay... I want enough clay to do my car...

...and I don't wanna take the chance of doing it outside...
I have never seen clay at $40 or at such a small amount not sure if your exaggerating or you have actually seen clays priced that high. Either way here is a link for a good clay in a good amount for a great price. Also every time I clay my car which I just did today because I'm finally doing my paint correction I do it outside. What claying does is it removes above surface contaminates that are on your finish. It removes them safely with the lubrication so if a little dust falls on the surface it will be picked up by the clay bar and the detail spray just keep folding the clay bar are you move from section to section. If it makes you feel better do it inside in the shade and with the garage closed.

DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay - 200 g | Detailed Image

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I use Clay Magic clay but the DI clay is made by the same manufacturer that Clay Magic is made from it even say it in the description, so most likely is that same thing. As for lube you can get just the regular Meguiars Quick detailer spray or Meguiars M34 Spray. Or you can also get this kit which is another great kit with enough clay and the lube is included and its only like 5 more bucks.

Automotive Clay Bar Overspray Eraser Bar

As for the the Porter Cable 7424XP only get it if your willing to invest your time and money into this remember you would still need your polishes different stages, sealant or wax or both, pads, an HD backing plate, quality microfiber towels, glaze (optional), 3M blue masking tape, etc. Its alot of items and it will not just be $125 more like $350-400 or more so if $125 already seems steep for you. I suggest just claying your car and getting a quality sealant or carnuba wax and leave the correction for a later date, when your willing to invest the time and money man. As for other polishers there are several out there that cost less but will not produce the results you are looking for. There are rotary polishers out there for less than the PC that will provide good results but keep in mind that since your a beginner you will most likely either burn through your finish or leave holograms in it. That is why usually most of us start with the PC or equivalent DA polisher not a rotary until you get better then you move up to a rotary buffer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.