Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine decided to clean his intake with purple power (I think, or some other equivalent cleaner) and soaked his tb, with attached tps in it and the iac separately.

Did he damage them?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well is the car running poorly....i have soaked my engine in degreaser before without issues

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
the only problem i ran into when i sprayed the degreaser and then power washed it was there was some moisture got under the dizzy cap and was throwing off the spark....

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
only ever used carb cleaner and never had a problem, I'd prob remove both sensors and blow them out with air just to make sure neither are still wet. clean both with carb cleaner and let dry completely then reinstall and pull the battery for 15 minutes then fire it up and down a few times for the ecm to relearn and see what happens.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have him try that... Wouldn't it dry out after a day or two on its own? We're in vegas where the humidity is almost always single digits

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so more details emerge... He threw his injectors in purple power too...

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I'll have him try that... Wouldn't it dry out after a day or two on its own? We're in vegas where the humidity is almost always single digits
whatever he used might have dried leaving a film on the sensors is what I was guessing and he cleaned his injectors with it too? wow

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
That purple power **** leaves a nasty film. I sprayed my engine with it and it screwed up my idle. I had to pressure wash the engine twice to get the film off and it stopped idling crappy after a few days. You're not supposed to soak anything in purple power though. It says on the bottle you're not supposed to let it sit.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
try using MAF cleaner, its made for cleaning electronic parts, since it leaves no oil and evaporates quickly

·
Registered
231 Posts
you can also use Isopropyl Alchohol (Rubbing alchohol) to clean electronic components if you've got a spray bottle and you're too lazy to go to autozone

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try electrical contact cleaner as well-I cleaned out my salt and pepper with it, and used carb cleaner for my IAC/TB and it ran fine. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gave him a set of some old 19 #'rs, used 2 cans of carb cleaner on the tps and iac and its back to normal...

I agree that purple power is nasty ****!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts